Mods are too lax

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by Communist Hamster, Oct 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Gustav,
    I've always thought John Updike a vastly over-rated author. Make of that what you will.
    Ophiolite

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gustav Banned Banned

mmm
    and this monkey will jump thru your hoops?
    sorry
    the scrap aint bloody enough

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gustav Banned Banned

sorry
    the rules demand you ignore the error in order to be congratulated
    since you did not, i should insult you

read again

When other people join in the thread, the rules are simple: if they side with you, follow-up immediately and enthusiastically, congratulating them on their courage and intelligence; if they side with your opponent, insult the tossers.

nitpicking my spelling does not make you a brother in arms. it does quite the opposite. why do you not see that? you stupid? a fucking moron? what?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Carefull, you don't want to lose it before you have found it.

Your weaknessess are becoming exposed. Not a pretty sight.

8. Mephura Applesauce, bitch... Valued Senior Member

As I recall, It was you that had trouble believing what others would tell you.
    Paranoid delusions...

That might, just might, be why I said "you've stated time and again is your opinion"
    Nice to see you're following along.

That it is your opinion is a fact. That doesn't, however, make your opinion a fact. Slight difference.

You might better comprehend things if you read them as a whole. You stated that your characterization of his behavior was a fact, right after you made the statement that you've never bothered to actually get an acurate sampling. So you have an opinion. Nothing more.

Actually, he did it when he went back and quoted you in this thread showing you contradicting yourself over and over.
    Since we are going to label every 'tactic' used, nice try at deversion.

If your goal is understanding rather than winning, then you should use different tactics. However, I don't see many as getting in volved in a flame war with the goal of understanding.

Much in the same way you do. I will not say that he answered every little thing you said as I haven't read the thread in a few days, so I don't have it all fresh in mind, but what I saw was you ignoring anything he brought up as being inane, diversionary, tangental or whatever other excuse you decided to use at the time.

And if this bothers you, and you were aware of the tactic, why continue?
    Why not simply call him on it and stop answering?

True enough...
    First intelligent thing I've seen you say in a while.

You assuming victory as the end is your doing, not mine. Do try to stick to what is actually there without changing it to fit your agenda.

Actually, it seemed more like he was having fun with you. He did reply to much of what you were saying, in his own way, and raised some good points about your character while doing so.

Interesting how, in your mind, if someone doesn't agree with you they have somehow been fooled or duped. Have you ever considered that, perhaps, he did raise some valid points and that you are just being obstinate in not seeing them; that you already had your mind made up from the onset and have thus made yourself blind to how this all might look to others?

Actually, since the post was adressed to you, the "we" in question would be referring to you and I. It isn't difficult, vert. Do try to follow along.

So you had no goal but you had one in the beginning. Again with the contradictions....

Interesting that you would need to confirm your own oppinion after already stating it. Did you think that perhaps someone didn't believe you the first time, or the second, or the third,etc....?
    Secondly, and again this is only "popular oppinion" but, I didn't see him freak out, nor did the few here that I am in contact with. The only "freaking out" I saw came from you. If you are so knowledgible on gustav, then why does this typical and characteristic behavior on his part surprise you?

Interesting that you knew from the onset what his tactics would be. So you are a prophet now as well? Odd though that despite you knowing him well enough to predict his behavior that a normal (for him) reaction surprises you...

Would it now? So despite the fact that you've just agreed with it, you'll now go on to say that it isn't the case. Again, contradiction. If the approach was fallacious, then you should have stated so from the begining rather than agreeing with it.

Actually, I threw away the second part because it speaks of employing forces, and that definition didn't fit the situation. Words can have multiple meanings, Vert. That doesn't, however, mean they all apply at once. But, if you wish to discuss what forces you employed and how you employed them, then by all means...

It'd be nice if you bothered to have some clue what you are talking about.
    There is no loop. I gave the definition of the word. I then showed how your implication of not using tactics would be at best, fallacious, and at worst, just plain idiotic. It doesn't loop back to the definition in any way, shape, or form.
    We have no effect leading back to the cause that caused it.
    Christ you are tiresome.

Yours, more often than not.

9. Gustav Banned Banned

interesting
    you abuse your mod status over at thescienceforum to publish a ip address mined from the site into a post here

i must explore the ethics behind such an action
    trust me
    it will not reflect well on your integrity

10. Gustav Banned Banned

lemme file a complaint there

/cackle

11. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Take a close look Gustav. That is not any ip address you have ever used. Certainly not one you have used on that forum. Did you really think I was that foolish.

File away. I've already filed two complaints against you:
    1. Lifting my avatar that from another site and placing it here.
    2. Accusing me, falsely, of quoting your isp address.

Cut the crap.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2005
  12. Gustav Banned Banned

hehe
    i am aware that you changed a single number
    yet
    your intent was clear
    you thought i would be intimidated

its is strange how n00bs have no idea what is permissible or acceptable conduct
    like children they frequently cross boundaries and blurt out shit that is wholly inappropiate

to equate the use of an image freely available to anyone with an internet connection to publishing ip addresses available on a restricted basis to those entrusted with administrative juridiction over a group of people is erroneous. it is a violation of their right to privacy

i had never imagined a mod would stoop so low
    yet.
    it happened

you expose yourself
    we get the true measure of the holier than thou, ophiolite
    amazing
    another stinking masochist begging to be beaten up

Last edited: Dec 12, 2005
  13. Gustav Banned Banned

ophiolite

do not be like the hated valich
    answer the questions

14. Gustav Banned Banned

you came to me
    the ball was in your court
    you chose to enter the fray with a putdown
    so be it

15. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

And you planned to intimidate me by posting a publicly available photograph. That was just rude.
    I had no intention of intimidating you. [You do a fine enough job of that yourself.] I tested, and confirmed, that you are unobservant.
    I posted an ip address. An anonymous, quite possibly non-existent address.
    You immediately assumed it was yours. Why, because that is exactly the sort of cheap trick you would play.
    However, not everyone is like you, nor liking you I suspect.

So let us be clear. You have chosen to post a picture - presumably of me - legal, yes. Ethical, rather questionable.

I have chosen to post a meaningless string of number having no relationship to you whatsoever. Had I posted your ip address that would have been an invasion of privacy. I did not do so. I would not do so. I shall never do so. I have no interest in doing so.
    Is that clear enough for you.
    Now back the fuck off before I get annoyed with your infantile behaviour.

16. Mephura Applesauce, bitch... Valued Senior Member

As far as any topic that can be discussed with a somewhat objective viewpoint, I would agree.

The only thing I will say is that it is always good to question convention, even if questioning it only shows you why it is correct. However disagreeing with something simply because it is convention or isn't, is dangerous.

All too familiar with them.

We are in agreement so far.

Akin to some extremists. Would you say he's perhaps a hybrid?

I see where you are going, and I will get back to this in a moment.

True enough.

Again, reminds me of the extremests. They can be tricky at times. What seems to differentiate him is that he isn't about a cause.

I can see why you might feel that his posts are a problem. I would agree with you your belief that sciforums serves, at least in part, to educate. However, that is exactly why I would disagree with Vert's handling of the situation. Valich post his material. If it not valid, then it should be refuted with evidence and reason, not petty name calling and flames. Failure to refute the argument presented does nothing to stop the "spread". It only shows that someone has a problem with Valich.

All in all, people make up their own minds. If someone is using Valich's posts as a information source for homework or whatever, then there is some justice in the situation. If they are genuinely interested in the topic, then they will do more research and see for themself the errors in his information.

Science isn't about being spoonfed the answers. A large part of it is having the desire and ability to question what is before you and think deeply enough to see the errors in what others may present. A constructive solution would be to present the facts in a clear and concise way so that others won't be fooled.

We've got plenty of nutters here that go about spreading their therories. We don't "chase" them about. We demonstrate why they are wrong. If others have an interest in what the nutter is saying, we can't force them to abandon it.

When we allow ourselves to fall to that level, we fall to the level of the extremist.

17. Gustav Banned Banned

too late.
    i rather this play out. let the dice fall and roll/may the best man win/blah

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. Gustav Banned Banned

besides
    this is a first
    lets establish a precedent for cases like this
    you game?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Thank you Mephura for your reasoned response. I find myself thinking"I agree, but.."
    The 'but' is the technique used by vallich throughout our attempts to 'educate him'. He basically denied the validity of any point that was raised, or worse, ignored it completely, posting a cornucopia of interesting, yet irrelevant, posts; apparently to deflect the discussion.
    I certainly was unable to contain my frustration on more than one occasion. In fact I abandoned the forum for a couple of weeks to avoid confrontation with his stubborness.
    I saw invert posts in those threads in the same light. At times they could have been phrased more diplomatically, but after vallich's intransigence, that was a challenge too far.

20. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Take a hike. I don't deal with liars, plagiarists and arrogant effetes.
    Previous threads had suggested you were just a slightly mixed up kid, too full of themselves. It is clear to me now that you are rather an unpleasant sort. I'm not sure what particular pyschosis you are suffering from, but I'm sure it has an appropriate name.
    For the record, my reference to liars etc was a reference to you. Try not to cross my path again. I don't always notice worms in my way.

Any further posts from yourself, in a similar vein will be reported as harassment. You have clearly been playing this game for a while. If you want to continue to do so then do not piss me off anymore than you already have.

21. Gustav Banned Banned

hmm
    a delusion
    you crossed mine
    try to follow the thread

tough guy ophiolite mouths off....
    obviously thinks he is in some schoolyard way back in the day

/cackle

22. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Not at all tough: I'm as kind and gentle a person as you could meet in a day's march of interior decorators. But since you don't respond at all too logic, I speculated you might delight in some harsh words.
    Let me try something else.
    What exactly?
    Reasoned argument wont work. you can't reason.
    Presenting facts wont do. You will distort them.
    Applying metaphor will be pointless. You will mistake it for reality.
    Ah! I have it.
    You finally made my ignore list. Only vallich has previously done that. Well done, and goodnight.

23. Gustav Banned Banned

for the record

mod

examine the ip associated with this post.
    compare with the above
    verify that the difference is a single digit.
    what are the odds that it is indeed an alleged random number
    consider that ophiolite is a moderator over at the science forum
    consider that i too am a member

comment
    thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.