Man shoots wife while installing satellite TV system

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by cosmictraveler, Mar 27, 2008.

1. draqon Banned Banned

...wow, yeah he should be jailed, but not on regular terms

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

hahaha, that me laugh thanks

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

I saw nothing in the link about a populated area. Have you been to Missouri?

Anyway, if someone says "i'm gonna shoot through this wall" what would be your first thought?

Run?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

my first thought would be, who and were is talking to me
    my second thought would be...life flashing before my eyes
    my third thought would be....NONE...I will be dead

8. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

It doesn't say he announced his plans.
    But perhaps the first shot
    was a
    warning shot.

Sort of like yelling 'fore' on a golf course.

9. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

The father who uses a chain saw to give his kid a haircut.

jail time.

10. draqon Banned Banned

oooh ooooooooh oooooooooh I got one...

A father who uses a nuke to dry up the spilled glass of his wife

11. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

I heard a story not long ago about a man who put his loaded weapon in the bed of his truck with his dog. The dog discharged the gun and he was killed.

That makes the whole thing easier.

12. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

One other way to look at this is:

I am happy with everyone who uses a handgun as a drill on a wall in an occupied house serving some time.

I do not want everyone who tries to pass another car to serve time.
    I do not everyone who tries to fix their refridgerator to serve time.

13. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

Did the dog have motive?
    that's the question.

14. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Two cents, or something like that

In my state, I could be.

Hmm ... I think it would be, well, manslaughter. We might have another grade of "negligence resulting in death", but I can't think of it off the top of my head.

Seriously, why do people try so damn hard to make excuses when it's a gun? I realize how important it is for some people in this world to make sure that people are allowed to shoot whatever the hell they want for whatever reasons they want, but we live in society, and without society, those precious, precious firearms wouldn't even exist. So yes, we have to make compromises to society, and one of those compromises is that if you use a firearm, you are expected to do so competently, responsibly and, ultimately, safely.

I really don't understand what is so damned offensive about that notion.

• • •​

I had this twisted memory of a television show a couple weeks ago. I was helping my brother replace a bathtub and the first part of that involved clearing away a bunch of tiles, cutting away old sheetrock, and eventually tearing out the old lath and plaster behind that. And somewhere in there I recalled a scene from The Cosby Show in which Bill and Claire argued about whether or not to call a plumber to fix a leaking bath faucet. Bill, thinking he'd won, went upstairs to fix the bathroom himself, and at the last minute the family wrestled the sledge hammer out of his hands as he attempted to smash through the bathroom wall ... for whatever reason. (Quicker that way?)

So imagine that comedic scene: a husband/father being hauled down by his wife and kids as they scramble for the sledge he's about to destroy the bathroom with.

Replace that sledge with a rifle.

Just try to picture Bill Cosby standing in a bathroom, pointing a rifle at a wall in order to go through the tile.

I mean, comedy was bad in the 1980s, but yes, it could get even worse.

15. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Perhaps the wife heard the shot then went to investigate what made the new hole in the wall only to find out what did make the new hole! :shrug:

16. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

the man should be charged with negligent use of a fire arms and manslaughter. The after the piss is completely scared out of him allowed to plea it down. Still he should do a little prison time for his utter stupidy. I mean if he had been cleaning the weapon and then popped the clip back in and it discharged blew through two walls and ricochetted around a corner, I could argue letting him off lighter. However the man did something intentionally stupid and given this stupidity would have managed to get his wife killed if he'd been using a hand drill. Prison time, though likely he blames himself more than we ever possibly could.

17. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Sounds like a perfectly sound solution to a mechanical problem. If it does not work, get out the gun and shoot it. If it still does not work, shoot it some more!
    But the guy really needed a gun safety course! He probably has a million kids too! Scary!!!

18. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

It was an accident and he probably will be charged with involuntary manslaughter. He probably gets a few months or years with probation.
    It is really not that much different then killing somebody when driving a car and changing the CD....

The kids' sake is probably more important at the end, we shouldn't make them "orphans" by imprisoning the father for a few years. Supposed he loved his wife, losing her is punishment enough...

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

What if a parent doesn't buckle their child in and the kid dies when another car hits them?
    "Oh, the mom feels bad, so that's punishment enough"
    When you own a gun you have to show some responsibility. Using it as a drilling tool just doesn't show a bit of it. Manslaughter.

20. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

TNT to remove calcification in the pipes while the kids are at home.

Jail time.

21. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Not very sharp today, I see...

The difference is that it is against the law and the consequences can be seen much easier. The dude could easily assume everyone was in the house (actually that's what he thought) and there was no traffic outside. Also, depending on the angle and existence of other walls, he could have assumed that even if the bullet goes through, nobody should get hurt.

Now if you want a correct analogy, I know of cases when the father drove through his 2 year old son, because he didn't realize he was in the garage, playing behind the car. What do you say, should we put him in prison, or was the memory of killing his own son enough punishment???

That's what I said...

22. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Its also against the law to discharge a firearm in the house. He broke the law just by shooting the gun, even if he hadn't hit someone.

23. amark317 game developer-in-training Registered Senior Member

well your stealth die roll failed.
    you were noticed.

but anyway, at least he got a good hole in the wall