Magic Powers for you.

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Xelasnave.1947, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I started watching Harry Potter which was the best of the crap on the tv but I cant handle that sort of make believe.

Nevertheless I tried to imagine what folk see in all this magic made up stuff.

How many people wish that they have magical powers? A few I guess who cant get what they want, feel left out, cant make friends, meet girls or partners.

I dont ever think about having some power I dont already have but I have lead a very fortunate life where everything went right and if it did not I could see my mistake and move on with no regret.

So what magical power would you like, to be able to go invisible ? Walk thru walls? Guide objects around and about?

Would you use the power to make money or be the best at something?

And if you had this power how would you use it?

To crush your enemies or help them?

Any ideas?

Alex

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I don't think anyone believes that Harry Potter is real do they? It's just a kids science fiction story.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Fantasy, rather. Science fiction has more to do with science than with magic.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Folk may want magic powers is what I am saying and ask what one would you like... Maybe make your ball go in the hole when playing golf. Walk thru the bank walls for pocket money rather than use the ATM.... Snap your fingers and make something appear.
    I don't know so I ask...
    Alex

8. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I don't want any magic powers. I think it's silly just as you said in your post so I was just wondering why you want to know about magic powers when you yourself think it's silly?

9. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

I'd take a super-power, if for nothing else than curiosity factor.
    Flight would be good.
    Mind reading also, at least one that I could switch on and off: I'm always curious as to what is going on in some people's head. Plus I'd be better at poker than I am now! I'd be quite a good arbiter in negotiations, help solve world peace etc.

But it's not something I think of, other than as a bit of fun when someone opens such a thread as this. And I love fantasy / sci-fi, all the superhero films, tv series etc.

10. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

I would like the power to effectively fold a fitted bed sheet or the power to make sense of any of Microsoft's software support articles.

11. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

I think the best magical power was shown in at the end of the "Dr. Strange" film. Strange is talking with Thor, and offers him some tea. Of course Thor doesn't want any wussy tea, so Strange magically creates a large stein of beer appear in Thor's hand, and after Thor drinks half of it, magically refills his glass. Now THAT's a useful power!

Strange: The forces of evil are upon us! We must join together to defeat them!

Mac: Yo Strange....Beer me!

Strange: I have battled the most powerful forces in the universe, I'm more than a walking beer tap!

Mac: Yada yada yada....beer me!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  12. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Well to get an idea how other folk think, what may be important,... Besides I have not got anything better to do.
    Alex

Seattle likes this.
  13. Baldeee Valued Senior Member

Then surely that should be the super power you seek: the ability to always find something better to do when you need to!

14. RuneSpider Registered Senior Member

Teleportation would be cool.

15. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I thought of one.

I snap my fingers and the person I focus upon must tell the truth.
    I would start sitting in the public gallery in parliment.

Alex

16. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Yes that would be handy to beat the traffic.
    Alex

17. RuneSpider Registered Senior Member

Traffic, sure. be great to travel places I wouldn't be able to normally visit.
    And, well, there are people I was or am to far away to help.

18. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

We are magical beings with the ability to cause change in our environment and in others. Unfortunately those abilities are often never realized and even less so acted upon. I suppose the difference between real magic and the magic in Harry Potter is that the former requires effort, whereas the later is simply silly wishful thinking.

I do have a magic wand, but it's only good for turning on the television and changing the channels.

19. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Do you know anyone who already has a magical ability / superpower?

My wife does. Her superpower is the ability to make people forget her name. Or, more accurately, remember it wrong.
    It works on every new person she ever meets. Every one of them remembers the same incorrect name.

Me, I am the God of streetlamps. Streetlamps dim in supplication as I walk by.

20. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

That is very interesting.
    I went thru a period where folk would call me Dennis.
    You know enough to make you wonder.
    Alex

21. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

I woud choose to be all-knowin an all-powerful... then i woud allow all people to experience what ever they desire.!!!

22. ForrestDean Registered Senior Member

Hehe, reminds me of a story I read by Madame David-Neel:

"One day Buddha, travelling with one of his disciples, met an emaciated Yogi alone in a hut in the middle of the forest. The master stopped, enquiring how long the ascetic had lived in that place practicing such austerities. "Twenty-five years ", answered the Yogi. "And what results have you obtained after such dire efforts"? queried the Buddha further. "I am able to cross a river walking on the water", proudly declared the anchorite: — "Ah 1 My poor friend!" answered the Sage sympathetically," have you really wasted so much time for that, when for a pittance you can get taken across it on the ferry!"