Military Events in Syria and Iraq Thread #4

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Yazata, Apr 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceaura Valued Senior Member

And if one doesn't, having a religious conflict ready to hand makes it much harder to avoid in times of trouble - such as climate change, or the release of old grudges and conflicts in the aftermath of war.
    Of course. And he's in near-perfect alignment with Republican Trump's motives and preferences in that respect - like you've been told, over and over. What do you think fascism is, some kind of joke?
    That cover was blown in 2002 - with Bolton's loud contribution. It didn't work out like you seem to think it should. It won't this time, either.
    The ones who advocate first strike use, believing they can control the consequences, are the most dangerous. The ones who build up and spread the means for disaster in the naive belief that accident and mishap are vanishingly unlikely are the second most dangerous. Republican Trump is in both categories. He can find generals who will cooperate with him.
    And he is of course completely ignorant of the effects of nuclear war - even more than you are, in your world of propaganda analysis instead of climate research.
    I never mean any of your idiotic invented presumptions. Just read the posts, why not.
    You keep taking what Trump says seriously, no matter how many times you are made foolish - you never learn.
    The Kurds will suffer, then. So will the victims of sectarian war and internal religious persecution in the various countries involved - the Shia and Sunni will be thrown into conflict by climate change as well as their centuries of grudge, the Christians and Bahai and so forth as well.
    But all of that is predicated on the US pulling out of the Middle East - leaving Syria, Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Lebanon, etc, to work things out without US presence. You would have to get rid of the Republican Party's dominance in the US government to arrange that. So not this year - we won't even be able to get rid of Trump for months yet.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Schmelzer Valued Senior Member

Your use of the word "fascism" is, indeed, some kind of joke.
    I think the Iraq war has seriously harmed the unipolar US rule of the world. It has given Russia some years to recover from the 90s.
    Just to clarify: I have not claimed that he is not ignorant. The place where I think the knowledge is better is the pro-war faction. I doubt Trump is part of it. He is pro-military. Give the US military a lot of money, and in 10 years it will be much better than now, American military being great again. But it is not a good idea to start the war now.
    Nice try. Reasonable people use all the information which is available. In particular also propaganda sources as well as statements from unreliable guys. Learn the difference between using such information and taking it seriously. As an example, see above, how I have used the SOHR data. I hope it is clear that I do not think these data have to be "taken seriously".
    I'm more optimistic about this. Don't forget that most of the Syrian army is Sunni. And don't forget that the Kurds in Iraq have not even started a serious fight, but run away.
    The reason for the US to leave Syria will be military reasons. Too much dead US soldiers, in a situation where you have much less military power in comparison with Afghanistan and Iraq because there will be nearby supporters which cannot be attacked without risking a war with Russia. This will remember the Vietnam war, where Soviet weapon delivery by Soviet ships was not touched, Soviet aircraft (at least according to popular Soviet jokes, even with Soviet pilots) shooting American planes. Such military reasons to leave can be understood bipartisan.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. iceaura Valued Senior Member

It's never been a good idea to start these miserable wars. That didn't stop Bolton and W, it won't stop Bolton and Trump. Besides: the war's already started.
    But you never do. You have been informed about Trump many times, and made no use of that information whatsoever. You still listen to the "content" of what he says, as if you knew nothing about him.
    So is most of the Turkish army - always has been. So was the command of the Iraqi Army under Saddam. They all beat up on the Kurds anyway.
    There aren't many dead soldiers, and the guys in charge aren't worried about that. They aren't worried about war with Russia either, at least not much - maybe Trump is, because of the puppet strings, but nobody else.
    The US did not leave Vietnam because of Soviet military action. It won't leave the Middle East for that reason either - and Basher Assad is no Ho Chi Minh.

Most wars the US has started since WWII have been extensions or projections of domestic politics.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. someguy1 Registered Senior Member

But enough about Waco. The US used poison gas against innocent children. You know this, right? I suppose that would give Syria the right to bomb the US, by your logic.

8. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Can you name a war that ended well?

9. someguy1 Registered Senior Member

Are you using this as a rhetorical point in support of the idea that the US being endlessly at undeclared war in multiple countries is perfectly ok?

10. sculptor Valued Senior Member

quite the opposite
    end well .....................?
    as long as it ends
    (yesterday---would be good)

the thing about the government
    we have over 21 million people in government in this country
    with that many, some are trigger happy homicidal maniacs

who, when one of them kills someone are usually immune from prosecution

quicksand
    when our government sends in the military---they fuck stuff up---break things and kill people--and create chaos
    Then our government claims that we have to stay in to stabilize the area
    as though they have ever actually accomplished that
    damned if I can figure out any decent rational reason for them doing these criminal regime change wars.
    go Tulsi
    https://www.votetulsi.com/node/25114
    "
    In 2012, the United States began a covert military campaign to overthrow the Syrian government of Assad in alliance with Saudi Arabia, the Gulf States, and Turkey.

As a result of that regime change war, more than 400,000 Syrians have been killed and millions have fled their homes as refugees. Furthermore, because of the chaos and weakening of Syrian government forces by the United States and our partners, ISIS, al-Qaeda, and other terrorist organizations have been strengthened, presenting an even greater threat to the Middle East and the world.

Meanwhile, in 2014, the U.S. launched military operations with Kurdish and Syrian Arab forces to defeat ISIS in Syria.

As a result, the United States is now simultaneously involved in two contradictory wars in Syria. ... "

Ok so our leaders are criminals who will never be called upon to answer for the deaths they have caused.

(now comes a series of pre-deleted expletives)
    At the very least, they are guilty of depraved indifference

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  11. someguy1 Registered Senior Member

Yes definitely.

I read something the other day that made an interesting point. In the US, arms manufacture is a profit-making private enterprise. That's the underlying reason we're doomed to be in these endless wars.

12. Schmelzer Valued Senior Member

Unfortunately, for some people, it is a good idea to start wars. Last but not least, the US has started a lot of wars, but it is one of the richest states. And for those in political power in the US, it is certainly useful even personally.
    I do not consider what you write as information, it is propaganda too, of your own ideology. If it contains information (say, in form of a link), I take a look at this. Sometimes it is interesting. But your repeated claims without anything nontrivial information is simply dismissed as useless propaganda. You are unable to "inform" about what I have to think. All you can do is to give me interesting information. I prefer sources which give such information.
    Of course, the Kurdish problem is not a religious one. It is classical nationalism but applied to an ethnicity which has itself no national unity but is ruled by family clans.
    I have heard some ideas that going out of Vietnam had nothing to do with the military. Maybe there have been other important reasons. But I don't think that it the military situation on the ground did not play an important role.

13. CptBork Valued Senior Member

Bashar Assad doesn't have any Viet Cong to back him up with millions of sacrificial casualties. Everyone hates his guts except his Russian puppet masters and the Iranians who covet his land and send poorly-trained cannon fodder to seize it, so comparing the situation to Vietnam is a complete joke. The US stays until either its leaders decide otherwise, or it will take a full declaration of war on Russia's part with unpredictable results.

The only way for a regional power like Russia or its allies to fight a successful conventional war against a superpower such as the US or its allies, is to have lots of homes, schools and hospitals to hide their weapons in, and lots of international observers screaming when they go kablooey. Russkies don't have any such advantages in Syria.

14. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Not nearly as rich as if it had not invaded Iraq, or Vietnam. Not nearly as rich as if it had fostered democracy and freedom in Central and South America. And not nearly as rich as the corporate elite that calls America its home and claims to be American - it's easy to mistake their riches for American prosperity, but it's not the same thing.
    America does not benefit from these miserable wars - not as a country.
    You don't consider anything visible here as information - except US rightwing agitprop, sometimes.
    That's one of the things I keep pointing out to you - you seem to have the basic idea, but you can't get a grip on the significance of being unable to learn from people like me.
    You have never once succeeded in obtaining information from any sources in conflict with your inculcated presuppositions, or any sources linked by me. All such sources appeared to you automatically as propaganda, and falsehood at that.
    So it's not nationalism, classic or otherwise.

And so what I posted in the first place was simply the situation. There is no more likely peace available from Assad winning than Assad losing - except that obtainable by atrocity against Assad's enemies, or by exporting the violence to the neighbors via refugee exclusion.

15. CptBork Valued Senior Member

If the US stayed out from the very beginning, you're saying no one would have died? The Syrian people would have hired taxis to drive themselves to the torture chambers instead of putting up a fight? Maybe if the US stayed out of WW2 there wouldn't have been a Holocaust or a Japanese invasion of China? Turkey wouldn't have sponsored ISIS while Assad watched it flourish and take on all his other enemies?

If you don't want to see military action, why does the US continue trading with and enriching people who want to destroy it and take away the freedoms its citizens enjoy, or trade with partners who then turn around and trade with these same folks?

16. CptBork Valued Senior Member

There is informations from Russian ministry of fascist bullshit that Russia plans to attack some Assad targets and blame the attackings on Amerika.

17. Schmelzer Valued Senior Member

So, it looks like the US wants war with Russia. They have started again a fake chemical weapon attack, and are talking now about another attack against Syria. Russia has already said that it will retaliate if rockets are sent to Damascus.
    You behave like if you are in a superior position, like a teacher, but unfortunately, you would be a very bad teacher, because a good teacher would not tell the pupils that they are stupid, but, instead, give them information.
    Complete nonsense. I do this all the time. Because there are no sources in the world which propose a political line I completely agree with.
    ????????????? Completely off?

The fake gas attack has already happened. And Trump is again talking about some horrible pictures and plans an attack.

The guess is that this time they will start rockets from some submarine. At least the Russians seem to be afraid of this, they have already transferred some days ago some special planes for fighting submarines.

18. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Mattis:

19. Schmelzer Valued Senior Member

The Russian MoD claims to have evidence that the video about the gas attack is faked. https://www.rt.com/news/424047-russian-mod-syria-statement/

The Russians have found two of the physicians who worked in the Douma hospital and appeared on the video. They said that there were no victims of any chemical attack, but some people with smoke intoxication caused by a fire. Then came some people with cameras and they said that there has been a chemical attack, which caused some panic among those in the room.

20. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Good piece of input here from the St Petersburg troll farm.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. sculptor Valued Senior Member

No evidence of chemical attack.
    None.

Will that even slow the war hawks down?
    Are they so addicted to killing that they just can't stop?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  22. iceaura Valued Senior Member

The Republican Party wants a war here, yes. Trump needs one, Bolton has advocated heavy US military involvement in Syria his entire adult life, Pompeo et al have no objection. They're probably assuming Russia will back down a bit.
    The civilian Republicans don't factor in the killing - it doesn't register in their awareness outside of political repercussion potential. It's something untermenschen do to other untermenschen.

23. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Three civilians injured, apparently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.