Media Effecting Teenager's Emotions

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Cactus Jack, May 13, 2002.

1. oedipus I enjoy fecal matter Registered Senior Member

id have to second that motion and propose that there are lots of songs with no point.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mostly Harmless Thrower of Coconuts Registered Senior Member

Hey CJ... wrong! Hotel Calif was about my fucking job!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

Hahahahaha

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

Hey Cactus,

If you want to see how the media plays with emotions, study commercials, this is where those emotion manipulating whores do their "finest" work. Music plays a big role. Study what types go with what products and the image of the product. Language is another biggie. How you say something, envokes how someone feels about something.

Also, there's evidence that shows how emotions has a strong hold over reason (but reason also influences emotions too).

This where I'd suggest to start. It look like it's been awhile, you may be done with your paper by now.

-Xenu

8. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

Commercials are deffinetely a good place to look of course, originally commercials showed the product in a simple "matter of fact" I guess fashion, now you rarely (if ever) see a commercial in which there is a fine example of the commodification of our feelings. I don't know if it has as much of an impact on our behavior as movies/music but I will definetely look into it, maybe they have more......

9. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

The research will show that commercials have a great effect on behavior, just think about how many billions of dollars companies dish out on them each year. They don't do this for no reason.

Listen to a commercial and think about every aspect of it, such as music, colors, facial expressions etc. Ask why each element is the way it is.

Also think how many billions of dollars we as consumers dish out each year to watch movies. We don't do this for no reason either. I feel that movies provide an emotional rollercoaster ride, which we don't find in our normal lives anymore - all in the safety of a theatre.

I wish I had some source material for you, but my books are all packed from moving. The only thing I can think of is the psychologist (John B.?) Watson - his later, post-psychology books. He was a behaviorist who ran into a lot of trouble with his peers. He quit psychology and started into advertising and pretty much is responsible for why advertising is the way it is today - making a ton of money off of it. Pretty evil bastard if you ask me

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

If he didn't do it, someone else would have I suppose.

-Xenu

10. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Hey Catus!

PM Lykan... he knows lots about this...

To help you...
    Is it a coincidence that our society and our movies are usually violent...?

11. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

Ahh, but which came first?

Are we violent because of violent movies (culture)?

Or do we make and like those kind of movies because we are already violent creatures?

-Xenu

12. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

We are violent because of the movies and, of course, other things...
    They are created because of the violence and they, themselves, create violence...

13. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Yes Nelson is correct. You see, violence was not abundant before video games and mass communications.

14. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

No I completely and utterly disagree. The Gladiators, or pancration, or martial arts, or lynchings of colored people. All violent forms of entertainment. Plus all the wars, and constant state of occupation, etc.

We have always had some outlet for our violence, now we realize that it is immoral to kill just for entertainment purposes, so we make movies and video games more and more violent, more and more realistic. The thing is there still are messed up people out there and they need a physical/real outlet for their violence, hence problems. Another thing is global communication can report every attrocity live as its happening, we cannot stay blind to the violence around us.

15. oedipus I enjoy fecal matter Registered Senior Member

violence acutually seems to have been abeyed since the advent of video games, though the is nothing to change the anger that some people feel, whether it be video games or war.

16. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

I think that falls with what I just said, we realise it is immoral so now we create these fantasy forms of violent entertainment.

17. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I don't say it is immoral

Of course I prefer simulated violence.
    (paintball, martial-arts, virtual reality)
    but tht is just because I value human life.

*a digital warrior has spoken*

18. Ender Registered Senior Member

about the teenage love issue, I think that many teens today date/ go out with other people because the media tell them its what they need to have the perfect/ normal life. Its the same with comercials, they say that you need this for the normal life.
    The media is the most infulencal thing in socity.

Violence was, is and will be!

19. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

well I'm not obsessed with dating. More with computers

I'm quite a human emotion cold person who doesn't watch tv , only discovery channel, and here's the result->
    computer geek, martial arts fanat, adores ancient history and science.
    girls come somewhere after tht. I'm not normal

20. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

I feel that the explosion of violent entertainment doesn't so much come from our "inner need for violence" but our "inner need to be active". Humans, like all animals, are active by nature, and our current society (I'm speaking from an industrialized U.S. point of view here) has all of these "time-saving devices" (which really in the long run don't save time), which takes all of the activity out of our lives. Our society has become so concerned in making life "easy" and "safe" that it has also taken the fun and activity out of our lives. To satify our brains, we fantasize about things which really are no longer feasible in our society, and hence movies, video games, plays, books - entertainment media.

But I also agree with truthseeker, violence becomes a spiral in nature. Our aggressive human nature, begets such violent media, which begets more aggresssion, which begets even more violent media, etc. (notice how each action movie tries to outdo the previous).

-Xenu