Meaning of life ?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by BlueMoose, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Why? Registered Senior Member

It didn't say anything about a subjective meaning of life. The thread by stating "the usual question" is pretty clearly referring to the old big question - the meaning of life. This is asking for an objective answer.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Nothing was said in either respect so a broad question gets a broad answer..period

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Any and all.
    There is nothing in life we experience, except through the senses.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. BlueMoose Guest

objective/subjective, no matter, just give me something to pounder.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Cortex_Colossus Banned Banned

So you mean that we can also experience mind through these very senses you speak about, where mind has no dimension if it is to be limitless. The senses however are another story. Our mind is not our senses. Our nervous system is our senses. Our brain is our senses. Reality is a set that can have either limitation or limitlessness. Separation or non-separation.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  9. lightgigantic Banned Banned

if a person doesn't find pleasure in loving god, will they continue with it?
    If I serve you a nice big bowl of blotting paper, it doesn't matter what i tell you about it ("It will make you wealthy, it will make you strong, etc") you will give it up eventually

10. lightgigantic Banned Banned

rationalists would disagree
    for instance if I say the word "airplane" that means all sorts of air planes, from the one the wright brothers made, to the japanese dive bombers to the odd top secret ones - all of which I don't sensually perceive

11. Cortex_Colossus Banned Banned

There is a difference between salvation and pleasure is there not? I've heard of people finding salvation in God and of people finding pleasure using any of the 5 senses. You seem to be in some confusion. Perhaps it is because you have not discovered yourself and therefore God?

12. lightgigantic Banned Banned

if you don't find pleasure in the process of salvation, you can't commit to it (in other words pleasure is a function of the mind and not the 5 senses)

13. Cortex_Colossus Banned Banned

Just as one might suspect, your concept of God that of your parent. You are either retarded, deluded, a dumbass, or you purposefully create confusion. Or, you are just plain ignorant with a child-like mind, yet you ramble on. Define pleasure.

14. lightgigantic Banned Banned

:shrug:
    .... anyway, at the risk of continuing a conversation with a person who is more interested in painting the walls with ad homs as opposed to discussing anything meaningful, pleasure means enjoyment - in other words if I say "I like to call people reatarded deluded dumb asses", it indicates I get some pleasure from it

15. Cortex_Colossus Banned Banned

pleas·ure /ˈplɛʒər/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[plezh-er] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, -ured, -ur·ing.
    –noun
    1. the state or feeling of being pleased.
    2. enjoyment or satisfaction derived from what is to one's liking; gratification; delight.
    3. worldly or frivolous enjoyment: the pursuit of pleasure.
    4. recreation or amusement; diversion; enjoyment: Are you traveling on business or for pleasure?
    5. sensual gratification.
    6. a cause or source of enjoyment or delight: It was a pleasure to see you.
    7. pleasurable quality: the pleasure of his company.
    8. one's will, desire, or choice: to make known one's pleasure.
    –verb (used with object)
    9. to give pleasure to; gratify; please.
    –verb (used without object)
    10. to take pleasure; delight: I pleasure in your company.
    11. to seek pleasure, as by taking a holiday.

Okay. So your pleasure is in your salvation. I understand, you use pleasure as a tool to acknowledge God so that God will protect you. In other words, you have realized you are vulnerable without God. Describe what it is about God that brings you pleasure and enjoyment. Because I can get pleasure and relief from scratching my ass.

16. lightgigantic Banned Banned

If you think that you apply some process to approach god that doesn't include pleasure you are the fake
    the evidence is that you will be waylaid by finding pleasure in other things (eg lust, wrath, envy, etc)

17. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

There is no meaning.

But life is dolce.

18. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Our mind is the device which processes those sensory stimuli.
    Convince me.
    Explain to me an experience you can have in your mind that is not simply a recollection or manipulation of information gathered through the senses.

If it weren't for your senses, you would know othing about any airplanes, nor would you have seen any airplanes, you would not have heard or read the word and you could not have communicated to have any idea of what an airplane is.

Without the senses, you are nothing.

19. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I don't know if we have eternal souls - hell, I don't even know if souls exist.
    If we DO have eternal souls - if there is some non-corporeal existence, then I believe we elected to come here.
    Why would we do that?
    What does this existence offer a non-coproreal entity?
    Just one thing - a physical existence.

We would have decided to come here for sensual experience.

20. lightgigantic Banned Banned

to which the rationalists can counter, without your mind, you would be nothing - the word "airplane" is not merely something that is reflected by light into your eyes - it is a concept, hence I can apply the word "airplane" to many scenarios - in other words without the mind, sensual experience remains merely sensual experience devoid of rhyme and reason, which certainly leaves no room for such things as "airplanes"

21. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Without sensory input, your mind would have nothing to process.

I have met many a rationalist who would say that the "mind" doesn't even exist.

Please tell me what you thingk a mind is.
    Define it for me.

22. lightgigantic Banned Banned

without a mind, sensory input would be the same as a robot (IOW you could see the sunrise, but discerning any value in connection to it is not possible)

then they must have some other mechanism in mind (excuse the pun) for distinguishing themselves from an empricist

How about I pose a q instead (in relation to the thread OP)
    Would a person who's 5 knowledge gaining senses are inoperable (like say a person dreaming) be unable to discern value?

23. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Without sensory input, you would have nothing to dream about.

Define the mind.