Mobile apps

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by deepslate, Oct 20, 2014.

1. deepslate Registered Member

Hi, I want to create my own mobile app. Can you suggest what platform is best to use? Do you have personal experience in using it? Thanks!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

If you picked Apple smartdevices then you'll be looking at Objective C as the language of choice, Other devices (e.g. Android) use Java and those phones that uses Windows can use a number of languages (C++/C# etc). Python can also potentially be a choice programming language.

What you'll likely want to do is consider which language you'd prefer to use and find an IDE that you feel comfortable learning to use. (One that's capable of being used for all platforms is www.netbeans.org)

No matter which you might pick, if you have a project you intend to do you can plan the logic and pseudocode in advance and find that it's possible to use those plans to aid in porting into other languages for other platforms should you chose to.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. deepslate Registered Member

I was thinking I want to do Android POSSIBLY Windows. I have played with the Microsoft Visual C++ but think I want to start with Android and since you seem pretty well "versed" in the subject have you heard of Xamarin?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I'm not versed in Xamarin, however it was apparently built on Monodevelop and inherited some of it's bugs. (below is some interesting links on Xamarin, the first being why a particular user didn't get on with it and a list of what they saw as failures that is of course over a year ago and some comments in relationship to an anonymous letter about a monopoly, while the letter might not be that impressive the comments do identify various users concerns in regards to the "proprietary" nature not fixing the Open Source related bugs)

http://www.whitneyland.com/2013/05/why-i-dont-recommend-xamarin-for-mobile-development.html
    https://gist.github.com/anonymous/38850edf6b9105ee1f8a
    http://monodevelop.com/

8. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

Starting off with android is a straightforward decision because it costs you exactly nothing, you develop in java, on eclipse with the android sdk which you can dowload with on eclipse, and you can post your apps to google play for free.

To develop for apple you need a mac computer, a paid developer account, and will need to figure out objective c, which is no big deal, but not as straightforward as just using the java stuff everyone is already used to. You are also subject to more strict rules for approval of your app to go into the app store. All in all a lot more hoops to jump through if you just want to mess around for a little while before diving in.

That said, the potential for making money off of apps is a lot greater with apple.

9. AshtonAsh Registered Member

During the years it is common to consider universal platforms, which take much less time to develop. As for mobile development, such a platform is reactive native. We believe that the cross-platform technology has made a big leap towards delivering native the look and feel to apps preserving development time and effort. for now, it seems that delivering mobile apps for corporate software is the best fit here. Create React Native App is the easiest way to start building a new React Native application. It allows you to start a project without installing or configuring any tools to build native code - no Xcode or Android Studio installation required.
    The key reasons why we think it’s time to opt for react native are here https://goo.gl/19AA3P

10. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

AshtonAsh likes this.