Living on Mars

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Sir Aristrotle, Oct 20, 2002.

1. Sir Aristrotle The C.E.O. of Teen-Moods Registered Senior Member

I was thinking, look at for example, overlook the fact that it's a movie but would it be possible to live on mars, I know that people are gonna flame me for this but as in we work to make it a inhabitable planet, just like they did in the movie Red Planet. They used alge to create the oxygen atmosphere.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Welcome to sciforums, Sir Aristrotle.

This is one that has been hashed over quite a bit. Do a search using the search function here for stuff that has gone on before.

Subjects like terraforming, living on mars, ect.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Sir Aristrotle The C.E.O. of Teen-Moods Registered Senior Member

I ran a search fopr mars, living on mars, terraforming, and moving to other plants and came up empty handed

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I'll try just looking around,

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I did the same search and came up with nothing. I remember there being two threads of terraforming Mars and Venus at one time. Later while looking I came upon this old thread...

Here
    http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=3335
    http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=4662
    Search for life on Mars

I will look and see if I can find the other one. As it has been a while since it has been discussed prehaps it would not be a bad idea to see what new thoughts might be out there to share.

8. kmguru Staff Member

9. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

I think domes would be the most economical method. Terreforming takes way too long and has no immediate returns. Immediate returns is what everyone looks for. This is humanity we are talking about here.

Put a cap over a crater, fill it with air, and heat it and you have an instant habitation.

10. Sir Aristrotle The C.E.O. of Teen-Moods Registered Senior Member

True, very true. While people live in the dome we could work on the rest of the planet. Domes composed of Titanium, Steel, Concrete, Plastic and Cadium. That still might not be strong enough... Maybe a floor of Kevlar and Pure steel poured in molten and set inline reinforced with highly flexable aluminum bars.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2002
  11. kmguru Staff Member

First design a high density power pack based on fuel cell technology to be used as air condition suits and to covert CO2 to O2 to breath. Then setup a hot house to grow food while working on a modified bacteria or algae that can grow rapidly close to the ice areas. At the same time set up depth charge to start a volcano to pump heat to the atmosphere....something like that.

One needs to find a geometrical progression on the gas conversion. Plants are the best solution.

12. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

I don't like the idea of terraforming and colonising Mars. People living there would need to be seriously altered, or become weak and stupid. Weak, because of the low gravity. Stupid, because the low oxygen levels on a newly terraformed planet, it seems to me, would result in poor brain development. Mars is a big ball of iron (much of it). We should simply strip mine it or leave it as a nature reserve for site-seeing vacations.

13. Sir Aristrotle The C.E.O. of Teen-Moods Registered Senior Member

ugh.... strip mining, is that all you can think of? Strip Mining? If you're inrested in destroying more planets then goto Jupiter...

For all we know we were probably suppose to be on Mars in the first place, not here, after all the Dinosaurs where here before us.

14. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Mars is a dead rock. It is nice to look at, that's about it.

15. Sir Aristrotle The C.E.O. of Teen-Moods Registered Senior Member

if mars is a dead rock, then earth is rotting cheese with a bunch of tiny mice on it that resimble humans, hince us.

On the cheese lies:

20% Who want to vomit the cheese back up
    20% Who want to replace the cheese they've eaten and never eat it again.
    60% Who just want more cheese and money. :bugeye: