LIGHT SAILS:

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by paddoboy, Jan 26, 2015.

1. OnlyMe Valued Senior Member

When I was a child, I really believed a light mill/radiometer was spinning around because the light pushed on one side harder than the other (black or silvered). But when it was explained I set aside those childish conclusions and accepted the science that was offered.

Perhaps instead of posting a link that provided the history as well as an answer, I should have just quoted the answer and left the history to history. But I am not sure that it would have made a difference.

At some point if you are truely looking to understand anything, you have to be willing to accept the wisdom of those, not I, who took the time to examine the issue in detail. If what you keep returning to were accurate, the radiometer would work better in a complete vacuum. But when it has been tried, it did not work at all!

Like I said earlier stop dreaming long enogh to really understand what the link is presenting.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Seattle Valued Senior Member

What exactly does this mean?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. theorist-constant12345 Banned Banned

I answering questions about my opinions on the light sail and the Crookes device,
    It means the pressure of the gas wants to expand, the pressure is outwards towards the glass equal in all directions. It balances itself out .

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

Patents are granted for DEVICES, not premises, and even then, they do sometimes err. Please read the references provided and ask specific questions about the specific parts you don't understand.

8. theorist-constant12345 Banned Banned

If you could see it you would observe this picture, the paddles producing a ''centrifugal force'' on the gas which then will put pressure on the glass, a circular plane to the paddles motion.

Attached Files:

• gas.jpg
      gas.jpg
      File size:
      7.9 KB
      Views:
  9. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

What is velocity? If an object with velocity x bounces off another object, what is the change in velocity? What if it is absorbed?

10. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Pressure doesn't expand, pressure is the expansion. Your use of "equilibrium" makes no sense as well.

11. theorist-constant12345 Banned Banned

Pressure is not the expansion, pressure is the force induced on a surface by volume of forced mass into the containment not being equal to volume of space contained, no containment equals no pressure.

12. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Incoherent drivel.

13. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Light has momentum:
    Putting it simply when a solar sail absorbs a photon it gains momentum, when a solar sail reflects a photon it will gain twice the momentum.
    Elaborating on this, due to conservation of momentum laws, Initially while the photon has momentum, after it is reflected, it has twice the momentum. That momentum must be conserved and so the sail gains momentum.
    As the sail is quite massive, this equates to a tiny change in velocity but with enough photons you get a significant effect.

Again theorist constant, don't use a thread in the science section to push any of your fairy tale ideas that have already been discarded.

14. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

My reaction at this point can best be summed up as...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

dumbest man on earth and OnlyMe like this.
  15. OnlyMe Valued Senior Member

Even running the risk of repitition, stop dreaming long enough to read the whole link! Don't guess at what it means. If you don't understand something, ask for a better explanation.., before you start down the road with a handful of misunderstood, concepts.

From what you are posting you don't understand!

16. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

That was my reaction to Post #71 also, Kittamaru!!

see : http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/momentum/u4l2b.cfm

" One of the most powerful laws in physics is the law of momentum conservation. The law of momentum conservation can be stated as follows.
    For a collision occurring between object 1 and object 2 in an isolated system, the total momentum of the two objects before the collision is equal to the total momentum of the two objects after the collision. That is, the momentum lost by object 1 is equal to the momentum gained by object 2.

The above statement tells us that the total momentum of a collection of objects (a system) is conserved - that is, the total amount of momentum is a constant or unchanging value. "
    above quoted from : http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/momentum/u4l2b.cfm

17. nebel

re: shutters ; --how would that work, shading the sail? shutters would become sails, bathed in light. the tricky part is no matter how you angle the sail, there is always an outward component away from the sun, the sun gets weaker with the square of the distance, and the braking. bring your retro-rockets or sky-hook.

18. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I'm not sure that your reaction counts for much, dumbest man on earth, for many reasons.
    But I'm sure if Kittamaru has a problem with what I have said, he is able to put it himself.
    Why you havn't commented on theorist constant's crazy notions is beyond me.

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

20. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

Simple, I was busy commenting on the "crazy notions" of Post #70...the Photon and the Sail...both gaining momentum!!!???

see : http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/momentum/u4l2b.cfm

edited = Post #70...not #71... my bad!!!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  21. OnlyMe Valued Senior Member

Not to nit pick or anything but post #71 =

dumbest man on earth likes this.
  22. billvon Valued Senior Member

They quite often do. Simple example - US 4151431 A.

23. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

That's not what was said, but typical of you.
    But again, why not comment on the crazy notions of theorist constant?