Milky way galaxy

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by timojin, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

Ok. I've done that too - I was a navigator on a ship and we did it for practice. Not sure if that means you understand now or not...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. timojin Valued Senior Member

Since our galaxy rotate at about 250 mole / second , Is there a centripetal acting force on the solar within the galaxy ?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I snipped a paragraph from a link that might help you with that question.

http://staff.washington.edu/aganse/blog/files/centrip.html

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. timojin Valued Senior Member

As our solar system is moving we will come closer to the center of the galaxy which I assume there is a black hole or some bar like highly illuminate center . Will our solar system be brighter then is at the present position ?
    Other question " let's assume our sun have not started the fusion and everything is dark , in our solar system . will the intensity of the galactic center bring light to our solar system ?

8. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

No we should stay roughly the same distance from the galactic center. After our 'collision' with the andromeda galaxy there is no telling where the remnats of the solar system will end up.
    I am not sure what you mean. The only reason the center of the galaxy is so brighter is because there are more stars closely spaced.
    The galaxy is bringing light to the earth now. The light on a moonless night is from the milky way galaxy.

ajanta likes this.
  9. timojin Valued Senior Member

The question is since we are moving in a spiral ara, so eventually we must pass into or close to the center , would our planet be more litt then at the present moonless light

10. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Why? The solar system is in a stable orbit around the galactic center, so why would it get any closer? No, we do not pass into or close to the galactic center.

11. timojin Valued Senior Member

The way I look at the picture there is a spiral movement to the center the they sort of diverge after they move from the center . I am not talking of the movement of our solar system, but the movement of the content in the arm of the galaxy

12. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Our solar system moves around in an orbital fashion passing through all arms, which in effect are "density waves."
    There is no spiralling in towards the center.

13. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

Look at it this way: draw a spiral on a circle of paper, and draw an X somewhere. Spin the paper. Does the X move towards the middle, or not?

14. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

15. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

here is a capture I managed many years ago. over an hour exposure.
    and we are looking towards the center of our galaxy.
    Alex

Attached Files:

Bowser, origin, ajanta and 1 other person like this.
  16. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Great work!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

ajanta likes this.
  17. timojin Valued Senior Member

So there is a red , darker, and a lighter lighter area , what does would mean with respect if our solar system be in either area and the elimination of the earth ?

18. timojin Valued Senior Member

19. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I think my concern would be the probability of the solar system passing through a cloud of stellar gas, not moving inward towards the galactic center.

20. timojin Valued Senior Member

My basic question could there be light on the earth at some time prior the sun initiate its ilumination

21. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I would probably first ask whether the Sun was active prior to the formation of the Earth. My quess is that it was burning long before our planet formed, but I don't know that to be fact.

22. timojin Valued Senior Member

My suspicion it was formed prior the sun started to burn . We have all sort of high atomic weight elements while the sun have mainly Hydrogen, beside in order to obtain such a large mass it will take a longer time to crude material to hold the mass by gravitational force.

23. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

No, simply because there wasn't an Earth.