Moderator Needed... Apply Within

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by goofyfish, Jun 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hathor Banned Banned

funny? tired and old is how i see it. the last time i encountered stuff like that is when a gay buddy of mine went into full bitch mode. the cattiness was a sight to behold

tiassa's groove needs a makeover.
    tired old hack. the rants are soooo predictable and formulaic.

easily amused, eh hed?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hathor Banned Banned

Maybe you should make a more consistent argument. You call one thing bogus and then go on to talk about something else in order to make your point.

your inadequacy in following the train of thought that you introduced is hardly my problem. however, allow me to hammer it into your skull this time around

I think it's rather an interesting issue.

no comment

The simple fact is that people who are not compelled to communicate clearly...

bogus, it was obviously clear enough for you to figure out meaning. kapeesh? regardless of your distaste for purported origins and spelling, the msg came thru loud and clear. kapeesh?

...are no longer capable of understanding even the colloquialisms they use.

there are two ways i could interprete this.
    1 - kapeesh is uttered without comprehension. that is an absolutely ridiculous scenario and is discarded as it is the spelling that is in dispute and not one's understanding of it
    2 - i then go on to assume that you must be referring to the people's lack of understanding of the roots of the colloquialisms they use.

i see no other avenues of interpretation and hence chose the latter. as a result i respond with...

"furthermore, etymology is specialized field of study. it is unreasonable (not to mention, insane) to expect the general populace to know the roots of the terminology employed in their speech " kapeesh?

What a waste.

yuck, your sincerity reeks

That I understand? What's the problem?

huh? neurons misfiring?

Just becuz I dont lik speling evrything fonetikly duznt meen I kant put xtra efort in2 undrstanding wut u r saying.

recognition was immediate. there was no extra effort. (i am psychic)

You are ... off-course with that.
    I persist in ignoring the fact that what was once held to be dysfunctional can pass into established usage over time? Hello? Do you really think it sounds intelligent when you tell me I persist in ignoring exactly what I'm addressing?
    Really ... do you think that's a good argument on your part?
    And that's a serious question. It helps me figure out what I'm dealing with in this discussion.

it is not an argument. it is an observation of your position. it is also a statement of fact. allow me to elaborate

you start off with an acknowledgement:

Watch the American dictionaries over time. They do accommodate bad spelling and public trends. After a while, words people insist on using creep into dictionaries. Like "d'oh!"

you then go on to take issue with your own premise:

But come on ... adaptation to accommodate those who cannot spell the colloquialisms they use? Give me a break.

and you keep at it. ad nauseaum

you must understand that i do not give a rats ass about your personal opinion on the word kapeesh. discomfort, emotional distress and offended sensibilities are issues that you will have to deal on your own. i suggest medical intervention.
    i find your take irrational and unreasonable. it is also very hypocritical.

It helps me figure out what I'm dealing with in this discussion.

you have conveniently refused to acknowledge at least 2 posts. perhaps the problem lies there. put a genuine effort into comprehending the entire topic instead of selectively extracting points you can throw a hissy fit over

You overlook the issue with such a simplification. I consider this point of yours rather problematic since you're trying to establish the credibility of your argument in the legitimacy of the phonetic spelling and colloquial degradation of a colloquialism by citing a reference designed to compile exactly such odd mutations in the language.

it is out there. references abound in popular culture to that form. my guess is that the current mutation, regardless of how it came about, will replace the previous one. besides, it has happened before. culture vultures have ranted and rave for centuries on stuff like this and they will keep doing so. what the curent vultures are not aware of is that they probably employ jargon that were subject to hissy fits by the vultures of old.

let me reiterate on why you have no credibility on this issue

1 - kapeesh - original form - capiche
    2 - 'nuff - original form - enough

you employ the second and refuse to consider the first. zero consistency

Wow. Never have I seen such reverence for the theory of the uneducated guess.

wow. never have i seen such a spiteful and exaggerated characterization on a rather simple theory. your disingenuity is noted

Having only ever heard the word as a child, I can tell you that I never imagined it spelled kapeesh . Seeing it written the first time, I knew what the word was immediately, even without context.

spare me your frikkin life story.

"Kapeesh" is entirely untextured, a basic phonetic derivation which strips the word of any indication on how to say it.

crap. it perfectly captures the modified pronounciation of the original form

Capiche there is little question about if you're smart enough to not guess "KA pee chay." Much like the "silent B" in crumb, or the ghost of "gh" in laugh, that last "e" in capiche does not disappear entirely if you say the word correctly.

the e has vanished because it is not required for pronouniciation

If you cut away the southern accent, the classic New York and New Jersey accents, ignore nearly-lost archetypal Chicago accent, and look at words from the perspective of the flat, dull, unburnished "dead American" accent that connects Minnesota to Seattle and Kansas to California and persists in specialized necessity throughout other regions of the country--this is the phonetic according to which "kapeesh" is a reasonable rendering of the word.

heh. how did you survive that admission? who the hell is twisting your arm? i particularly like this.

ignore nearly-lost archetypal Chicago accent

heh. go learn it, pass it on. keep it alive, man!

The logic at play in the spelling of "kapeesh" is the logic of someone who does not know how to read, and thus is otherwise unable (or unwilling) to look things up when they're confused.

irrelevant. again, no one gives a rat's ass about your biases

So "kapeesh" represents to me an illiterate attempt to be fashionable at worst or stylish at best.

you do not have a clue. in most cases, shit like this just happens. there is no attempt to do or be anything. on the other hand, it could be an effort by a literary type to propogate a modification.

your take is very shallow. infact it is catty, bitchy and a host of other descriptors that do not place you in a flattering light. aint fucking disco dead? take down that flashy strobe and aim for an academic treatment of the issue. the pouts and prancing grow tedious

It's kind of like carrying a squirt gun to school in order to look "gangsta." If one takes a moment to look into the potential ramifications of the idea, one would quickly see that carrying a squirt gun wouldn't be a good idea. But this is America, and one has the right to believe any ol' idea in the world is good, and they have no obligations to reality in that sense.

wake up, niggy! this exaggeration and attempts to blow out of proportion the issue at hand is tedious

So you're claiming that language only evolves according to illiteracy?
    Quite a risky thesis, Hathor.

wait for the actual claim, mr gung ho. your over eagerness is extremely telling of your intent.

Now, now ...

you mean wag, wag..

before you go and say that's not what you're saying, please consider that it is the result of what you're saying. ]

this is fascinatingly disingenuous. in effect, you insist on your interpretation of my statement. why do you then bother to ask for clarification? you set the above up so if i were to accept..."it is the result of what you're saying", i cannot " say that's not what you're saying,"

the ploy is transparent and lack sophistication. what an amateurish attempt at a deliberate misrepresentation of my intent. the self expose however is appreciated.

let me explain simplify with scenarios so you may comprehend

this "literary and linguistic pedestal" is a moving target. pick a word, hold it out as the definitive form. all i would have to do go back to its previous incarnation and claim purity (and of course, the charge of illiteracy)

now looky here, boy!

allow me to introduce a culture vulture's take on that incoherent and illiterate sentence

do you now understand? there is the charge of illiteracy. in your words (thanks)

why is it so hard to understand that language is not some static thing that exists in a vacuum?
    why is it so hard to understand that personal preferences and biases are irrelevant?
    i mean, it is ok to state your position.
    what is not ok however, is to base an argument on such a flimsy and subjective platform

No, at least you're trying to be original in your pettiness.

"no"? so i am not being petty? then i am being petty? tedious!
    in any case, document it. open up another front. get cracking, boy!

Oh, gee, Hathor. I'm frightened.

pardon, i can see how "a word to the wise." can be construed as a threat. my intent is to ignore...

...petty crap like this in the future. (i am aware your intent was to incite aflame war)

Really, I hope you're not even getting warmed up yet, because that's just pathetic.

naturally. you cannot say otherwise

I mean, you're relying on the illiterate and celebrating their dysfunction.

OUT OF CONTEXT:
    A twisted version of NIT-PICKING, the technique here is to purposely misunderstand some word, phrase, or analogy and shift the focus to it instead of the subject. This ploy will derail the other person into a defense of the word, phrase, or analogy instead of the case at hand.

you have come to the wrong place. amateur night is down the street

Style in general isn't offensive. But making a mockery of society's marginalized by instituting their deficiencies as "style" is rather a low representation of yourself, Hathor.

you lie. you misrepresent.
    you assume in our society that is only the marginalized that cannot spell. you assume that" kapeesh" could have only originated from a misspelling. you discount the possibility that it could have been a deliberate attempt to give the original, a phonetic structure.

you fantasize unrealistic situations and actually imagine a connection to reality
    my "style" does not exist to mock anyone. i dig italians. niro rules.
    you merely project your methods on to me. allow me to demonstrate on how you mock the niggers by thinly veiling it as a critique of language

*Makes me want to slap a dum fukking bich.

*That's so fukd. That's like, so dum. It's the kind of thing that comes from smoking 2 much crak. Thats lik the nacho cheez niger jok. It's even dummer than the hizzouse.''

I'm merely "representin' the hood.°

pathetic, you mock entire communities due to a sub culture present within it
    it is due to a total lack of class and bearing that allows one to expose prejudices in such a manner
    the cattiness is another dead giveaway.
    i would be ashamed

oh, it could also be blatant stupidity.

Think about it: guy wants style, so he says, "Capiche." But guy who wants style doesn't know how to spell it. So he makes something up. This, apparently, is the route to the evolution of language?

ahh you! you cheeky little irepressible devil you!

I mean, since you argue that all evolution of language can be charged with illiteracy?

woo hoo. overuse anyone? pump some gas, boy! you are running on empty

Pretty sad.

liar. you know you love it

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Hathor Banned Banned

anymore frikkin cheerleaders? step the fuck up and make your case

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. thefountainhed Fully Realized Valued Senior Member

helle spookz,
    disappointing to see you back after ranting you wouldn't. In anycase, make what fucking case? Shit was funny. That it reminds of your gay buddy's rants is irrelevant-- I do not know your buddy. It is not formulaic or predictable to me because I rarely read Tiassa's rants. Thus, fuck off and get drunk, and if that's not enough go piss in the pseudoscience subforum.

8. Hathor Banned Banned

hahaha. bastard!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Hathor Banned Banned

*bolded miniscule
    *i plead artistic licence

here we have a perfect example of your hypocrisy and unwitting illiteracy. do you not know how to spell this correctly?

questions

*why do you insist on making mockery of society's marginalized by institutionalizing their deficiencies by this usage?
    *why have you acquiesed to the evolution of a word that has its roots in illiteracy?
    *why do you conspire with the other illiterates in disseminating inaccurate spellings?
    *why are you accomadating and celebrating illiteracy?
    *is the logic at play in the spelling of "miniscule" the logic of someone who does not know how to read, and thus is otherwise unable (or unwilling) to look things up when they're confused?
    *where does this reverence for illiteracy stem from? and why?
    *is "miniscule" an illiterate attempt to be fashionable at worst or stylish on your part?
    *or is it just a blind, slavish and uncritical habit of conforming to anything that society throws your way?

well? answer the goddamn questions! defend yourself, oh grand censor
    here, gnaw on this bone

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I don't really want to get involved here, but here's an interesting piece I find on the spelling of minuscule/miniscule:

http://www.barnsdle.demon.co.uk/spell/mini.html

Number of hits on google:

"miniscule" 226,000
    "minuscule" 352,000

11. Hathor Banned Banned

jamesr

the link is provided in my post. see last sentence.. i am however wondering if pronounciation changed as well. the uhh becomes a ihh. how do you say it? i was trying it out and it appears i use the former while using the variant as the spelling

*i wonder if the maggot will bite.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2004
  12. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Sorry, Hathor, I didn't notice the link in your post.

13. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Obviously, you don't.

Hathor, when you try to make a point, don't exaggerate yourself so far out of context. I haven't attempted to provide you a "dictionary" that claims I spelled it correctly.

So get off your pathetic tantrum and stop to think: Some of us write one-drafters. Not all of us use our redlines because our e-dictionaries suck. So every once in a while typos and bad habits push through. This is not a problem. However, when someone puts such an effort as you have into justifiying illiteracy as a social aspiration, I think it's a different situation.

Although I thank you for the kind efforts of combing back through my posts day by day until you found an example upon which you could mount this latest temper tantrum.

The sad thing is that you're apparently not smart enough to figure out the difference.

We all make our mistakes, Hathor. It's only people in your position, with nothing left to fall back on, who try to make a federal case in their defense. And frankly, that's what I find so disgusting. Rather than let your knowledge grow, you're throwing the mother of all hissy-fits trying to justify the idea of society's most ignorant setting the course of communication.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.