Looking for a thread about bio or generation space ships I participated in...

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by cosmictotem, Apr 30, 2015.

1. cosmictotem Registered Senior Member

I can't find this thread. It was from 1-2 years ago. I proposed a generation fleet for interstallar travel and someone else agreed with me but with modifications and we went back and forth like that for a while until we reached a middle ground or maybe I conceded their point…

But anyway, does anyone remember that thread or exchange? I forgot it took place in a thread specifically made about space travel or if it was an offshoot to some other topic but there it generated a lot of posts that it should be easy to find. But I can't find it.

I would really like to refresh my memory on some of the ideas and arguments I proposed back then if anyone can help me find it? Thanks.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Do you recall any specifics about it? I just looked through your post history quickly - didn't see anything at first glance that looked to be about it (but I'm at work, only had a moment to check)

cosmictotem likes this.
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictotem Registered Senior Member

I'm sure I used phrases like "bioship" or "generation ship" and mentioned "food cloning" and it must have been something similar to the text below, which is the same idea I posted on another forum but not to the same extent.

"Habitable planets would definitely be few and far between so the ships themselves will have to be self-sufficient biospheres. As for no less than 15,000 people a ship, you could get away with 15,000 a fleet because there would be smaller transports shuttling crew members from ship to ship.

Also the great advantage of starships over inhabiting actual planets are starships can adjust their obits around stars with the seasons and control the amount of sunlight their solar panels and bio farms receive. Of course, planets are fixed in their orbit patterns. Starships can also move to avoid incoming dangers like asteroids.

The best thing about building starships is we can test them around our sun and park them around the earth for as long as the earth is still livable. So we can experiment and perfect these ships close to home and in relative safety of earth orbit."

And there was another poster (forgot who) that agreed with my idea of bishops (or was it biosphere ships?) but kept disagreeing on the point how to deploy them. They kept saying we should build the entire fleet needed for the whole trip to the next star and only then start the trip. I disagreed and thought we should should out unmanned supply ships ahead of the main fleet so humans could be able to pick up resources along the way.

Anyone remember that thread at all?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.