Libya - The 3rd Domino

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Gustav, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Gustav Banned Banned

libya's revolution seems pretty bloody. alleged navy and airforce bombardment of cities, militias slaughtering civilians. gaddafi however seem to be on his way out.

Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi said he hadn’t fled the country as diplomats resigned and soldiers deserted in protest over a crackdown on anti-government protesters that has left hundreds dead.

“I am here in Tripoli and not in Venezuela,” the Libyan leader said in comments broadcast on state TV. “Don’t believe the dog news agencies,” he said, leaning out of his car to speak into a microphone, while holding a white umbrella over his head.

Qaddafi’s remarks came after his son threatened “rivers of blood” amid an eruption of violence that the International Federation for Human Rights says has killed more than 300 people. As oil prices surged to the highest in more than two years, Libya’s deputy ambassador to the United Nations accused his government of “genocide.”

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

a battle hardened revolutionary

defectors in malta

libya will probably need help getting back on its feet......

A post-Qaddafi Libya could easily be roiled in internal battles, ultimately dividing into several smaller countries, each dominated by local tribes. That could make life better for some Libyans, and it could make life worse for others; it would almost surely be problematic for Western companies with oil interests in the country. Modern Libya is an artificial construct, a remnant of colonialism. The glue holding it together is failing, and the warnings of chaos are real. The choice between chaos and oppression is always a tricky one, but this population is tired of oppression and corruption, and chaos may look more attractive to them.

Chaos tends, however, to wear thin. We all understand that there is strong opposition to Qaddafi, but it’s not clear whether there is any internal coherence to that opposition. Though the Muslim Brotherhood did not run the Egyptian revolution, they did help give people a flag under which to rally, and Libya does not have any real opposition leaders; it hardly has any internal opposition as we generally define the word. If these protests are successful, and if Qaddafi flees, as there are already rumors he has, then who will take over? Libya has another important difference from Egypt: it’s a tiny country, with a population of just over six million. Even Tunisia has a population of over ten million. All the educated and competent people in Libya know one another, and most of them have worked in one way or another with the Qaddafi regime. If Qaddafi goes, there are not enough trained bureaucrats or statesmen to construct a new Libyan government that is not an extension of the old one, and this fact alone could propel Libya back into some form of tribalism. That failing, his stooges are likely to end up playing a significant part in running the show.​

How Qaddafi Lost Libya

perhaps the un could get involved in this most excellent of opportunities
    ja
    some blue helmeted tunisians and egyptians please

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. jmpet Valued Senior Member

Libya's going down- I called it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

i think you forgot bahrain and yaman, and also morroco is starting to revolt

anyway, what gadafi did to he's people,no leader, never ever have done to he's people, like gadafi did, in the history of mankind.
    i can't explain it how it is their! the most army and police and all libyans, are protesting and etc... so gadafi brought troops from tchad in africa, and started to kill the people
    and the west, was completely silent for long time, only lately the UN said if what is said that you are doing is true, you will be in a serious troubles for making violations to the human rights, etc... is it because of oil?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

you mean it will be in troubles and etc... after gadafi is gone? and the country become screwed and maybe like iraq? no, you'll see

8. jmpet Valued Senior Member

Stop being ignorant, dammit. Nations are "collective bodies of people"... THIS will be the focus of history on this event. Ugh.

9. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

how am i being ignorant? pleas explain

and infact, history wan't be only docusing on this event, but on all all the events, that happened

10. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Its not necessarily about oil.

Shadow, the UN and the US has an incredible track record of choosing the losing sides in revolutions. Vietnam was the worst example. We fought in Vietnam not because of communism, but because the French were our allies.

For all intensive purposes the Vietnamese were fighting for the same reason as the Americans fought in the American Revolution. And both sides knew it, but as an ally to the oppressors we felt we had to help France.

Because of that the US has alienated many countries. So this time the US and Obama are trying to show some restraint and let events play out as they would if the US never existed.

11. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Shadow1, here's a lesson on reading comprehension.

He isn't saying that history will ONLY focus on this event.

He means that when this event in Libya is recorded historically then this will be the focus of it.

Basically that means that 50 years from now if you look in a history book on the subject of Libya's revolution, this is what it will focus on.

Since he said "this event", he means the events in Libya specifically, not necessarily those in the Middle East.

Don't worry about it, english is one of the most difficult languages to learn. It is a language meant to convey as much information in as little time as possible making it very efficient. That is why the vast majority of computer programs are programmed in english. Even if the end product will never utter an english word. The reason is because English is a language that is very adept to adapting to new technical terms and slang. Context means a lot to english.

12. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

still don't trust USA

13. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

ah i see

14. superstring01 Moderator

Who said you should?

Point is, that in these recent instances, the US has every strategic motivation to get involved, yet has stayed out of the fray. That much, I think, is a good sign.

(on a side note: If Gaddafi does continue to bomb and kill his people, I think that NATO should not hesitate to close his airspace and, perhaps, strike his compound)

~String

15. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

WTF!! in libya, 10 000 dead!!!!!

OMG!!!

16. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

yes i know usa will try to get involved, anyway, i say sadly, not fortunetaly, anyway libyan armies are preapring to attack gadafi and kill him, and he will end up just like the romanian dictator, i'mù hoping it ends very soon, gadafi is insane, i can insure you, i think he is in a hesteria now, he is not normal! he said there's no dead person in libya!! while 10 000 are killed! or more
    and if usa is going their, the only reason is oil, or other benefits

17. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

What is "normal" for Gadafi? Gadafi, like other despots, is the last to know that he is history.

The real question now, is what comes after Gadafi?

18. superstring01 Moderator

Actually, the US won't get involved. The fact that this point misses you is either due to (a) hatred that is blinding you or (b) your lack of knowledge as to why the US won't get involved.

President Obama is currently trying against all odds to wind down American involvement in several overseas conflicts (which is one of the few things about his administration that I like). He has an established cultural-military infrastructure that is next to impossible to oppose. As it stands, there isn't the money, the desire or the executive will to be overly concerned about Libyans killing themselves when far closer allies, in far critical areas, like Egypt, were left alone as well.

The only way you're going to see western airplanes overhead is if the EU and the USA do so in concert to protect the civilians on the ground from getting slaughtered by Gaddafi's air force.

Wait? The Libyan army is preparing to attack Gaddafi? Then are they just warming up by slaughtering innocent civilians until then? Brilliant.

~String

19. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

why?

20. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

not everything is about oil

You just said before that gadafi is insane. Would it be so bad for the US to come in, remove him, and then leave?

21. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

i didny say that killing innocent people, but the place of gadafi to kill him and etc.... 10 000 person are killed by gadafi!!

he army people who are not under gadafi command anymore, and with the other civilians, planning to attack he's palace or whatever, anyway now, eastern libya, is caputred by civilians and the army people who are with the civilians

also, gadafi brought troops from africa, because aloot aloot of the armies and police joined the people in protestations and etc...

22. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

yes true, you can't predict, now, time will tell

23. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

because, i'll explain later, i'm in hurry

and how? by sending military forces? to remove him like in iraq?

and it IS always about oil and benefits, not for "good" and "world peace and living happily ever after"