Life After Trump

Discussion in 'Politics' started by joepistole, Oct 10, 2016.

1. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

The Republican Party fueled by hate, anger, fear and ignorance, i.e. right wing entertainment, is shattering. So the question is what comes next? I think it's almost a certitude the party will lose this election cycle and lose big. So what's next for the party?

My guess is Trump isn't going away. I think Trump loves being a political rock star. He loves the attention and adulation of being a political leader. So when he fails in a few weeks, and I'm sure he will, much to the chagrin of the Republican donor class, I don't think he's going away. So what’s next?

What happens to the people who have deserted Trump? Trump’s not a guy to let bygones be bygones. What happens to the party? This could be the end of the Republican Party as we have known it. We may very well be witnessing the birth of a new party, the Trump Party.

Cruz, who is equally crazy and unprincipled, is waiting in the wings to take over the Republican Party. Will we have two parties, a Cruz led Republican Party and a Trump led Trumpian Party. I think the Republican donor class is hoping to put all this unpleasantness behind them and get back to business as usual as soon as possible. I don’t think that’s realistic, and I don’t think that’s going to happen. All these ginned up Trump supporters aren’t going quietly into the night after the elections, and I don’t think Trump is either. If that happens, Trump will have effectively destroyed the American right wing. Instead of 1 minority part representing about a thirds of the country, we will have two parties representing a third of the population with Trump’s party being the largest. Perhaps Trump takes over the Republican Party instead and Republican donors either become Democrats or form a new party.

So what will the Republican Party look like after 2016 and why? But whatever happens, I think the Republican Party as we have known it is dead. What happens to the Republican entertainment industry?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

The hate anger an fear wont go away after trump looses... the right wing entertainers will continue to spread the crap that fuels the ignorant... an they will flail around until the Democrat party has a bad term an then some grass root nut job party will finaly win.!!!

Education might finaly evolve to the pont that we can get back to a 2 party system which includes sane people in both parties.!!!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Seattle Valued Senior Member

The angry built up in a least part of the population (leading to Trump in the first place) will not go away just because this election is over. So, in a way, nothing changes.

Trump will be irrelevant after this election. Republicans already hold most other elected positions and that's not likely to change anytime soon.

The Republicans may support a more mainstream candidate next time but I don't see them moderating anytime soon either.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I've read often enough during this campaign trail, speculation that Trump was chosen as the repub front runner in order to get Hilary elected.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Seattle Valued Senior Member

He did used to be a Democrat and in his past runs for the Presidency I never thought he was serious and was just going for the publicity. I think things got out of hand this time (people were fed up) and he actually got chosen.

Early on I thought it was funny that he may just be goofing with Hillary as a way to help her. At this point I don't think that however. Certainly the Republican's that picked him didn't have that in mind.

9. timojin Valued Senior Member

I believe if Trump gets elected he will resign in the first year, He will laugh at the world . He is set to show accomplish that he can doe it and then spill some urine on the system.

10. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

You believe a lot of things that have no grounding in reality. What possible benefit would the Donald gain by resigning from the most powerful position in the entire world? Perhaps he would stick it out to feather his nest, no? Why not? Support your wacky idea - I wait with bated breath...

11. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

That's not consistent with his personality. That's not consistent with his history. I think it possible, that if he were elected, Republicans in Congress would try to remove him through the impeachment process. I've heard Republicans call into right wing talk shows and make that recommendation.

12. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Perhaps changes to the nomination system that qualifies future candidates is needed in law.
    Trump has demonstrated the greatest weakness of the USA political system. ( hopefully the cost is not too high)

13. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

In time I believe that Trump will fade into oblivion, gone and forgotten: Let's just hope it happens well before he has time to do too much damage.

14. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

The problem isn't the nomination system. The problem is the rise of Republican entertainment industry and the increasing radicalization of the Republican Party where Republicans are never troubled by fact and reason. That's the problem. It was the case for many decades that broadcasters were required to issues of national importance fairly, honest, and equitable. Republicans repealed that law decades ago and that created the Republican entertainment industry where Republicans are not only entitled to their own opinions but their own facts as well.

As a result we now have millions of Americans out there who are grossly ignorant and fired up with passion that's fed a course of hate and misinformation daily by Republican demagogues, i.e. entertainers. For many years now Trump has led the Birther movement; 75% of Republicans believe to this day that Obama isn't an American citizen despite the publication of Obama's birth certificates both long and short form, his birth announcement, and the testimony of several individuals including the Governor of Alaska. The problem isn't the nomination process, but rather the misinformation which is fed daily to the Republican base. As a famous American once said, " Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." Well, now thanks to Republican entertainment and the repeal of The Fairness Doctrine, Republicans are entitled to their own facts.

Magical Realist likes this.
  15. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I don't think Trump will fade into oblivion any time soon. That's never been his style. Trump has always lived for the limelight and adoration he receives from sycophants. Trump's not going away. The only way Trump goes away is in a coffin, and I don't think that's going to happen any time soon.

We need to hope Trump has scared the hell out of the Republican donor class. Perhaps they will be more inclined to reinstate the Fairness Doctrine post Trump. We need better informed voters. No sane voter would vote for a guy who wants to torture prisoners. Trump wants to torture prisoners. He wants to throw his political opponents in jail.

16. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Trump isn't going away from the limelight but he is probably going away from politics if he doesn't win.

17. ForrestDean Registered Senior Member

I think he will probably say he only did this for fun.

18. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

To use a video game metaphor: The Republican Party will get some much-needed cosmic credit to spend when the ... uh ... strange collection of factions including people like Lindsey Graham and John Kasich, Rob Portman, Paul Ryan, and others have to throw down against the civic unrest invoked by Trump supporters when they lose. And, sure that sounds to a certain degree like stuffing the basket full of deplorables, but the candidate himself is already appealing to the illegitimacy of his impending loss:

The dangerous part of all this is that Trump's idea of "unshackling" means undermining the legitimacy of the election that he is poised to lose. At rallies in Pennsylvania this week, Trump has made the most pointed case yet that the only way he can lose the presidency is if it is stolen from him through voter fraud.

More specifically, he insisted that Pennsylvania will be wrongly wrested from his grasp due to shenanigans in Philadelphia. "We have to make sure we're protected. We have to make sure the people of Philadelphia are protected, that the vote counts are 100 percent," Trump said in Wilkes-Barre. "I hear these horror shows and we have to make sure that this election is not stolen from us and is not taken away from us. And everybody knows what I'm talking about."

What he's talking about, but what he won't actually say, is that Philadelphia's largely black electorate will commit voter fraud. He's been dog-whistling this message for months, telling his almost entirely white base to deputize themselves as poll watchers and go to "certain areas" and "other communities" in Pennsylvania to keep an eye out for fraud.

Simon Maloy's↱ note yesterday on the Wilkes-Barre appearance seems to have gotten lost in the noise surrounding questions regarding Donald Trump's apparent fealty to Russia, in which case perhaps today's report for Salon↱ ("Donald Trump is not a Target store: Sorry, Trump donors, you're not entitled to a refund"), or the NBC News↱ headline he mocks in the opening paragraph ("Major GOP Donors Are Asking Trump for Their Money Back"), seems merely a moment to enjoy the schadenfreude:

The triggering event for all this was the recently revealed tape of Trump boasting in 2005 that he uses his celebrity status to sexually assault women without consequence. "I cannot express my disappointment enough regarding the recent events surrounding Mr. Trump," wrote one in an email obtained by NBC. "As a father of two daughters preparing for marriage, I am repulsed by his comments regarding women."

The other donor wrote: "His comments in regards to the female gender are very childish and embarrassing in today's society. How am I suppose [sic] to respect and support Mr. Trump with his attitude towards women?"

Those concerns and questions are absolutely legitimate. Of course, they were no less legitimate two weeks ago, two months ago or two years ago. They were certainly legitimate when these two donors cut their first checks for Trump and started raising money for him. Donald Trump has been a sexist lout for the entirety of his life in the public eye. His presidential campaign has been saturated with gross sexism from the get-go. That audiotape of Trump bragging about how he forces himself on women was shocking only because he was freely and proudly admitting to sexual assault, but it certainly wasn't out of character for the Republican nominee.

Now that they've arrived at the belated realization that Trump is a sexist and morally vacant goon, these donors are responding the only way they know how: by trying to reclaim the financial assistance they provided the selfsame sexist goon. Unfortunately for these donors, their refund requests probably aren't going anywhere.

But th is is also worth considering in the question of the GOP post-electoral psyche↗, and whether we hear a complaint that "Republican voters were denied their voice, thus a conspiracy raised trump to the nomination".

The New York Times wrote it up as Trump trying to unnerve Hillary, but a report from Patrick Healy and Maggie Haberman↱ late last month includes Donald Trump sketching a delegitimization argument in the wake of his disastrous first debate:

Mr. Trump, aiming to unnerve Mrs. Clinton, even indicated that he was rethinking his statement at their last debate that he would "absolutely" support her if she won in November, saying: "We're going to have to see. We're going to see what happens. We're going to have to see."

You know, frequently in American politics we offer platitudes about how we all are on the same side―America―even if we disagree. I've known at least a few conservatives over the years determined to test that principle, and hopefully this terrible episode of the GOP nominating Donald Trump will be the proverbial rock bottom, because we are well past the realm of making excuses: There are still among prominent Republicans those who will say incredibly stupid things↱ like, "I am supporting the Republican nominee because I think Hillary Clinton is an absolute disaster", much like the voters who say they're not down with all the bigotry but they like that Trump says what he wants, or those strange factions through history that want us to believe they're on the side of justice but keep telling people why it has to wait―e.g., the Gay Fray, and the idea that sure, one supports human and civil rights, but this is all happening too fast and it makes the people who disagree uncomfortable so, you know, we kind of need you to wait (except, you know, we won, and now we have no excuses for why everyone else who's been waiting for the comfort of bigots and fools doesn't get the same), but I digress.

What will the GOP establishment and its traditional rank and file do? If Donald Trump's legions bring violence in response to the election, what does the GOP do?

With luck―sorry, RNC―there won't be significant problems. However, if shit gets really bad and the Republican establishment responds pretty much exactly correctly from the outset and all the way through, the GOP will find healthy life after Trump, and reasonably strong prospects heading into the midterm.

It's the weirdest thing; this might be the ultimate Republican maneuver where they paint themselves into such a corner that their best bet is to pray for disaster so they can be seen heroically prancing about a pretense of duty. And if there was any fundamental justice about the Universe ... well, why worry about such pretentious artifice?

Something like that. We'll have to see how bad things get before the election in order to comprehend the hole the GOP will be in, Trump-card violence or no.

†​

On a related note, I would recall the aforementioned donors who want their money back: I, too, am a father of a daughter, and it really doesn't matter what I might think about the fact that such conservatives needed this episode to (ahem!) figure it out; they are, at least, better off than Rep. Blake Farenthold, about whom the less said ... well, no, there is nothing acceptable about that particular gaffe, which qualifies as kinsley.

Samantha Bee explains:

Bee berated members of the Republican Party who still supported Trump—like vice presidential nominee Mike Pence and Sen. Mitch McConnell—but lambasted the fact that they denounced Trump by saying they themselves are the fathers, brothers and sons of actual human women.

"Trump's comments are not wrong because you have female relatives," said Bee, noting that 100 percent of Americans have female relatives. "Trump's comments were wrong because women are human and if you hadn't stood cravenly by while he insulted them for a year, then you wouldn't be in the pile of elephant shit you are today."

(qtd. in Guarnieri↱; boldface accent added)

Notes:

Caldwell, Leigh Ann. "Major GOP Donors Are Asking Trump for Their Money Back". NBC News. 11 October 2016. NBCNews.com. 12 October 2016. http://nbcnews.to/2dbPZdA

Carney, Jordain. "Cruz: I'm still backing Trump". The Hill. 10 October 2016. TheHill.com. 12 October 2016. http://bit.ly/2e8IbtV

Guarnieri, Grace. "Samantha Bee thinks Republicans upset over Donald Trump’s sexism don’t get it: 'The comments were wrong because women are human'". Salon. 11 October 2016. Salon.com. 12 October 2016. http://bit.ly/2dXznIT

Healy, Patrick and Maggie Haberman. "Donald Trump Opens New Line of Attack on Hillary Clinton: Her Marriage". The New York Times. 30 September 2016. NYTimes.com. 12 October 2016. http://nyti.ms/2e6fEKY

Maloy, Simon. "Donald Trump goes rogue: Suggesting that Pennsylvania will have voter fraud, Trump’s undermining the system". Salon. 11 October 2016. Salon.com. 12 October 2016. http://bit.ly/2dXsbwq

—————. "Donald Trump is not a Target store: Sorry, Trump donors, you’re not entitled to a refund". Salon. 12 October 2016. Salon.com. 12 October 2016. http://bit.ly/2dKr8BH

19. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

It's is sort of ironic that Trump demonstrates and espouses 'everything that is wrong" with the Western world's predilection to rampant and excessive elitism, capitalism, fraud and deception as being standard tools of trade when dealing with each other.
    He showcases for his viewers all the things that are responsible for global distrust, dissonance and ultimately corruption of the spirit.
    He is a mirror for all that we humans (generally speaking) need to stop "secretly" admiring about ourselves.

Tiassa likes this.
  20. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Tiassa and others,
    Do you think the USA may learn from this experience and put in place a nomination system that prevents such a folly and embarrassment in the future?
    (perhaps if he is damaging enough to his own party there may be bipartisan support generated for changing the rules that disqualify someone from becoming president.)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  21. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Funny you should ask, Trumpers already have some ideas...

Trump supporters want to repeal women's 19th Amendment rights because he would win if only men voted
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/trump-supporters-repeal-19th-amendment-article-1.2828571

Make America 1919 again?

A group of Donald Trump supporters has begun using the Twitter hashtag #repealthe19th after a map showed he would win the election if only men voted.​

The #repealthe19th tag was used last month, though the map brought out a new crop of people who want to make a Y chromosome mandatory at the ballot box.​

A few sample tweets:

“Give out nice enough handbags and most broads would gladly trade their voting rights for one. #repealthe19th,” user Michael Maier posted Tuesday.

“I would gladly waive my right to vote to solidify the win! #TrumpPence2016 #NeverHillary,” Lilo313 said.​

Some more:
    http://www.politicususa.com/2016/10/12/trump-supporters-launch-effort-vote-women.html

Lᴇ Cʀᴏɪsé Tᴜᴇᴍᴀᴜʀᴇs @MrJohnQZombie
    If women are truly childish enough to not vote for Trump since he thought Miss Universe needed to stay in shape, #RepealThe19th.#KellyFile

David McCall @WoodrowMelkin
    This is why we need to repeal and not replace the 19th amendment. #RepealThe19th https://t.co/bV4WnbgQ2H

Dissident Right ≠ @adissidentright
    #RepealThe19th https://t.co/p8AEBnLyYL

The Republican Party’s answer is always to keep the voters who don’t support them from voting. Republicans have spent years pushing bogus voter ID laws that target minorities, urban residents, the poor, younger voters, and even the elderly.

Their efforts haven’t stopped Democrats from winning presidential elections, so they have decided to attack the majority of the US population by repealing the 19th Amendment to the Constitution. Republicans are hellbent on building a white male-only electorate because that is the only way that they can win.

The Republican Party have become so extreme under Donald Trump that his supporters want to deny women the right to vote. The war on women has just been escalated to an attempted constitutional genocide of female equality and liberty.
    The Republicans are very eager to "learn from this experience and put in place a nomination system that prevents such a folly" - they just have a bit of difficulty with the "embarrassment" part.

22. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Each party is responsible for its nomination process. So do I think Republicans will change their nomination process? NO. It ain't happening. The US federal government isn't involved in party nominations. Each political party makes its own nominating rules. Do I think Republicans will learn from this experience? NO. Learning isn't something which comes easily to Republicans. Republicans don't need bipartisan support to change their nomination process. Republicans can change their rules without the consent of any other political party.

And as previously noted, the problem really isn't the nomination process, it's the right wing entertainment industry which appeals to the Republican base and keeps Republicans dumb and angry. The US had something called the, "Fairness Doctrine" which required broadcasters to present all issues of national importance fairly and honestly. Republicans killed that law, and since then Republicans have become more and more extreme with each passing year, because they have their own set of "facts', i.e. fictions. Owing to the Republican entertainment industry Republicans never need to confront an inconvenient truth. Political ideology becomes a religion, and you know how difficult it is to reason with a religious zealot. It's impossible, and so it is with the American right wing.

23. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Indeed, if Republicans had their way only white land owning males would vote. That's how the founding fathers created it.