Link between everyday life and your philosophy

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by A4Ever, Jun 2, 2002.

1. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

Hi everyone.

In this thread I would like to hear how you try to incorporate your philosophy on life in your specific life.

I ask this, because I find it to be great fun to form ideas about the nature of reality or about anything else, but when signing out of the forum, there lie everyday problems just waiting for you. It isn't always very clear how to apply your views when doing the dishes or getting along badly with another person.

This starting of the thread is very vague, but that way everyone can fill it in the way they like.

Since there are people around here with very strong views, I am really really curious! (Nelson...??

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Teri Curious Registered Senior Member

Hi A4ever,

I'm not really sure what you're asking but I'll give it a shot. I don't believe in god or religion and I'm a lot older than most of you.

In my everyday life I like it that everyone is different, that everyone has a different personality. I find it interesting that different countries produce people that have different facial features or different colour skin, I know we're all human beings and I can grasp the idea that climate might have something to do with skin colour evolving, but I wonder why Asian people have such different eyes, or why most of them are short compared to people from some other countries? I wonder would that be classed as different 'species' of humans, just the same as it is in the animal world? I guess it probably does, but I wonder how it evolved in the first place? What I can't understand is cruelty and violence. Where did this characteristic evolve from? I wonder what the world would be like if there was none of that?

I think most of our personalities are shaped by the way we're raised, but it's not what we're taught that moulds our personalities, but how we react to what we're taught or how we perceive what we see and hear. You often hear the expression the 'black sheep of the family' - I think that that's just someone who, even though they were brought up the same as the rest of the family, took a different road; and I don't think that's a bad thing.

I remember some of my first disappointments in childhood was finding out that people who were teachingt the 'goodness' of religion were the first people I found were lying to me. I couldn't understand what the point of lying was? What good did it do? Little kids shouldn't be lied to for no reason. One of the first disappointments I remember was the nuns telling us that they lived in poverty, that god wanted them to suffer so they could get into heaven. It made be want to go home and bring them some food (when you're a little kid, you don't expect nuns are going to tell you anything that wasn't true). Then one weekend I saw a couple of nuns in a supermarket buying their groceries, lollies and sweets and biscuits were also in the cart. I watched as they paid for their purchases then got into a very nice car and drove back to the convent. My family could not afford a car at that time, and that feeling I had of going home to get them some food made me feel stupid. They were eating better than I was, and telling us kids that they were poor. In hindsight it was probably what turned me into an athiest and brought out my first cynical look at the world.

My philosphy is probably summed up as live and let live, but don't lie to me or be cruel or violent. Life shouldn't be so hard.
    Hope this answer is the sort of thing you're looking for.
    Cheers.
    Teri.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

Yep, this is the sort of thing I am looking for!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I hope many more answers follow, even from the same people that already did, cause there's always something to add.

It is always good to sum up your philosophy before you start. You did that, that helps. You also talked about the origin of your philosophy, that is great!

More concrete examples would be welcome. Starting from your philosophical point of view, how do you deal with someone who lies to you? (for example)

Thanks for the post!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.