life: purposed to continue

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Bishadi, Mar 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bishadi Banned Banned

adding the 'd' changes the context of the word

perhaps address the word 'purposed'

so your dog has not purpose?

a fly has no purpose?

life has no purpose unless it has choice? SO i could take all the mitochondria from your body and you would be OK with that?

put a bowl of food down for your dog, what would be his intent?

Why would anything alive consume?

even that flower opened up for a reason, no choice involved.

all life is purposed to continue............ and still not an argument or question you post shares anything less, than your comprehension of what life does.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Life is not purposed.
    How's that?

As an individual dog?
    Or dogs as a whole?

No.

Are you confusing "function" with "purpose"?

What life "does" is not a matter of purpose, it's a matter of attribute.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bishadi Banned Banned

Bull

What's the purpose of a fish? to continue living (basic common sense)

Not- as a fish, my purpose is... that is the meaningless part

cuz the fish is not thinking about it; it is living by its inherent intent (instinct)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bishadi Banned Banned

define 'purposed' like i asked

there is a huge difference of the word

what does 'purposed' mean?

8. Bishadi Banned Banned

let me help you with simple words

9. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Exactly:
    REASON: where does the reason come from?
    IDEA: from whom?
    DETERMINATION: determined by whom?
    INTENTIONALLY: from where does the intent come?

10. Bishadi Banned Banned

then here is the part you miss when removing the 'd'

the past tense

Verb

purposed

Simple past tense and past participle of purpose.

so the usage of the term 'purposed' has nothing to do with why

it is shared the past participle

past participle (plural past participles)

(grammar) A participle indicating a completed action or state.

so instead of simply sharing sound wisdom (philosophy), it seems basic english in abc's should have been the first item to assist with

11. Bishadi Banned Banned

see what i mean

it has been your comprehension not the statement

purposed is a "A participle indicating a completed action or state."

the life 'exists'.......... completed action

and it is 'purposed to continue'

12. Bishadi Banned Banned

life: purposed to continue

seems i hit on one of the 'profound' items by accident

and after this thread and the education i have been exposed to on the inadequacies of the peers within

it aint me that is being dense!

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Common sense is often wrong, which is why we use science. You are unable to support this view with any reasoning. You lost.

Now you have dug yourself deeper into the hole. If the fish has no purpose because it's not thinking about it, then what is doing the thinking that gives fish in general a purpose?

If you read The Selfish Gene, you will find that the purpose of life certainly has NOTHING to do with the survival of the species. If anything, it is the passing on of genes (which is a very different matter), but in any case the language of purpose can mislead -- as it has misled you. Really there is NO purpose. It is simply that those genes that DO survive are the ones that we see, and whose manifestations we see, in the life that we see. That is all there is to it. There is no higher purpose to evolution. The only higher purposes in the universe are to be found in evolved brains, such as our own when we have a conscious purpose to achieve some goal. And our brains are so accustomed to this that they falsely -- as in your case -- ascribe purpose where it doesn't belong.

Richard Dawkins​

There is no purpose, no intention, life exists as it does thanks to a cascade of complex collisions between material objects with no awareness of the future.

14. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

You can't even get that right can you?
    You change your wording half way through and it is STILL incorrect:
    purposed is the past participle of purpose: same meaning, and
    From where is the goal assigned?
    From where does the intention originate?
    From where does the determination come?

Peers?
    You're not back with the sponge colony.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

A rock exists. By existing it continues to the next moment etc... so "a rock: purposed to continue"?

1. You are using words like "assign" which imply an external assignor. You need to demonstrate the validity of this implication.
    2. You misunderstand evolution. There is no purpose behind it. Evolution is merely the default end-result of mutations that become fit for a changing environment etc.
    It is merely a case of those being unfit within the environment dying off.
    There is no deliberate, conscious effort to adapt, to evolve. Either life does, or life doesn't. Evolution is not a purpose - it is merely what we have described the natural process of selection. Life itself makes no choices in the matter. One can not decide to "evolve".

A rock does things... including sitting still, maintaining structural integrity (lest it becomes dust) etc.

You appear to be putting a definite bias on your viewpoints to conclude that life has purpose beyond being what life is.

"A rock: purposed to continue".
    :shrug:

You need to demonstrate how "exists" equates to an inherent purpose. Otherwise this is merely a confidence statement.

You still haven't demonstrated why "alive" implies "purposed" any more than "existence" does... and thus "A rock: purposed to continue".

16. Bishadi Banned Banned

then be scientific; why does the fish eat? Have gills, reproduce? Are any of them 'doings' by choice or hardwired instinct?
    life does not need to think to do.

that is your hole, you just dug to even think that a living thing must think to have a purpose.

dawkins was not talking about anything even remotely consistent with 'life' having a instinct to survive.

i agree there is little awareness other than stimuli reacting. That does not mean a life is not purposed.

You are trying to identify a life as thinking about it, which is where you have gone off the deep end (dug a hole)

eg.... to have penicillan put into your body as medication is not that the fungi is there to think about it, but it definitely it put into a human body for a purpose.

17. Bishadi Banned Banned

not a one represents "purposed" with the 'd'........

you are back to the single portion of the word 'purpose'

"past participle" .........

a participle (from Latin participium, a calque of Greek μετοχη "partaking") is a derivative of a non-finite verb

NON FINITE!

get over it

18. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Ah I understand the problem now: you can look at a dictionary but not actually understand what you read.
    The word purposed is merely the past participle of the word purpose.
    They have the same overall meaning.
    Non-finite?
    As if that actually has any bearing....

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You have made some points which only reveal that you do not understand the question.

They do those things because the genes that led to a fish with such traits happened to survive in the environment where the fish was living.

That is why I said a fish could have an individual purpose, to spawn, to build a nest, ect. But that is different from asking what the purpose is of having fish exist in the first place.

Yes, humans use penicillan to cure disease. That does not mean that penicillan exists so that humans can cure disease with it. Such a purpose would require a creator with the intention to create a life form that humans could use to cure disease.

20. Bishadi Banned Banned

is the rock alive?
    it does and self evident; a living things itself has precepts to identify to even call it alive and they accentuate action (duty)

I unequivocally disagree and now you are into EXACTLY what the philosophical implication enacts

that evolution is bound to continue, by intent which is self evident just by observing 'evolution'

but life didn't die off (see extinctions)

Life continued, evolved and changed (to continue) existing even changing to continue within the environmental changes.

no one mentioned 'choices' as the act of evolving itself, is not identified to a choice or an individual action of choice; but life as a whole did and does change, and thereby evolved just to survive.

you bet i am putting in a bias in that i am simply observing a solid truth, that does in reality bridge many areas of comprehension.

That bias is completely against what many believe and why this thread is retaining so much activity; because the basic common sense, contradicts what many believe even when the evolution of species, performs the validity of the proposition of 'to continue'.

it is like splashing a flat surface of a pond; that wave will continue a soon as the impact is caused. and as some suggest, 'well it will equilibriate' fail to observe, the energy is still there and will continue just by the causation even occuring.

That direction of 'action' is what 'purposed' is all about. Once started, life will continue by intent; not by thinking about it.

if a life 'exists' and you are looking at it, then know that thing, whatever life it is, has an inherent purpose.

this rock thing you are one, has nothing to do with me. It was Oli comparing himself to a rock.

and i am not suggesting that alive implies purpose, i am suggesting if you are identifying that something is alive (meeting the definitions of life per se) then for it to be alive, then it has a purpose as the life, that it is

all life (meeting the definition) by existing therefore has an inherent purpose; or it wouldn't be alive or even existing.

kind of basic

21. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Oli,

And I ask again; what is life if it is separate from its representations?

How so?

Common sense.
    Babies have intent, but their intentions are based on
    simple requirements, as they grow, their intentions become more complex.

jan

22. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Do I represent the whole of life?
    Sponges, dandelions, lions?

Is someone on the dole doing work?
    Is a plankton floating along collecting sunshine and whatever doing work as it drifts?

New borns have intent?
    Or instinct?

23. Bishadi Banned Banned

which question?

and them levi's hardwire responses, so the actions the fish does to survive, eat, reproduce are within the structure of the living thing (purposed)

nothing is addressing the beginnings of life within this thread; it is stating that if a life 'exists' and you are able to hold it, see it, define it, then know it has an inherent duty, to continue! All cases!
    i don't do 'creators' other than to state that for that pencillan to be in your body, because a doc put it there, that life has a duty, while it is there.

such as a whale in in the ocean; don't care who put it there, but the fact is;

that life, while there doing what it does: is purposed to continue!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.