Meaning of life ?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by BlueMoose, Sep 9, 2007.

1. lightgigantic Banned Banned

how do you know that?
    We can enter into three states of consciousness (wakefulness, dreaming and deep dreamless sleep)
    in two of them, the senses are not in operation, yet we can still understand "I was not dreaming" or "I was dreaming"

there are two things
    mind - (sense of like and dislike)
    intelligence - (compiles varieties and discriminates)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lightgigantic Banned Banned

one_raven
    [/QUOTE]
    so you are arguing that there is nothing that we dream of that is outside of our sensual experience?
    whatever, but still you find that the senses are not in operation when one is dreaming nor when one is dreamlessly sleeping, yet the "I" remains unaffected - it tends to suggest that with or without the five corporeal senses, the "I" goes on
    yes - that's where the like and dislike comes in

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Live has no meaning.

8. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Yes.
    The base or building blocks of all our dreams come about through sensual experience.

It suggests that when the senses are turned off, our brain still has memory of them and use them as a reference point.
    It suggests that without sensory experience, there is no experience at all, because even when they are turned off, we pretend they are on - we have no other reference point.

Can you support that assertion?

9. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

If you had no reason to live, would it then be meaningful to live?

However if you live, then you would have a chance to find reason and thus sustaining life can be a reason to find reasons so to say.

So it may be a reason for you.

Depending on the meaning of life in general, it may actually be the meaning of life. It depends on what you find and the reason we are here in the first place.

10. recain Registered Member

The meaning of life is for every moment of your existence to "grow" and become a better person, no matter what this "better" means for you.

11. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Why?
    To what end?

12. lightgigantic Banned Banned

One_Raven

or alternatively it suggests that the cause of the senses lie in the mind

in other words due to developing a certain type of mind we have developed a certain set of senses
    we have a sense of taste
    termites have a sense of taste

we like the taste of pasta
    we don't like the taste of dry bamboo

for termites it is the opposite because they have a different mind

13. Dunn11x Jesus Christ is The Messiah! Registered Senior Member

To glorify God.

14. lightgigantic Banned Banned

atheists would disagree

However now that you mention it, the glorification process would still continue, even if the object of glorification wouldn't for some people

15. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Could you offer any valid rasoning for this belief?
    Why put the cart before the horse?

Absurd.
    This has nothing to do with "mind" at all, nevermind being proof that "like and dislike" are functions or properties of the mind.

16. lightgigantic Banned Banned

the senses have the proclivity to enter into the mind (if you see something long enough you will like it- advertising works on this principle)

the mind has the proclivity to enter the senses (in the absence of sensual activities, we can get agitated by thinking about them)

since, while somewhat difficult it is not impossible, we can actually prevent the mind from entering the senses, it stands as the first cause - hence it appears that I have the cart and the horse in the right order

if its not due to issues of mind, why don't you have a bowl of dry bamboo for breakfast?

17. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

The meaning of life?

Whatever you want it to be.

- N

18. draqon Banned Banned

Neildo I got one silver bullet loaded gun here and its and my meaning of life is to deliver the silver bullet to the target. Neildo, the target.

"Whatever I want it to be, whatever you want it to be"...was written with chalk on the concrete road were the dead body lay.

19. recain Registered Member

"Why?" Thats one of most grandest acts possible for a human to accomplish, to better himself with everyday and becoming a greater person. If you want to know why this is important I cannot tell you, you should understand it yourself.

"To what end?" Is there an end? I dont think that such a task has any meaningless end.

20. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

So be it.

Your actions didn't stop me from living my life the way I wanted to live it.

Everyone expires. 'Twas just my time.

- N

21. bennyjet Banned Banned

there is only one thing you need to know on this "Earth School"the first cosmic law is "leave planet earth a better place than what you found it in,Or have the intentions!"

22. Enmos Valued Senior Member

A lot here would object to that.
    Actually, some guy on here claims that it's ok to wipe out every last animal on earth just for the sheer fun of it as long as it doesn't have any negative effect on humans.

23. divine sapience Registered Senior Member

the meaning of life?
    simple answer.... "to exist"