Love for all creeds and peoples

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by nicholas1M7, Jul 25, 2011.

1. nicholas1M7 Banned Banned

Should we invest love without judgment or blindly?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Many people are blinded by love.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

That wouldn't be love then, would it?

8. Pierre-Normand Registered Member

tl;dr

9. murdoch Simply Psychic! Registered Senior Member

Blind love always risk resulting serious consequences. And talk of no wisdom. Although true love is blind.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

WE can't do much into it.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  10. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Love is a word of many meanings and in the broadest sense of the meaning of love, I say YES, we need to invest love without judgement, although this need not be blindly.

Often people tend to focus narrowly on interpersonal attraction when they discuss the term 'love' and in this narrow context I would suggest that the state of love is a very personal and variable experience which requires considerable patience, discernment and communication in the development of trust and commitment to a relationship, particularly one of enduring nature.

11. Anew Life isn't a question. Banned

...."variable experience"... on love was quite beautiful scheherazade
    smart stuff

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Thats what unconditional love means.

13. Yazata Valued Senior Member

I'm inclined to agree with Scheherazade.

It's valuable to always remain cognizant of the fact that other human beings are human beings. Even the monsters among them are just trying to be happy, like everyone else. We're all the same that way.

That doesn't equate to a blank check. We needn't agree with or accept everything that other people believe or do. People often behave in disfunctional and even dangerous ways and sometimes they need to be actively opposed.

But even in those cases it might not be the best thing for us if we let ourselves be motivated simply by hatred.

14. Emil Valued Senior Member

Respect is not enough?

15. Fuse26 011 Banned

16. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Unconditional like this?

I mean, yeah, why bother ourselves with conditions, such as gentleness, mutuality, reciprocity, right?

17. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

The atrocities that human beings impose upon one another is a difficult issue to resolve from the position of love, conceded, Signal.

The video you posted was graphic, and one's initial response to this scene would be to condemn the persons who are beating and burning the individuals.

Yet, this is still only one half of the story from my perspective, because I do not know what has transpired prior to the scene witnessed on video.

When our actions and reactions are fear/anger/hate based, how does one find the avenue for a new understanding when faced with the cumulative angst of many generations?

Why does our species seemingly nurture anger so easily, yet turn it's back on the will to seek for positive solutions through mutual effort and dialogue? Why is it ever 'us' and 'them' at some level? We are all of flesh and blood, and feel the same emotions regardless of cultural trappings.

The fatal flaw in our evolution, and which may well lead to our downfall, IMO.

18. Hesperado Don't immanentize the eschaton Registered Senior Member

According to the philosopher Bernard Lonergan (as further explicated by Prof. Eugene Webb), love is both the motive, and the goal, of judgment.

It's become fashionable to think that "judgment" is bad. But this is a sophomoric truism. (One of my favorite quotes in this regard is by the great philosopher Albert Camus: "To breathe is to judge.")

Judgment is simply the result of the process of judging evidence, and judging is simply the mind seeking clarity. When the mind -- the healthy mind, that is -- seeks clarity, it is seeking to love in the best way possible (which is in a sense redundant, since love always seeks the best); or rather, one could say it is seeking to really love, rather than to pursue various forms of false, or crippled, or dysfunctional, love.

When the mind goes through this process, it is functioning as the "eyes" of the heart -- to see the proper object and purpose of its love (though the symbolisms mind and heart here represent more two sides of one process rather than two separate entities).

As the mind goes through this process, the clarity it seeks may, or may not, result in a judgment -- which simply means the best possible conclusion to satisfy the heart's longing, which is the entelechy of love. The best philosophers (and theologians) have unfolded and explicated the realization that love, by its nature, is not solipsist; nor is it, at the other extreme, so selfless (as the Buddha would have it) that the result would be no Lover loving, only Love: rather, it's a paradox of a self seeking to find fulfillment through transcending itself.

19. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i think this op speaks to the fact that, if it's done correctly, you should be able to love someone without becoming their victim.

20. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Indeed. A useful distinction is that between judicious and judgemental.

One ought to be judicious, but not judgemental.

(And I've learned that from Buddhists.)

21. Hesperado Don't immanentize the eschaton Registered Senior Member

Well, I don't like the way that political correctness has stolen the word "judgmental" and made it solely a pejorative term. A very similar term PC has stolen means essentially the same thing: discrimination (although PC seems to guardedly permit someone, at least, to say that they have "discriminating taste" in something). I refuse to allow some pop cultural trend (PC) to determine what words are supposed to mean in polite company. F them.

But judicious is a good term too.

22. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Interesting choice of verb there.
    Can one truly be said to be (unconditionally) loving if it is to be described as an 'investment'??

23. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

It does seem like a rather poor choice of words.

Of course "to invest someone with love" can mean "to endow them with the ability to feel love."