Military Service...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Seattle, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I'll let you define what one is. Everyone isn't one IMO just because they are in the military. Is a cook in the Navy a hero? Why thank them for their service as opposed to a cook at McDonalds? The cook in the Navy has a much better job and where it not for the military many would be cooks at McDonalds.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

well until you define what you mean by hero There is not much point to further discussion. Why post a thread about heroism if you aren't prepared to explain what you mean?

I have no idea what you mean by hero?

Is a naval cook a hero?
    What does a naval cook have to do to become a hero? ( other than serve something better than Mash Potato

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Casey Ryback?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

HMS Sheffield - Falklands War - 1982

8. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Are you implying that the twenty who died were heroes just for dying? What am I missing there?

Truck Captain Stumpy likes this.
  9. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

nope... just for being in the line of fire with the potential of injury death or ultimately both.
    but hey the definition of hero is floating variable ( excuse the pun) so eh what ever....

Also the 20 died for who? Certainly not for their own interests....They paid the supreme sacrifice for who?

10. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Example:
    Currently on the border with Russia are 7000 plus soldiers (4000 USA). The largest assembly of NATO Forces on the Russian Border since ww2 ( according to Russia)
    Every minute, right now, they are facing potential annihilation yet they are still there, regardless of how much they are being paid.

Are they hero's?

(depends on your definition of hero and who's making the assessment.)

In response to the question about a cook being a hero:
    "Twenty of her crew (mainly on duty in the galley area and in the computer room) died as a result of the attack."

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  11. Seattle Valued Senior Member

A hero is someone who willing puts themselves in harms way when they didn't have to. A soldier has to. They can still be a hero if they do more than that but just signing up for the military doesn't make someone a hero.

Therefore a cook isn't a hero IMO.

12. Truck Captain Stumpy The Right Honourable Reverend Truck Captain Valued Senior Member

and i can vouch for Toad and state, with knowledge, that you're very wrong
    but that is only experience and knowledge speaking, so you will likely not believe it

i always find deviant behaviour, delusional beliefs and aberrant neurosis fascinating - it's all part of what drives me to study criminal psychology as it's all grounded in such similar circumstance
    tell me: how, exactly, can you tell what kind of job they did without interacting and experiencing the result of their work?
    perhaps you should re-read what i wrote... or is english not your primary language?

AH... so english is NOT your first language. or you're illiterate. either one works considering your interpretation of clear, concise worded points.
    i can share a link to help you, though... http://www.readingbear.org/
    you should use it. perhaps then you can re-read what i wrote and try again!

LMFAO
    for starters: we were there and we were not at war, nor had we destroyed the place...

so not only are you wrong, but you're completely uninformed about reality and how the military works. as a member of NATO we (the US Military) often perform humanitarian missions that don't have a damn thing to do with the US, in places like Bosnia, Africa, South America, etc...

history. it really did happen regardless of what you believe
    i've used psychology terms, not medical ones, so perhaps you can tell me to what you are referring??
    thanks
    LMFAO

really... learn to read. it will help when you have to argue!

ROTFLMFAO
    and i didn't call you that for your refusal to thank me...
    i called you "delusional" and "narcissistic" because you've displayed those behaviour traits

do you know what they mean?
    ah... never mind. i forgot. english aint your first language.
    apologies for that one

13. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I see that you are in community college thanks to the G.I. Bill. I think that's great. It's always great to try to improve yourself a bit. It might surprise you to learn that a Psychiatrist is a medical doctor.

Does the G.I. Bill also pay to go to a real college, assuming you are successful in your community college studies? I think it does. Good luck to you.

14. Truck Captain Stumpy The Right Honourable Reverend Truck Captain Valued Senior Member

what were you driving?
    LMFAO
    sorry.... just had to ask that one...
    LMFAO
    oops... actually, no, they don't
    for starters: a soldier is, very specifically, a member of the US Army. A Marine is referred to as a Marine, a Navy person is a Seaman, and an Air Force person is an Airman.

not all members of the Army are required to put themselves in harms way, so by definition a soldier is not someone who has to put themselves in harms way. there are different jobs in the Army that have absolutely no combat job at all and are required by convention, law and culture to be non-combatants and wear designating identification, yet are also called soldiers.

was that clear enough for you, or should i hit up google translate? what is your primary language?

and that is your opinion

when you've been in the field without a hot meal for long periods, any cook becomes your hero when you meet up with them
    the military travels on it's stomach and even though i love MRE's as well as C-Rations, K Rations and other similar fare, even i prefer a good cooked meal

but that is also IMHO, so i do think cooks can be hero's

of course, i also know that certain cooks are also not at all what they appear, having served for my entire life and also having been a military brat, so i am not so quick to judge like you are

15. Truck Captain Stumpy The Right Honourable Reverend Truck Captain Valued Senior Member

nope. but the GI Bill did pay for my first two baccalaureates though
    perhaps you should (again) re-read that... i said psychology, and i didn't mention psychiatrist at all

and a psychologist has no such medical degree requirements

perhaps you should google that one again?
    mine paid for the University of Miami and University of Texas
    my MIT classes come out of the VA, so it's a different budget

does that count as real?

EDIT:
    special caveat: my GI BILL contract from way back doesn't actually pay for college. it pays you a wage that you receive should you be enrolled in college - to use for things like: food, rent, fuel, books, etc

so you can use it anywhere so long as you're enrolled.
    there are no "requirements" for a university or community college. only that you're enrolled in courses and can provide evidence of such every semester to continue getting paid

16. Seattle Valued Senior Member

That doesn't count if the output is this nonsense I'm reading. There's not a lot of intelligent commentary here on your part. Name calling and a constant remark to go to Google does not a MIT graduate make.

You were a foot soldier right?

17. Truck Captain Stumpy The Right Honourable Reverend Truck Captain Valued Senior Member

hmm... that is what i've been telling you!

and here we go with the literacy problem again... perhaps you should actually use that link i left you?
    where did i say i was an MIT graduate?
    was that simply your way of attempting a slam without comprehending WTF is actually being said?

you know, it will be easier to see "intelligent commentary here on [any] part" when you can actually grasp what is being said. so far, you've not actually comprehended anything that i posted, let alone got it correct when you attempted to denigrate it in a later post...
    served only a short stint as combat arms (Air Defense Artillery)
    spent most of my career as a professional Firefighter, Paramedic, Investigator and Truck Captain

do i need to explain that in a monosyllabic vocabulary for your comprehension?

18. Seattle Valued Senior Member

You're doing just fine to demonstrate my point Trunk Captain.

19. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

fair enough... I would agree if the context was "typical"

but you asked:
    well now you have answered your own question yes?

Except you have extended your question by including a political presumption.

Which then changes the nature of your question... yes?

To me you are suggesting that there can be no hero's if the military action results in no improvement.
    And I disagree with that.... because as I have said I believe, you are mixing heroism with politics.

One of the reasons why this is important to me is that the curse of political hysterics, as you have eloquently expressed, placed upon returned veterans from the Vietnam war meant that a generation of conscripted ( forced ) youth were robbed of recognition for the hardship, pain and suffering they endured whilst fighting a cause that had dubious moral (political) value. Sure they got paid for it. Sure there were many hero's and much heroism.

Mixing politics with soldering is a terrible way of venting your dismay. IMO

The soldiers do as they are told ( as you have said) and are not to be blamed for the politicians immorality.

The tragic legacy of vagrant veterans is testimony to such political hysteria.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  20. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I see there was a typo in my original post but I can't correct that now. I meant to ask "Why is everyone in the military a hero.....".

My point here was that "hero" and "thank you for you service" have been overused. Upon the mention that someone was in the military some thank them for their service and consider them to be a hero.

Of course, many in the military are just unable to get a job elsewhere and suddenly they are heros and we are thanking them for being Truck Captains.

21. Truck Captain Stumpy The Right Honourable Reverend Truck Captain Valued Senior Member

1- you haven't made a point that is relevant to what is actually said yet... so it is not possible to demonstrate your point when you can't comprehend what is actually written in the posts above, jeenyous

2- you still having problems with literacy? i told you to use this link: http://www.readingbear.org/

enjoy and best of luck to you on your new found knowledge once you've achieved the 9th grade reading and comprehension levels

thanks

22. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Literate people generally know when to capitalize a letter or two.

23. Truck Captain Stumpy The Right Honourable Reverend Truck Captain Valued Senior Member

perhaps you should re-read what i was saying...

at least, you should re-read it when you can withdraw your sanctimonious anus from around your orbital and retrobulbar fascia and actually read what is written

yep
    and then there are people who actively refuse to capitalise for a specific reason
    these people also fall into the same category as those who choose to use colloquial terms during discourse (as in: terms not typically utilised during conversations which can give away specific information that can be used to restrict or narrow data points for identification, such as the use of Subway or Hero when discussing a large sandwich, etc)

do i need to link references to help you comprehend any of that?
    oops... never mind
    forgot who i was talking to