Mars

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by ElCHe, Feb 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElCHe Registered Member

Has anyone here ever read the mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robbinson? I like these books and I'd like any feedback about what you think if you've read it. Thanks

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. tetra Hello Registered Senior Member

Yes! I have!

Those four books were the BEST books I have ever read in my entire life. They completley changed the way I thought and interpret the daily events.

Red Mars was the first book that actually changed the way I thought, I now have a much more happy outlook on life because of the liklehood of an extreme longevity treatment by the time Im middle-aged, which is actually being researched right now!. The way they terraformed Mars was awsome, Im not gonna give away any big events but they use a few radical techniques.

Green Mars had A LOT of scientific philosophy in it, it took up almost half of the book. The other half improved the characters and gave hundreds of tiny technical details about everything in the Mars world. (I liked the birdsuits)

Blue Mars didn't have many real-time events in it; it showed the world mostly through the characters thoughts and emotions. The terraforming was finally completed, and people now were off to colonize other star systems.

The Martians had many great short-stories, I liked The one that was something like "An arguement for the fastest possible safe terraforming technique" and "Coyote makes trouble"

When I first bought Red Mars, I read the blurb on the back and thought it would be about Reds v Greens and didnt expect too much of it. If you are in this same position, DO NOT BELIEVE THE BLURB. The Reds v Greens is just one of the dozens of subplots throughtout the series.

When I was done, I felt that this was the way thing HAVE to happen, and I didnt really accept anything else for a while. I was rather dissappointed in the status of our current space program, and felt that we need to do everything by close to the dates set in the books.

If you only read one trilogy in your LIFETIME, read The Mars Trilogy.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. dexter ROOT Registered Senior Member

hahahahhahahahahhaha,
    hey corey, did u ever find red mars? i am pretty sure i gave it back to you, anyways, my mom went out and bought it for me today, weird huh. also, sorry i couldnt make states, i couldnt get a ride to shasta, i went cruising the town instead. i lsot ur cell #

but about the topic, from what i read it was a pretty good book, it was kinda tedious, and caried on, though it did have a TON of good idea's.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. tetra Hello Registered Senior Member

Oh yeah, James Cameron (the guy who directed Titanic), is now owns the movie rigthys to the series and will soon make a movie out of red mars, then hopefully follow up with green and blue.

8. dexter ROOT Registered Senior Member

right on, i would definently go see that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.