More crap coffee.....

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by fireguy_31, Apr 4, 2004.

1. fireguy_31 mors ante servitium Registered Senior Member

For those unfamiliar, moderator counslercoffee has closed several threads under the poilitcs section because, amongst other reasons, the views expressed by the thread starter are being passed off as their own work, lacking citation and posted in full-text. I don't know about you but this criteria is adhered to with just about every other post in every other section of this forum. I've read radical feminist BS posted by gendaken , disgusting flame wars precipitated by xev and not to mention the, as far as i'm concerned, misrepresentation of collective thought posted on every other section without any links supporting their assertions.

Why is it that political posts without any supporting links are closed when so many other threads and posts lacking the same are left open?

I hope this threads heading Free Thoughts are exactly that and open to FREE discussion without unilateral suppression.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Perhaps the moderators enjoy Xev and gendaken and let them "stir the pot" with their babble.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Ahhh.. it all comes back to Plato: who watches the watchers?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Or perhaps Xev and Gendaken posted links to the original authors work? Or perhaps they didn't post the entire article? Or they maybe they didn't try to pass it as their own work? Or maybe they weren't cross-posting multiple threads? Ever hear of plagiarism?

Facts:
    1. Whirlwind has posted no links to the original work.
    2. Whirlwind has posted full articles and has attempted to pass it as his or hers own.
    3. Whirlwind has posted the same thread three times.

If you, or Whirlwind, care so much about the topic then open your own thread, with the article link, without the full text, and without posting it multiple times.

You could have PMed me instead of starting a thread. You did PM me, but you still started a thread so that you could stir up some sort of rebellion against the evil imperial mods. All of this could have been answered had you looked at the threads, read my responses, and understood the nature of policy.

8. fireguy_31 mors ante servitium Registered Senior Member

What? I'm confused...

9. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

You, fireguy_31, could of found the answer to all your questions by not posting two threads in two different forums, by PMing me. Instead you started two threads, and then PMed me.

10. fireguy_31 mors ante servitium Registered Senior Member

Now I'm really confused...

I asked a legitimate question, please respond.

11. fireguy_31 mors ante servitium Registered Senior Member

glaucon

good stuff!!

12. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

Plato didn't say that.

13. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

"Quis cusotdiet ipsos custodes," Juvenal?

14. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

Show the man his prize.

15. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Yes, you did. But apparently you didn't read my first post in this thread. I’ll make it easy on you and bold the important parts:

Also of note, the other thread that you created, in World Events, was closed because it was off-topic and contained a full quote of Whirlwinds thread.

16. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

On this thread by Whirlwind, he posted the name of the article and the author.

"This Empire Shall Not Stand
    Empire of the Locusts
    By: JEFFREY ST. CLAIR"​

Whirlwind states before pasting the essay, "This essay was originally published as the introduction to Kurt Nimmo's great new book, Another Day in the Empire."

And maybe the reason why you (Coffee) couldn't find the article on-line was because it was from a hard copy of an actual book which somebody didn't transcribe onto the Internet yet.

Yet, something Whirlwind should've done was write a critique, criticize, or just say something about the essay. I think locking the thread was justified because that particular thread was equivalent to posting a link to an online news article and nothing more. A lot of people come to SciForums and try to "enlighten" the community by showing us the path that leads us out of our political and worldly ignorance...sadly all they do is post articles with no reason for us to read them, no discussion at hand.

17. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

There are two aspects to plagiarism and why it shouldn't be tolerated.

1: Is the true author of a piece will want the recognition for that piece
    2: If you plagiarise an authors work, you are more than likely to end up with some form of litigation.

Now the first is understood clearly, but plagiarists tend to not read into the second greatly, and they should. Afterall it's not so much the author that would cast a legislative blow to a plagiarist but an entire publicist firm thats profits could be marginally decreased through people not sourcing correctly.

There is also a third aspect, If you are truly wanting to enlighten someones understanding based upon the beliefs from things you've read, then obviously sourcing the original author will allow people to read some of there other works which are more than likely to try and put fowards the viewpoint you want people to see.

"Plagiarism is the Sincerest form of Flattery", Too many Plagiarists to mention

18. Rick Valued Senior Member

In my Earlier Post i never Wrote the Disclamers,but recently i have developed the practise of writing them, and others should follow the suit too.

bye!