Mars Settlement by 2023

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by khan, Jun 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. khan Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2405162,00.asp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QoEEGySGm4

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. khan Registered Senior Member

http://mars-one.com/

I wonder if a permanent Mars colony is feasible? Dust storms of Mars appear to be pretty rough

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Mars#Effect_of_dust_storms

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mazulu Banned Banned

I watched the video. Without the ability to transport, rapidly and cheaply, large payloads between Earth and Mars, you are sending people to Mars to die. Sorry, but I have to be the cynic on this one.

I think we'll have sub-luminal gravity propulsion drives within two hundred years. Once we achieve that level of technical ability, we'll be able to jet between the inner planets pretty quickly and cheaply.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

Dust storms? No water, no air to breathe, minus 200 degree nights, radiation that can't be shielded just to name a few of the rather nasty things that await anyone who travelers to Mars. Then there's the cost, that is going to be in the hundreds of billions of dollars and with every nation, except China , having money problems , I don't forsee a visit by humans to Mars in the very near future.

8. sigurdV Registered Senior Member

Why Mars when there is Venus?

Its difficult to see profit in a Mars project.

Venus has lots of CO2 !

We could inhabit the upper layers of its thick athmosphere exporting oil and food.

But why not export athmosphere to the Moon?

Making both habitable?

So how difficult is it to transport molecules in space?

Can we use sunshine?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  9. Boris2 Valued Senior Member

have i mentioned robert zubrin's book the case for mars? an excellent read and shows in good detail the feasibility of colonising mars within a realistic timeframe.

10. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

Anything is possible with enough time, money and people to put it all together. I do think that one day, but very distant, humans will be able to safely travel within our solar system and beyond if they don't blow themselves away or destroy the Earth with environmental contamination among other things. It is just that humans still can't get the Earth running right so why visit other planets when Earth is in such a mess? :shrug:

11. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Is it technologically feasible? Yes. Do we have the money or the will to do it? No... Is it worthy to do it anyway? No...

12. khan Registered Senior Member

Will this privately funded Mars mission be a huge media event?

http://www.hobbyspace.com/nucleus/index.php?itemid=38377

I applaud the courage of these brave Dutch explorers

http://mars-one.com/faq-en/22-faq-mission-features/202-is-it-safe-to-live-on-mars

I am wondering if these people are doing some sort of strange internet experiment ...but they say they are serious :shrug:

http://mars-one.com/faq-en/23-faq-feasability/189-is-this-for-real

13. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

Mars One looks to me like a scam but I could be wrong. This organization has no background in spaceflight what so ever yet makes astonishing claims as if they have done this before, which they have not. I'm very skeptical about this kind of enterprise for few people that are involved actually have done anything in the space exploration business other than learn about it through research they have done. If countries cannot develop radiation protection to keep the crew safe during their 2 year mission or longer then how is this business going to do so? :shrug:

There are more questions about this business than there are answers and I'm going to watch what they do in the coming years with the monies they receive if they actually show us where that money is being spent. So far I can't find out anything as to where the money is going from their web sight but only propaganda explain how they can do everything if given the money. I'm concerned that many people will send them a contribution only to find out in the future that this company is nothing more than a pie in the sky approach to robbing people of their hard earned money to make a few people rich.

14. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

I find it fascinating that so many of us here think that any further exploration/exploitation of near space is a "scam". :shrug:

The "billionaire boys club" and Space X are not frivolous groups of small - time crooks who routinely do things to steal money from idiots. They are serious, for - profit capitalists with astounding track records and a history of success. Why do you guys figure them to fail now? (hint: try lack of information and perhaps a lack of business acumen as well)

My first love was extraterrestrial human environmental design and fabrication. I have studied that for quite some time, it is not a question of "if" but a question of "when". The money and the drive is in place, the business organization is set up and the first steps have been taken. Technology is sufficiently advanced to get us there now and it is going to be done, despite your' cynicism.

I recall that it was no so very long ago that same group of nay - sayers was claiming that the Dragon 1 would "never fly" and that it would end in a massive fiasco. Guess what? You guys were wrong, it happened pretty much as planned and is now part of our collective history.

My entire life has been full of...'cynics' who kept telling my ideas would not float, that I could not succeed and that I was flat out wrong. I continue to derive great satisfaction from their eating of the crow.

"Those who can, do. Those who cannot even imagine, lose."

15. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

For 2 reasons:

1. It is still incredibly difficult technologically.
    2. There is really no good reason to do it.

Once we golfed and drove around on Moon, humankind pretty much reached the end of what was to be done on other Solar system planets. There is absolutely no point in having a Moon colony or Mars....

On the other hand there are plenty things to do here on Earth. For example an underwater colony would make way more sense, not to mention cheaper...

16. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

Until they got an infusion of over a half billion dollars by the government they couldn't have done what they did. If I would have known that they were going to receive that kind of money I would have not been a nay-sayer.

17. khan Registered Senior Member

Mars, the desert planet, to boldly go because humans are natural explorers.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/201...ch-mission-mars-one-red-planet_n_1562637.html

18. Neverfly Banned Banned

We're going to need to be able to get out there and someday, we may find we procrastinated developing it for far too long.

19. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Going underwater seems to me more feasible.....

20. Neverfly Banned Banned

True. And it is cheaper and easier in the short run. In the long run however, one asks how much this planet can sustain.
    It's not just a question of living space but of resources.
    In the next many thousand years, we will need viable sources of fuels and materials. The ocean may be a great place to explore and even inhabit- It's not a long term solution. In my opinion.

21. Mazulu Banned Banned

Mars colonization comes down how cheaply and how quickly you can move payload tonnage It's too expensive and too slow using chemical rocket fuel. However, the day will come, when we can build gravity propulsion field generators, probably in about two hundred years. When that day arrives, we'll be able to transport thousands of metric tons of equipment, supplies and people. If a Martian colonist wants to leave, gets hurt or wants a vacation on the blue planet, we'll be able to transport them back to earth within a few hours.

22. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

No politican or businessman can convince anyone that we need to think 1000+ years into the future, not to mention cough up dollars for it. Not to mention you can not guarantee that we don't off ourselves in a nuclear war...

Population control and looking for alternative energy look way more economical and practical, than messing up another planet...

23. Rhaedas Valued Senior Member

Underwater doesn't have the issues of getting into space or radiation. It does have its own problems though, like greater pressure differentials, corrosion factors, environment, importing resources, etc.

Now I'm in agreement with going to Mars or the Moon as a goal right now. You don't go from one gravity well to another distant one as such an early stage. But underwater isn't easier than space, it just has different challenges.

And one thing I have to ask, why go underwater and meet these challenges? At least branching into space, you're trying to take steps outward. What do you gain (apart from research) by going below the water's surface?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.