Life is not fair? Is BS.

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by river, May 12, 2016.

1. river

Why do I think this?

It seems reasonable ; life does what it does ; we are put in a situation ; tough situation and really beyond tough ; damned tough ; sometimes ; we all do not have the same circumstances in life as others ; so suck it up , as the saying goes.

Think your self as Wild life ; that is life .

Disagree

In wild nature there is no choice ; Nature dictates your environment; your destiny.

But we as Humans can change this " life is not fair " BS ; simply because we THINK .

Thinking and the ability to act and build on what we think ; takes us Humans beyond just the consequence of nature. Beyond just being an animal controlled by Nature.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Attached Files:

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Don't be silly. Animals are continually making choices. I was just watching a crow decide which stick to pick up for its nest construction. A moment before I was watching a rabbit decide whether the noise it just heard was a threat, or could be ignored.

Animals think and they make choices. Of course you can choose not to believe this.

True also of humans. Try living in an Indonesian long house in Siberia and see how well that works out for you.

As has already been noted, animals also think.

We are not beyond the consequences of nature. We are subject to the consequences of nature. Three examples:

1) Thinking a passage to the Indies could be found across the Atlantic led to the deaths of a multitude of native Americans through the ravages of smallpox and other diseases to which they had no immunity.

2) Thinking about ways of powering our civilisations has led to global warming.

3) Thinking that it was a good idea to remove the safety controls from a nuclear reactor led to the pollution by radioactive elements of a substantial proportion of much of Europe.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. river

Rabbit can not control it's environment.

Humans can .

8. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Clearly you know nothing about the ecology and ethology of rabbits.

And, on reflection, very little about humans.

sideshowbob likes this.
  9. river

Clearly you have NO IDEA what I'm talking about.

10. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Then you need to improve your writing skills. The primary responsibility for assuring understanding in a written communication lies with the writer. You are clearly making absolute assertions:
    • Animals do not think
    • Animals have no control of their environment
    • Humans have (implicitly) total control of their environment
    • Humans are the only animal that think
    These absolutes are demonstrably false. i.e. What you have stated is wrong.

If you wish to revise it to reflect that, in general, humans have the opportunity to distance themselves further from the natural environment and thereby reduce what is perceived of as making life unfair, then I might not have much to disagree with. (The underlined words are the important qualifiers that supply the nuance your absolute statements lack.)

But if you intend to maintain your silly, absolutist position, then your posts deserve the condemnation and ridicule they will receive from me.

Edont Knoff, Daecon and paddoboy like this.
  11. Edont Knoff Registered Senior Member

Calvin, "This isn't fair!"
    Calvin's Dad, "Life isn't fair"
    Calvin, "But why can't it be unfair in my favor?"

I see no wrong in the notion "life isn't fair". There are countless examples where life is unfair to people. A lifetime might look long, but good and bad luck don't even out throughout a lifetime for some people.

12. birch Valued Senior Member

Actually you are unaware of or missing a crucial difference in your inane statement of 'thinking of yourself as wildlife'.

I'll use the recent example of a shady and irritating landlord thats really tried my patience and infuriated me. There are artificial constructs in place that prevent me from carrying out my natural 'wild' side according to your logic. Because if those consequences werent in place, i would have most probably stabbed him to death or shot his head off as i had those thoughts when seething with anger. Uh, so even though im more a victim of the situation, in essence its because the fuker is protected from an intense natural 'wild' negative reaction because the full 'extent' of the 'wild' in people is put in check or bridled or else all hell would break loose. Now if those artificial consequences werent in place similar to a dam holding back water not only would i probably killed him in a fit of anger but also all his relatives so there would be little issue of further revenge or backlash and of course in all honesty also because i dont give two shits about them etc. Now if we are going to go all 'wild' that can be quite a game changer. On the one hand perpetrators arent held back but neither are victims as anything goes and however you can do it. Its quite common for perpetrators to be most often protected by the 'law' because there are consequences that are not in place in 'nature' or the 'wild' if one takes justice into their own hands. duh?

Its a bit more complicated than ya think but you are so sure of short sighted points and overly simplified banal logic.

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  13. river

Not really.

The basic thing is ; is that we can/ no ; we are capable of thinking beyond just instinct; because we can; the Shuttle ; the Space Station; and the private companies that want to ; take us there ; into space.

We think ; and have the capability to go far beyond instinct.

river

14. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Life can be unfair, but the quality of our lives is often determined by how we react to the unfair circumstances that are brought upon us. Not the mere circumstances, themselves.

Edont Knoff and sideshowbob like this.
  15. river

Can't disagree.

But also , is to realize; that we are beyond just instinctual living forms. We surpassed this mind set years ago.

16. birch Valued Senior Member

This is so not true at all. Not everyone operates by logic and not everyone operates beyond instinct.

There is a collective over estimation of humanity that they have overcome base instinct or motives when in truth thats how most operate. Uh, most humans are pretty damn lowly/animalistic, illogical, mediocre or subpar in most ways.

We 'see' or 'note' how there have been some people who are exceptional in different ways either mentally, ethically/philosophically and physically as breakthroughs/achievements or a sign of higher evolution of the 'species' but realistically and technically that is not true at all.

It applies to 'some' humans but not even most. They are the ones who carry or benefit the rest because of their mental genius and/or exceptional character.

The reason this is not usual to blatantly point out is you arent going to get much cooperation if you dont make others feel good about themselves even if some of that self-image and labels by society are superficial (hype), incorrect or outright lies ( positive or negative) and usually over-estimation of worthiness or inflated sense of entitlement which is undeserved.

Remember humans like all species are biased towards themselves which means will exaggerate that they are above lower lifeforms in the sense they have risen above it when in fact its the very basis of most peoples life. Literally: eat, fuck, work, entertainment and satisfaction for the moment. Most people do NOT have higher or deep thoughts or profound motivations. Uh no, most of humanity definitely just 'wallowing' and deeply 'immersed' in base instincts with exceptions here/there and otherwise fringe pockets/sections.

17. river

True for the most part .

Look I've asked people and repeated the thread of ; Is Humanity more important than God.

I barely got a response. Seriously; maybe 5 to 10 people.

Although ; maybe just maybe ; more and more Humans feel better about themselves ; despite the damage that is done by a few.

Look ; our survival is based on our ATTITUDE towards ourselves; Humans.

We can not and will not survive without a Healthy attitude towards ourselves ; in the big picture of the Universe.

We as Humans have to imagine and think beyond the sky.

18. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Whether or not life is "fair" depends entirely on how you define "fair".

19. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

the word and meaning of " fair " -- is only, simply, a human concept and nothing more.

ajanta likes this.
  20. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

I tried to PM you but you did not allow that--anyways, are you the birch on ISS?

21. Spellbound Banned Valued Senior Member

We CAN think. And that is what makes us higher animals. Whereas some people might say "if we fail, we fail". That the deeper meaning is self-pursuing. But we must always, always give life our best shot so that if we fail we can look back and say "I did my best".

river and krash661 like this.