Limits to knowledge?

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Dinosaur, Jul 12, 2015.

1. river

Your post I find naive brucep. Gravage is right no doubt.

The thing is how do our most brilliant minds avoid this.

The series by ABC's Scorpion is an excellent example of the Brillant mind doing good.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Gravage is totally wrong no doubt, and the obvious evidence shows he is wrong.
    Some people believe it is "honourable" to rail against science and express all the nonsense in the world in opposition and are inclined [like yourself] to wear it as a badge of honour.
    That's why they go no further then forums such as this, opened to any Tom, Dick and Harry.

The scientific method and peer review.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. river

But this brillant mind is beyond those in the peer review ; they have conundrum .

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

I know. That's effectively what I said with "The Hubble Volume is any volume centred on an observer beyond which things are expanding away from them faster than the speed of light."

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The volume is 14 billion LY in radius (due to assumptions used when the Hubble constant was established). But people are often surprised when observable universe is said to be c.46 billion LY in radius (hence significantly larger than the HV - and as such the two are not synonymous). They think "but the universe is only just under 14 billion years old, so how can something we see that is said to be 13.1 billion years old now be 46 billion light years away??"... well, the light we are seeing was emitted 13.1 billion light years ago, possibly when that galaxy was a mere million or so LY away from us, but in that intervening 13.1 billion years, it has expanded away from us to 40+ billion LY away. We are not seeing, and will never see, light that that galaxy emits now, as it is outside our HV.

And yes, those links are good. Wiki isn't too bad with that sort of stuff.

8. river

Well this all makes sense !! NOT

9. Gravage Registered Senior Member

Sorry, but you are wrong here, big time, the evidences all over the world prove that you are 100% wrong, because you see everything black and white and trust science and technology everything they say-no critical opinion, no critical mind.
    You don't dig enough dip, because you don't want to, dig deeper and you'll see your evidences that you look for, unless you reject these evidences-which you actually do all the time, and live in fancy fantasy world where everything is so beautiful of scienece and technology.

I know about this everything, but you are still wrong-why everyone think it's the space can stretch, you are forgetting the fact that in entire universe everything is made of fields-if space and nothing are unstable as scientists repeatedly say-it's obviously that nothing really is not nothing-its something and that something requires space to exist in-and that nothing is empty space.
    Please, I'm sick this big Bang religion-universe is just too damn big to say that everything with the big bang-examples would be just because the streets are wet, it doesn't mean the rain was falling.

That can be said for every single model in mathematical-the point with virtual particles is the following-they are called virtual because time of existence is too short.

All I'm saying-it's all based on real world facts-and you don't live in this world, I do.
    What you are saying is silly, it's silly as saying that we will survive to the end of the universe, it's silly to say that our knowledge is limitless with brain's vastly limited capacity to learn-and the fact the brain is also very much finite.
    You live in some fiction that will never be possible-this is what I hate with scientists most, one thing is to expect to live another several tens of thousands of years, the other thing is to think we will have infinite knowledge and survive the end of the universe-this scientists need to get physical, take some axe and go to the woods, to back to reality-their crazy hypotheses do much more harm than good.
    And the very fact it's all about the math-proves scientists have not evolved not even bit in terms of wisdom-what's the point of having all that knowledge without a slightest clue of wisdom-there is no point, it will only end up bad.
    After all, all of these new sciences they need teams are so complex, that not even teams of scientists combined cannot understand anything-if they do-quantum physics would be explained, for example, we cannot be much more knowledge to understand, because of the fact we cannot understand the ever-greater complexity of the problem-how many yeas it needs to crack something to understand and the length of this understanding increases more and more, the deeper we dig, in the end it would be so complex that all the smartest minds of would not be able to understand anything-wnad what do you think about new generations of scientists; do you really think they will be able to understand-no they wouldn't because they can't-the learning curve would be too complex for their brains to understand anything at all-this is what started to happen now, now imagine this in the next 50 years-just horrible-and this based on today's facts already, not some fiction stories on your side.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  10. Gravage Registered Senior Member

Please don't insult me with conspiracy theories, because I will vomit the next time you mention them-conspiracy theories are for stupid people-who listen to smart people who manipulate them to believe anything they say it's true-however that would be the case with Higgs boson as well-because I didlearn not to trust to statistics-yes statistical analysis is a very powerful tool, but also a tool that can be easily manipulated-since Cern is closed facility and no scientific team can actually check the authenticity of what exactly was found in Cern-because of the energies required to that, you only had 2 teams inside the Cern to check this out-but like I said when you have closed facility like Cern-statistics can be easily manipulated, plus the question is did they announce this just at the time, they needed money?

I'm talking about statistical analysis as something that should not be trusted, unless checked by millions of other teams of scientists on entire planet.
    The true example are multinational companies-everything they say that is true or secure, it should be tested by millions of other teams of scientists on entire planet, and not tested only in multinational companies themselves-pharmaceutical companies are good example for this-it's just mafia, like science and technology is, if you don't like what they say, you are pushed on the brink of insanity-because they are so-called "right" and you are so-called "wrong.

You can't know this for sure at all, there is no way you can know this, the very fact that you have laws of physics, chemistry and biology everywhere in the universe the same, as well as some form of balance call it energy balance, or whatever-only created this and other questions-that are unanswerable by math of anything else.

Yes, BB is a hypothesis, a religious one I hate to admit-everyone should be dealt with just because you see some afterglow and flatness really don't mean anything, and it can mean anything-when you are dealing with the universe that is so large all bets are off-because you can only see one side of picture-but not a true picture-this is why we ill know anything-just when you think you hit the wall-something else opens, and you are starting asking new questions.
    Because we cannot see outside the universe and because the universe is too big/large to see outside the saying that there is nothing outside the universe is completely wrong-besides universe=existence-and the existence cannot be created from nothing/unexistence, and cannot exist and expand inside nothing/unexistence-you know damn well this 100% wrong.
    Big Bang was created in larger space, but, we see the Big Bang of the beginning of our space time-like you have the beginning of any expansion and inside of this expansion everything exists-but that's our time and our space that we are created with-not all space-only the one created inside the Big Bang.
    I know what scientific theory is, but it seems all the time that facts always fit the theory, but it should be completely different-theory should fit the facts.

You are so sure that this isn't the case-when you start asking philosophical questions about the universe and the universe/existence itself-you can't really know anything for sure.
    Regarding space-time, yes everything is made of fields-go read something about quantum physics, classic physics, field is probably the most used word ever-we consider this as space and time, for time I have no problem, but an field is not space-field exists in space.

The problem is not with me, but with and all of you others combined here, the problem is with your faith in science and technology without changing our mentality-without it nothing is going to change.
    All of your claims and links don't mean anything-because when you debate the creation of the universe; these are simply opened questions-and that is your and their opinions-just because they say it is it doesn't mean it is-I'm strictly talking about the Big Bang hypothesis here and checking authenticity of scientists and technologists-you trust them, which means you don't have critical opinion/criticall thinking here, this is much like saying you believe into anything what religious extremist says to you.
    Just because we live better because of science and technology it doesn't mean that their hypotheses are always true.
    For example saying that the universe is not expanding into anything, that it's just expanding-is definitely wrong-just because none can't see outside the universe, and because of the models who "prove" the same thing.
    This is why I brought questions here that none is willing to answer them-how can existence (universe/Big Bang) be created from unexistence-because there is always some form of existence-and every form of existence has to have physical dimensions/sizes-dimensionless means it does not exist.
    This is why I said there is a space outside the Big Bang in which the universe was created-but the universe is waay too big to see iit outside, and if this space is totally empty-there are no interactions with this universe, and that's we cannot detect it ever/never.

And what's wrong with this, basically you are saying that you are gods and people who live in nature are morons, trust me you can learn from these people in the woods much more than you can from arrogant and selfish scientists and technologists who only think about how will they fulfill their dreams-without asking anyone at all, and selling crap of technology to kids, so they can manipulate them the way they want, and those same scientists don't care about anyone else, and say their way is the best-people have forgotten how to enjoy in nature, and science and technology has only brought uncertainty and complexity in our lives with so much stress that people get sick every damn single-just because of the goals of some seriously whacked lunatics who say their way is the best-and they give all the power to multinational companies and they say it's for the benefit for the mankind-this is by far the most hypocritical, the most selfish, the most arrogant facts that scientists and technologists possesses-and they are not even every of this.
    And you you complain people want to get back to woods-because they are free from scientists' world views and egomaniac goals, which is tearing apart our entire society/civilization-sure politicians and rich people are destroying the civilization-but scientists and techznologists are enabling them that-so living in the woods, have normal, ordinary, simple, peaceful life is million times better from the life you are offering-only a scientific/technological fanatic can speak such words about the life in the woods, who doesn't understand anything at all-that is why I said scientists and technologists do not possess at all a wisdom, inner peace, simplicity and spirituality, they want all, while people from the woods need just what is needed to survive-the most basic/the most fundamental things and they recycle everything.
    Science and technology has learned people about materialism that you need everything so complex, that you need stress, but you don't need spirituality and simplicity (yeah, right).

You are insulting everyone who is not thinking like you-that's the quality of religious person (and no, I'm not insulted at all, it takes very tremendous punishment to insult me)-and you think that only science and technology the right way-but they are not they are tools to create wars, to faaar create differences between rich and poor, and to establish a new world view that says everything else which is against such a science and technology is wrong, and should rejected-that's the behaviour of true religious movement-facts.

11. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Since this has turned into some silly antiscience rant could we move this to the fringe section?

paddoboy and Kristoffer like this.
  12. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

It makes very good sense. Which part do you not understand? What is giving you problems?

13. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

The explanation you gave seemed very accurate, clear and succinct to me...[shrug]

14. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Yes, we certainly have many self appraised brilliant minds that spend their time haunting science forums and revealing to the rest of us, all the stupidity and gullibility of accepted mainstream science.
    The Dodos on the other hand are all out there at the coal face working, researching and discovering for mankind...the fools! [definite tic mode on

]

15. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Perhaps you would like to point out all this evidence to me......Or are you just another typical blowhard anti science person, who spews nonsense without any evidence or reference to support such diatribe.
    You see that's why folks like you are confined to harass science and all it has achieved on forums such as this. These are the only outlet that people such as you have and you are making no difference at all to the real sciences and men and women who practise its many disciplines......the world progresses, mankind advances and in time we'll achieve most that is allowed by the laws of physics and GR.
    In the meantime, just as they are laughing at Bozo the clown, so to we laugh at you.
    The rest of your diatribe is really not worth commenting on.

16. river

Tough it out pad .

We all know you are not of the brilliant mind pad.

17. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Oh sure you do! [nudge, nudge, wink, wink

Is that right? The evidence certainly points to you indulging in conspiracy theories re science in general. I'll let your peers on this forum [and mine] be the best judge of who is conspiring total unsupported nonsense.
    Thank you....Another conspiracy ladies and gentleman!

Blah blah blah....And the nonsensical conspiracies continue.
    Again your ignorance of what a scientific theory is, is atrocious, although scientific theories do grow in certainty over time.
    Let's see....Evolution is certainly a fact that no one can deny....GR/SR have stood all observational and experimental tests and we know this is how the Universe operates.....The Abiogenesis scenario although we have no evidence for, appears the only logical incumbent scientific theory to fall back on....The BB of course is supported by overwhelming evidence and stands unchallenged so far in our knowledge of how the Universe/spacetime came into existence.
    Is that so? Well why not via the scientific method and peer review, submit your evidence and reasons for what you claim? Or are you just another anti science blowhard? Oh, and the BB is not an hypothesis....it's a well supported evidenced based scientific theory/model of universal evolution, that even the Catholic church has been forced to recognise.

There are lots of things that scientists/cosmologists as yet do not understand properly. It appears that you do though. So why are you here? Oh, yes that's right! This is a science forum open to any Tom, Dick and Harry, [or in this case open to any Gravage, river and jcc] and as such we have to listen to such nonsensical unsupported diatribe from egotistical self opinionated would be's if they could be's, while the world and scientific advancement marches on.
    More unsupported conspiracies?

Talk is cheap and you are certainly making the most of it. How about some evidence?
    The rest of your idiotic unsupported preaching is just the usual conspiracy laden diatribe [which you so fervently deny] and really not worth commenting on, other than to say, your opinion makes no difference to science and the Universe in the greater scheme of things.
    Plenty of wasted bandwidth is all I am able to see with your ranting.
    Have fun!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  18. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

That's OK river, I do know my place and have no qualms about it.
    You need to accept yours.

19. brucep Valued Senior Member

Hopefully when you evolve into an adult you'll be embarrassed by your lack of logic and lack of scholarship that leads you to believe such nonsense. Science isn't the source of the problems you document. It's a consequence of human sociopathy. That's a very big subject that needs addressing. Start with the oligarchs.

paddoboy likes this.
  20. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

No problems! Just thought I would elaborate a bit.

river has many problems with many aspects of cosmology. It's called being blinded by an agenda. He is a supporter of the long defunct Plasma/Electric Universe hypothesis...although I'm still rather puzzled he is unable to understand your post or at least the links that I gave....fairly basic down to earth logic and language.