Linux

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Redrover, Jul 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Redrover Registered Senior Member

I've got an old Pentium 200 with maybe 32 megs of ram and a 4gb hard drive and I want to put Linux on it just to fool around with it a bit. Any suggestions on what fistribution to get?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. AntonK Technomage Registered Senior Member

Does it have a CD-rom? If so, can you boot from the cdrom?

If so, that makes it a lot easier...

The linux kernel itself is pretty much the same through distros, so it will run on almost anything. It just depends on how easy it is to install.

-AntonK

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Redrover Registered Senior Member

Yeah, but I'm not sure if I can boot from it. I'm currently downloading Debian 3.0. It's not the easiest to install but I've found a rather good guide. I tried a version of Mandrake with KDE but it ran too slowly to be of any interest and I've already used Debian once before.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. AntonK Technomage Registered Senior Member

here's what i do sometimes..
    Find out what year your computer was made...then findout what version of Mandrake/Redhat/etc was out that year...find it
    should install just fine. Makes sense right?

-AntonK

8. DCLXVI Bloody Bastard Registered Senior Member

Don't use the X window system on such a slow machine, just set up an ssh or telnet daemon so you can access it from another computer.

9. drwebpat Registered Member

You should check out Gentoo Linux . Their install docs are amazing (step by step) and if you need any help whatsoever just jump on irc #gentoo or check out their forums. I've been running gentoo for over a year now and I love it.

Pat

10. Bachus Registered Senior Member

Got a decent inet connection? If so do a ftp install

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

12. Redrover Registered Senior Member

All I really want is a version of Linux that's on the same technological level as Windows 95.

13. AntonK Technomage Registered Senior Member

Define technological level...

Without a good definition of that, I can't really point you to what you want. Do you mean ease of use? Because if so, thats not technological level. My 4 function calculator is easy to use. Doesn't do much though. Do you mean security? If so, any linux is better than Win 95. What exactly do you mean?

-AntonK

14. drwebpat Registered Member

Wow...tech level of win95? You are in desparate need of installing linux.

15. Bachus Registered Senior Member

Go to a few sites of linux distro's and read the packages they offer (all packages are free to download). The ndecide what is best for your needs

16. drwebpat Registered Member

17. blankc Your superior Registered Senior Member

You won't be able to use KDE3+ or Gnome2+ very well on that machine, and current xfree versions are probably tuned for better computers. But You can use kde2 or gnome1.4, or if you don't mind completely alien(non windows-like) interfaces then fluxbox is great, and maybe try out xfree 4.0 or earlier. Kernel wise, 2.4 should be good, but if you really want lower overhead 2.2 may give you that. What distribution can let you use these components? Debian and slack are your best bet I'd say. I am an ardent gentoo user myself, but you would need superhuman patience to compile all software on a p200. Also, make sure that all your other commonly used apps you select are low overhead type software.

18. Redrover Registered Senior Member

Yeah, but where can I find older versions of kde, xfree and the kernel?

19. blankc Your superior Registered Senior Member

Debian and slackware should let you choose older versions. Or track down an old set of redhat or mandrake CD's. Old redhat versions can sometimes be found in clearance bins.

20. DCLXVI Bloody Bastard Registered Senior Member

If you are really determined to run xfree on the system I suggest using windowmaker instead of Gnome or KDE, it's simple and it isn't bloated with useless features.

And since the computer isn't exacly blazingly fast you might want to consider using "simpler" distributins like Gentoo, even though it might seem like a lot of work for a beginner. [propaganda]You might even choose FreeBSD[/propaganda]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.