Mafia II

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by MacGyver1968, Sep 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Well, I just finished this game, and thought I'd give my opinions...and see what others thought. I was a huge fan of the original Mafia I game, and was very excited about this one. While there are many aspects of the game that are incredible...there were a few things that bugged me. The designers of the game call it a "cinematic game"...it's meant to play like a movie....and it does this very nicely...and borrows heavily from movies like "Goodfellas" and "The Godfather". The game has more cut scenes than any game I've ever played...in fact, you probably spend as much time watching the cut scenes as you do actually playing the game. Fortunately, they are well shot with some of the best voice acting I've heard in a game. Overall, the story is pretty compelling (for a video game) and the interaction between Vito and his buddy Joe feels real enough. I enjoyed each of the 15 chapters...and then it was over.

I guess this is what bugged me. (and apparently alot of other people, from what I've read on other boards) The game is pretty short. I took my time, and finished the 15 chapters in about 12 hours of game play. The ending credits sort of took me by surprise...just when I was getting in to it...it was over...and once it's over...it's over. While the game appears to be a "sandbox", and the environment is incredible, and rich...the game is purely linear. There are no side missions and one "collection" (playboy magazines) that doesn't have a reward...nor does it have a "free roam" mode after the main plot finishes. The main quest line is all there is. Very little repeatablity. I guess I just expect a little more gameplay time out of a "full priced" game. It left me wanting more.

Apparently, there is some down-loadable content available on the 7th of this month, that includes some more missions, car and clothes, but it's another 10 bucks...I'm not so sure I like this idea. To me...this is content that should have been included with the game.

My advise...rent the game.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Rent Kane and Lynch 2 also. It's pathetic.

thx for review.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Yeah I don't know if there was more swearing coming from the game or you.........

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I give it a thumbs down!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Mafia II does have an Expansion called Jimmy's Vendetta, I doesn't focus on a Storyline/Plot too much and is more about side missions that you attempt to do to get on a leaderboard. It opens the world backup however any collections you might want to have completed will not be completed here to my knowledge.

But that being said Godfather II was much the same once you'd taken over the whole map and completed the game, the only thing that worked for that was the multiplayer potential.

8. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

I tried Jimmy's Vendetta. I could help but think that this was content that should have been in the original game as side missions. The missions are pretty simplistic....steal a car and drive it to point "a"....drive to point "a" and shoot the bad guy. There's one cut scene at the beginning and one at the end. No story at all. It adds another 5 or so hours of gameplay...the majority of it driving.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.