Marijuana has NO medical purposes and should be classified like heroin

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by cosmictraveler, Jul 11, 2011.

1. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

The federal government ruled on Friday that marijuana has no accepted medical use and should remain in the same class of drugs as heroin.

The decision comes nearly nine years after marijuana supporters asked the government to reclassify the drug to take into account the growing body of research conducted across the globe that proves it's effective in treating certain diseases, reports The Los Angeles Times.

The paper spoke to advocates who criticized the ruling but are pleased that the government has finally responded, which allows them to appeal to the federal courts.

In May several medical marijuana advocacy groups under the name Coalition for Rescheduling Cannabis filed a lawsuit insisting that the DEA finally attend to the 9-year-old request, reports LAist.

Joe Elford, chief counsel for Americans for Safe Access told the Times, he was not surprised by the decision, which came shortly after the Obama administration announced it would not tolerate large-scale commercial marijuana growing operations.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=marijuana medical purpose&qs=n&sk=&form=msnpop

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

That's absurd and idiotic.

krash661 likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The ruling, or the entire U.S. government?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

A little of both.

8. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

In my observation, the fact that marijuana is illegal does not seem in any way to be reducing it's use by the public.

As others have suggested, why not legalize the product and put the enforcement money into regulating the growth, distribution and marketing of the commodities associated with it?

For many jobs, there needs be zero tolerance for alcohol and drugs, and I would quite expect that persons in those jobs should be subject to testing. Legalizing marijuana should have no effect on that aspect.

If we permit and tax cigarettes and alcohol knowing that they have the potential for misuse and abuse, it really makes little sense to me that we have this seeming double standard where marijuana is concerned.

I rather don't think we need expect a huge spike in the number of persons who would use the substance, were it legalized. Part of it's appeal to many is precisely because it is a restricted substance.

Then again, I am not a user, though I have at least checked it out a few times over the years, interested in what the appeal seems to be for many. It seemed to make me very quiet and introspective on those occasions and I have rather too much to do in life to find that state of mind seductive. :shrug:

9. WillNever Valued Senior Member

This is pathetic and sad. As a registered nurse, I have administered marinol (a synthetic derivative of marijuana) to a few cancer patients in the hospital by order of the physician. Evidence has shown that it stimulates apetite in patients who receive chemotherapy and radiation, because of the anorexia and nausea that accompanies those treatments. Inhaled marijuana smoke has been shown to stimulate apetite just the same as marinol does. Cancer patients often are anemic not only because of bone marrow suppression as a result of these therapies, but because their diet is so poor.

This sort of ruling just hurts people who are sick and need all the strength that they can get to undergo and survive the therapies that they need in order to cure or at least stave off life-shortening illnesses that would otherwise kill them.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I have known families that give weed brownies to their severely autistic son to calm him down. It has all sorts of uses, not that it even needs any, it should be legal for it's recreational uses alone.

At least we can rest assured that the investment in grow lights was not a waste.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  11. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

In Canada, physicians can legally give a patient a prescription for medical marijuana, yet in the Yukon, at the time my neighbor was dying of cancer, there was no legal means of filling the prescription.

He was able to get some product by the usual unspoken means, and had no fear of being 'busted' as he had the paper to prove his need.

At least his last few months provided great ironic humor surrounding the circumstances of his means of treatment.

Great to hear that as a person working in the medical field you have seen the usefulness of the drug, WillNever.

An interesting observation regarding it's effectiveness on autism, spidergoat.

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Bear in mind that every type of medical sickness already has more than one medication that is available to ease the pain and suffering so if they remove marijuana from the treatment list there's always something out there that can benefit those who need it. Perhaps not in the exact same way but at least it helps.

13. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

yes!

14. WillNever Valued Senior Member

Cosmic, I don't mean to be cruel to you, but you are a loser-apologist for shitty government policies. You have plagiarized articles from the rest of the internet and presented them in threads as though they were your original thoughts. You gave no credit to where credit was due. All of those articles have been in support of flaming, conservative shitwheels who hated Obama. You have even spammed "birther" nonsense around.

Truly, your credibility blows goats. You are an anti-intellectual, and I think you should try to change that, but at your advanced age, I wonder if your thinking has become too crystallized for that to take place.

15. CptBork Valued Senior Member

Aren't you the one who said that alcohol and tobacco were so institutionalized in society, and their users were so violent and resistive, that it wasn't worth prohibiting them? So how is marijuana any different, except that the people who smoke it aren't as violent and resistive as alcohol abusers? Sounds like a classic drug of choice mentality- you get to choose your poisons, but no one else is entitled to choose theirs. Maybe then we need an Al Capone for marijuana just to even things out.

16. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

That ruling runs contrary to the science.

However, continued Prohibition maintains such a high potential profit for traffickers that the US govts ongoing effort to repeal the law of supply and demand should be lauded loudly.

At least the domestic US black market is thriving, even if the rest of the US economy sucks like a quantum black hole.

Yeah, Cosmic doesn't seem to know much about drugs...or science, sadly.

17. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I never made that statement and if think I did please show it to me.

They already have "Al Capone" type of people running the marijuana business if you haven't noticed. Just look at the Mexican cartels to see what I mean.

18. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I only posted that article, I don't endorse it, I just wanted people to see what's going on is all. Sorry if I misled anyone, my bad.

19. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

I'm sorry cosmic, but this comment has bothered me since yesterday.

How much experience do you have with the medical industry?

During end of life care, the options for the patient come down pretty much to pain control, self administered if the patient is capable, otherwise by attendant. The drugs that I have observed in use did not stimulate appetite at all; rather they diminished it or caused nausea for which another drug was administered.

Marijuana stimulates appetite without such side effects, as well as distracts from and frequently alleviates pain according to the comments from persons with whom I have conversed.

Most end of life patients that I have known wanted to die at home, if at all possible, while they got their affairs in order and friends/family could say their goodbyes.

The medical profession could utilize a more user friendly drug like marijuana for such treatment, in my opinion.

There are many chronic pain disorders that people suffer and all medications have side effects. Most people do very little research on the side effects of even common over the counter medications they take.

The legal drug industry is far more insidious than most people realize.

I still wonder why the reluctance to treat marijuana in the same manner as tobacco and alcohol. Perhaps the government lacks confidence in their ability to effectively control the market?

20. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I see that you have the right to your opinions about everyone, including myself, and that's just fine with me. If you need to vent your anger at what I say, fine, just try to show where I've plagiarized by producing the threads where I have done so or else you are just trying to flame me. I'd think that the moderators might not like seeing this type of thing without at least one credible ounce of evidence.

21. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

To what others have already said I would add that heroin is also hardly without valid medical use--and I mean heroin specifically. (This wasn't directly stated, but it was implied.) There are many scenarios in which patients do not respond well to other opiates or opioids (complaints of nausea, etc.), for which heroin is the optimal replacement. And heroin has long been used in clinical settings throughout many European nations and in Canada as well (IIRC).

22. John99 Banned Banned

My feeling on this is if terminally ill patients feel MJ helps them psychologically, but it can also make them more emotional...and we see evidence of this on the forum, then it should be availble to them.

My reasons: It is less destructive (though not good for you) in the short term so even if a patient lasts a few years the MJ will cause no noticeable harm compared to the nasty drugs out there that will turn peeps insane, explode their heart etc.

If they feel it is helpng them then wtf?

Now i have stated here before that MJ has no actual medical benefits a few times. Anyone thinking it relieves pain...well it doesnt....maybe a paper cut.

Now dont everyone go crazy on me. Legalising MJ to me i could care less but heavy penalties (above a small fine like no seat belt as aan example) for personal use are counterproductive and stoooopid.

23. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

But there are other medications like morphene which can reduce the pain as well. There are many other medications like morphene which are available to those who are in need of them. If they are already dying then does it matter whether or not they become addicted to these types of medications? Let me give you an example , if you had a surgery and you had a great deal of pain when you awoke after surgery would you rather be given a medication that totally eliminates that pain or to smoke a joint that only mellows you out a little bit but you still feel the pain? :shrug: So why smoke the joint then is all I'm asking.

I too am for decriminalizing the use of marijuana which I have repeatedly stated over and over. Having a few joints would only bring a ticket and fine but no record. Having about an ounce would be a misdemenor punishable by a heavy fine but no jail. Having more than a ounce would be a fine and the first offense 30 days in jail. More than once with more than an ounce would be higher yet fines and more jail time.