Let's make this thread an online English Class

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by curioucity, Sep 1, 2003.

1. jadedflower observer Valued Senior Member

However,

Jill is not a Suicide. But a case of suicide or someone who has commited suicide.

When asked how she died, one can simply say "suicide" or "it was suicide".

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. bob-bobby Born Again ;) Registered Senior Member

both are incorrect , the correct one is

if i called u , why the f u c k you didnt come , am i ur bloddy father servant TO CALL YOU AGAIN AND AGAIN ..... !!!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

one can simply say "suicide"

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

But you cannot say, 'I'm a suicide' or indeed, 'I am a murder'.

8. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

I suppose you could say "I am a suicide" if you were speaking from an afterlife viewpoint... Of course, the correct everyday expression would be "I am committing suicide," - perhaps better to use the future tense.

9. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

I am considering to commit suicide. X is considering to muirder me. I missed tonight's episode of The Soprano's, but I am not considering suicide. I am slightly drunk.

10. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

I think you could. It's not proper surely, but it is part of the slang that may one day be consdered proper.

For instance, "Kurt Cobain was a suicide waiting to happen." Or, "I am a suicide waiting to happen."

Same goes with murder. It can be used in an identical manner. The 'waiting to happen' or perhaps some other identifier is needed to show that the verb is an event being discussed.

"Waiting to happen" is a gerund, right? What would the "suicide" or "murder" be in this sentence? I never could diagram a sentence for shit. Maybe this is proper english after all, though, come to think of it.

11. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Sheesh. The woman asked the question on the 17th of April 2004.
    And she received the first answer to this on the 13th of January 2005.
    Almost nine months later.

To have to wait for an answer for that long is suicide. Sheer suicide.

12. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Exactly - suicide being both noun and verb, as in the "waiting to happen" sentence.

13. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I need to post something here just so that next time I look for threads I've posted, it will pop up. This is my favorite kind of stuff.

So here it is: "Sex" can be a verb.

I just got this scarlet macaw from the quarantine station. Someone was caught trying to smuggle it into the country and the government confiscated it. I need a female breeder. I'll have to sex this one to find out what I've got. I'm glad they've developed the new DNA sexing that can be done from a stool sample. The old method of surgical sexing was expensive and risky.

I'm sure you'll all be able to use that one in a sentence tomorrow.

14. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

sex...adverb or noun. suicide...adverb or noun.

15. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

I have a question about possesive-attributed phrases.

We all know that if, like, a book belongs to you, you can say that it is your book, or if it belongs to, say, Jane, you can say it's Jane's book.
    Question:
    While I think it is okay to change this sentence:
    "That house belongs to some of them." -> emphasis on keeping the phrase
    into:
    "Some of them possess that house"
    Is it okay, and if it is how should, to make the sentence so that the phrase "some of them" is placed right before the noun?

16. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Uh, I wouldn't exactly say it's okay. It's rather awkward English. I don't think a native speaker would put that sentence together except under the most extreme circumstances, even though technically it is not incorrect.
    No, I would say that is definitely not okay and there's no way to do it. You're thinking of

"Some of their house"
    or
    "Some of them's house"

It just doesn't work.