Lithium is a new oil?

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Plazma Inferno!, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Plazma Inferno! Ding Ding Ding Ding Administrator

Demand for lithium—the hottest commodity on the planet and the only commodity to show positive price movement in 2015—is poised to continue on its upward trajectory, becoming the world’s new gasoline and earning the moniker of "White Petroleum".
    Lithium is the single-most valuable commodity of our tech-driven future, and one that is already in short supply.
    Right now, most of the world’s lithium comes from Australia, China and the “Lithium Triangle” of Argentina, Chile and Bolivia. In North America, Nevada is the only player in this game, but more to the point, the U.S. state has the best lithium there is to have—lithium found in the brine.
    Lithium sourced from brines, or salt water, is the most cost-effective on the market, and sourcing enough of it right at home would be a coup for all sides in the battery, storage and EV game.
    And while lithium has traditionally been controlled by a handful of major global suppliers, spiking demand is changing this landscape drastically.
    Many joins the battle for market share in and around this commodity, from major tech players (including Tesla) to trend-setting investor gurus vying for a foothold.

http://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-G...ts-Scramble-For-Lithium-As-Prices-Double.html

It sounds to me that we soon might have another oil style market that eventually could affect global politics.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. billvon Valued Senior Member

Well, except that you can reuse lithium.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. timojin Valued Senior Member

I have heard Lithium grease long time ago . I think is used in Pizza ovens in essence is a high temperature grease . I just wonder as far lithium grease why no Sodium , a regular soap product from caustic soda and fatty acid , I imagine both are water soluble .

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Lithium hydroxystearate greases were the main multipurpose greases 30 years ago. Nowadays lithium complex greases are often preferred. Sodium greases have the disadvantage of being too easily washed out by water. This is important in many applications e.g. wheel bearings.

More here: http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/28381/grease-lithium-production-resistance

But the story in the OP will I think relate to the use of Li in batteries, not to lubricating greases.

8. timojin Valued Senior Member

I guess I put my foot in my mouth with respect the opening.
    But since you responded to the lithium soap ant the so special complex , to me it seams to be lithium soap or hydroxystearic which fro one point there should be a higher drop point. difference between stearic and hydroxystearic is between 30 and 40 C