Microsoft Teams question

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by wegs, Jun 7, 2022.

1. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

How secure is this Jitsi thing?
    Pretty sure Teams has so much buy-in because it is supported by the peeps who make the OS.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Neddy Bate Valued Senior Member

So maybe that "trained" it to stop setting you as "away"? Or mayhaps you just started avoiding being in Outlook for too long.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Neddy Bate Valued Senior Member

Jitsi is open source, and claims it does not monitor or record the meetings. But it is not really secure, because anyone who knows (or guesses) the name of the room can easily enter the room. That is actually the beauty of how easy it is to use though. I think there are ways to set up Jitsi on one's own server which are more secure, but I never have done so.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Maybe. I think if Outlook is open and I’m not actively using it, for example I’m on my cell, it will show me as “away.” So you could be right in that the amount of time in Outlook is setting it as “away.” Away from Teams.

Another observation - if you have your status set to “available” using the phone app, but you’ve logged out of Teams on your laptop, it will show you as available in the app, but you’ll appear as logged out to your coworkers. Even if they’re using the app on their cell phones. They should work out some of these glitches.

8. Neddy Bate Valued Senior Member

In my experience today, the only way to replicate the "away" issue was to actually let Outlook remain maximized on my computer screen for some time. Using other apps full-screen did not replicate the issue, as far as I could tell.

I'm going to test it again, using Outlook in a smaller screen, instead of maximized. If that doesn't work, I'll try it with Outlook and Teams running side by side.

9. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

How long is “some time?” If you’re not actively using Teams for a long time, it makes sense for it to show you as “away.” My status turns to “away” after only a few minutes.

Okay.

10. Neddy Bate Valued Senior Member

Okay, it just changed me to "away" while Outlook was on the screen in a small window. Teams was only open on the program bar, not open on the screen.

Next I will try it with both Teams and Outlook open on the screen each in a small window. I will not have either of them as my active window though, I will use this small browser window as the active window. Let's see what happens.

11. Neddy Bate Valued Senior Member

For me, it never turns my status to "away" as long as Outlook is not open on the screen. I can have Outlook open and running but minimized on the program bar, and I will remain "available" in Teams indefinitely while I am actually using other programs such as this browser. If I have Outlook open on the screen, with Teams minimized on the program bar, it changes me to "away" after a few minutes.

That is why I am currently testing having both Outlook and Teams open in small windows on the screen, but with me actually using this browser in a small window. So far it has not changed me to "away." But of course with this arrangement, I can actually see both Teams and Outlook, so I am not really away even though I am focused on this browser window.

So that is the solution. Have a large display, and leave both Teams and Outlook open side by side, with whatever other programs you want to use also open in small windows. Yay! Or just leave Outlook minimized on the program bar.

wegs likes this.
  12. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Yay! Thank you for taking the time to do this!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I’ll try it tomorrow as I’ve shut down for the day.

13. Neddy Bate Valued Senior Member

One more test:

Now I am going to test having both Teams and Outlook open in small windows side by side, but with the focus kept on Outlook for awhile. Let's see what happens.

14. Neddy Bate Valued Senior Member

It worked! My status remained "available" (green check mark) even though I was focused on Outlook for a long time, while Teams was also open on the desktop side by side with Outlook. That way Teams knows we can still see it, even though it also knows we are primarily using Outlook.

It's too smart for its own good! But luckily, so are we!

wegs likes this.
  15. Neddy Bate Valued Senior Member

You are welcome! Please post your results tomorrow so we will know what happened.

16. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Wegs, can you just set Teams on permanently available or something like that and just change that when you go to lunch?

There is a numbers game "Sudoku" that keeps track of how long it takes to to finish the puzzle but I notice that when you switch tabs that clock stops. You don't have to sign out of the game, just click on another tab.

So if you decide to check email, for example, the clock in the puzzle stops. When you click on that tab again, the clock starts. It sounds like something similar is going on with Teams?

17. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Could have tested it this evening since I work from home, but I'll try it tomorrow morning and report my findings. lol

There is a ''timer'' that you can set your statuses to let people know you're away, on vacation, etc..and it appears as though available is an option for the timer, as well. But, you need to add a message to your status, then set it to ''never'' where it asks when you want the message to expire. For some reason Seattle, it doesn't work. After a few minutes, nearly every time, it would show my status as ''away.'' It's not like the sky is falling when this happens, but it's annoying considering...I'm not away.

But, Neddy solved the mystery ...the status changes seem to coincide with Outlook usage.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
  18. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Right or wrong, I decided from the beginning to never use Outlook. No need (for me) to get tied into Microsoft anymore than necessary.

19. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I'm happy to report, that I've been running both Outlook and Teams side by side, and my status has not changed to ''away.'' Yay!

I'm sort of neutral on MS products. Do you dislike the brand over compatibility reasons, or simply dislike how they've monopolized the market?

Random observation having nothing to do with MS Office 365, but...when I'm logged into this site using my phone, posts by number aren't visible, but they display when using my laptop. Are you seeing the same thing?

20. Neddy Bate Valued Senior Member

That is great news. Now everyone will see you as the hardest worker!

Next time we have a virtual meeting, I will use this trick so as to appear "available" even if I am sending emails during the meeting. Everyone else will turn yellow, but I will remain green. Ha!

21. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

It’s like having a super power. lol

22. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I don't use my phone for this site or rarely for any website. Regarding Outlook, I just don't like to have something as frequently used as email tied to Microsoft just because if one thing isn't working correctly it can take down everything.

I think originally I was using a Netscape reader (?) and Outlook kept wanting to link programs that I didn't care about to Outlook. Much in the same way that I'm always getting message to change my password even though the site is my utility company (as if someone else is going to pay my bill).

Many of the "features" that Microsoft pushes aren't "features" to me. I like to keep some things simple. Less to go wrong. An example would be the problems that you've had with email that even your IT department can't easily solve. You have to do it because you have to interconnect with a company but I don't have to do that.

23. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

That's true. Unfortunately, it's (Outlook) a must in the workplace. It's interesting but for a company that's close to having the market cornered, they seem a little out of touch in terms of their own software functionality glitches. I think the IT Dept at my firm dislikes Microsoft because they tend to create ''innovations'' that seem to only work with their products/platform.

Seattle likes this.