Meaning of life ?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by BlueMoose, Sep 9, 2007.

1. lightgigantic Banned Banned

any sort of sensual experience or do you think its specific?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. BlueMoose Guest

lightgigantic
    because her pleasure is to put her child's needs above her own.

-And how is this different from sustaining life ?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lightgigantic Banned Banned

the mothers life isn't sustained

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. BlueMoose Guest

well, everybody dies eventually, why not die for sake of life ?
    I think we are going circles here

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

"We play the game to find out why we play the game." - quote I forgot who.

9. BlueMoose Guest

-Good one. A little like mine, to sustain life and the rest will follow

10. Photizo Ambassador/Envoy Valued Senior Member

But realize this, that in the last days difficult times will come. For men will be lovers of self, lovers of money, boastful, arrogant, revilers, disobedient to parents, ungrateful, unholy, unloving, irreconcilable, malicious gossips, without self-control, brutal, haters of good, treacherous, reckless, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, holding to a form of godliness, although they have denied its power; Avoid such men as these.

Lovers of pleasure are placed in opposition to lovers of God by the Holy Spirit, hence seeking pleasure for its own end cannot be demonstrating the meaning of life... in fact, being opposed to God it is the pursuit of death...paradoxically, the meaning of 'life' as we know it can only be found through death. The meaning of Life (as we do not know it) is also only found through death--death as we do not know it.

The meaning of life as we know it and as we do not is essentially summed up in two words: Love...Relationship. If one looks at the Law of God (briefly, the 10 Commandments) we see it is all about relationship--relationship with God and with one another...The New Testament reveals that this Law of Relationship is satisfactorily fulfilled only through one activity--Love. Love of God and Love of neighbor. When we are confronted by this Law, we are reminded of our failure to truly love as we should along with our inability to do so, and also of our broken relationships with God and each other.

To Love as required by God's Law is only possible through the Holy Spirit. In order for humanity to receive the Holy Spirit, Christ had to die. In order for an individual to receive the now available Holy Spirit, he too must 'die'...pick up his cross and follow/trust Christ as Savior... dying to himself...to his selfish pursuit of what is pleasurable to him... In that death of his he receives the ability to truly live--to love/relate to Him and one another as God requires...as we truly desire to live (but had been prevented from achieving on account of our pursuit of selfish pleasure) i.e. living in Loving relationship with/to Him and one another.

11. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

What is your reason for sustaining life, since there is a reason for sustaining life, sustaining life would be of second importance (and thus not the *meaning of life* itself), not even the meaning of your life (it would thus be "to have a primary reason", if you take it by the argument you applied).

12. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

Nah, there must be a answer better than that, otherwise the question would be pointless.

13. BlueMoose Guest

Cyperium
    What is your reason for sustaining life, since there is a reason for sustaining life, sustaining life would be of second importance (and thus not the *meaning of life* itself), not even the meaning of your life (it would thus be "to have a primary reason", if you take it by the argument you applied).

-If my reason to sustain life is the life itself, what then ? Meaning of life = life ?

-If meaning of life = life, then I must sustain life that there would be meaning = life

You busted me, meaning of life is to live

14. Why? Registered Senior Member

Without a God, there is no meaning.

15. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

The purpose of Life is what you make it, its different to every person

god does not give life meaning, you do

16. Why? Registered Senior Member

You cannot give meaning to that which does not have meaning. Unless there is a God, existence is meaningless. We are but a rock formation on the Planet Earth.

17. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

you can give meaning to anything, meaning is subjective

18. Why? Registered Senior Member

The meaning the thread is asking about is not subjective, but objective. Otherwise, your subjective "meaning to life" is of little interest to anybody else.

19. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

what do I care if the meaning that I apply to my life matters to anybody else, they dont have to live it

20. Why? Registered Senior Member

The point is that the thread isn't asking about your own personal subjective meaning to life. It's asking the broader question of what the objective meaning of life is.

21. Cortex_Colossus Banned Banned

Determinism or free will?

22. Cortex_Colossus Banned Banned

The meaning of life is to discover that you are limitless. In order to do so keep defining the difference between what you are and what you are not. If you never find an answer to the question of "who am I?" you will fail yourself.

That is the meaning of life.

23. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

I dont believe it ever says anything about an objective meaning..or maybe you misread it?