Mormons are a CULT!

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by pumpkinsaren'torange, Sep 21, 2002.

1. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

my belief is that Mormonism is nothing but a big, gigantic cult. that's MY opinion....please feel free to express yours here... btw.....here are the top ten reasons NOT to join the Moron Church...please heed these....

The Top Ten Reasons "NOT" to Join the Mormon Church.
    10. Performing Blood Atonement ruins a good suit of clothes.
    9. By the time you become prophet, you're too old to enjoy it.
    8. Temple worker wants to "bless" the fruit of my loins.
    7. After you become a God, you only get Sundays off.
    6. Boyd K. Packer is going to be the next prophet. (Yuck!)
    5. Polygamy: Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't.
    4. Wife doesn't want to spend eternity with me.
    3. If you've heard one testimony, you've heard them all.
    2. Book of Mormon: Boring

And the #1 reason NOT to join the Mormon Church:

1. DON'T WANT TO GO TO HELL!!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

ex-momon's true stories about leaving the church

ok. on a more serious note, here is a site the documents hundreds of people's exodus from the Mormon church. check it out.
    pretty interesting reading...

http://www.exmormon.org/stories.htm

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

Mormon's prejudice

ok. one more...then i'll give it a rest (for awhile, anyways

)

did you know that Mormons are very, very, VERY prejudiced??? read on....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mormonism and the Negro

According to Mormon history and authoritative Mormon teachers, the Negro, as they were referred to, are a cursed race because they were not faithful to God in their first estate (the pre-existent life with God). Hence, when they are born they are born in black skinned families.
    The early Mormon church was highly prejudicial against black people. And though there has been a change in attitude to blacks as of June 9, 1978 when they were finally allowed into the Mormon priesthood, it cannot be denied that Mormonism was, up until very recently, a segregated church.
    Please consider the following small sample of official Mormon writings as proof of their prejudice, their inconsistency, their doctrinal waffling, their yielding to political pressure, and their failure to truly represent Christ on earth.

"At the time the devil was cast out of heaven, there were some spirits that did not know who had authority, whether God or the devil. They consequently did not take a very active part on either side, but rather thought the devil had been abused, and considered he had rather the best claim to the government. These spirits were not considered bad enough to be cast down to hell, and never have bodies; neither were they considered worthy of an honorable body on this earth." A speech by Elder Orson Hyde, delivered before the High Priests' Quorum,, in Nauvoo, April 27th, 1845, printed in Liverpool, page 30.
    "The very fact that God would allow those spirits who were less worthy in the spirit world to partake of a mortal body at all is further evidence of his mercy." Mormonism and the Negro, part I, pages 48-50.
    "It is the Mormon belief that in our pre-mortal state there were a large number of individuals who, due to some act or behavior of their own in the pre-existence, forfeited the right to hold the Priesthood during their mortal lives...the Negro is thus denied the Priesthood because of his own behavior in the pre-existence." The Church and the Negro, pages 42-43.
    "As a result of his rebellion, Cain was cursed and told that "the earth" would not thereafter yield him its abundance as previously. In addition he became the first mortal to be cursed as a son of perdition...The Lord placed on Cain a mark of a dark skin, and he became the ancestor of the black race. (Moses 5; Gen. 4; Teachings, p. 169)." Mormon Doctrine by Bruce McConkie, page 109.
    "Shall I tell you the law of God in regard to the African race? If the white man who belongs to the chosen seed mixes his blood with the seed of Cain, the penalty, under the law of God, is death on the spot. This will always be so." Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, Vol. 10, page 110.
    The reader should be reminded that Brigham Young, the second prophet of the Mormon church said that whatever he preached was as good as scripture -- J. D. Vol. 13, page 95, 264.
    "...the church went to court on several occasions to block Negroes from moving into the San Francisco neighborhood in which the headquarters was located." The Christian Century, Sept. 29, 1965, page 1184.
    On Oct. 28, 1865, the Mormon Church paper Millennial Star printed an article which stated that "Mormonism is that kind of religion the entire divinity of which is invalidated, and its truth utterly rejected, the moment that any one of its leading principles I acknowledged to be false..."
    The Mormon write John J. Stewart stated: "If we as members of the Church are going to pick and choose among the Prophet's teachings, and say ‘this one is of God, we can accept it, but this one is of man, we will reject that,' then we are undermining the whole structure of our faith..." Mormonism and the Negro, page 19.
    "The prophets have declared that there are at least two major stipulations that have to be met before the Negroes will be allowed to possess the Priesthood. The first requirement relates to time. The Negroes will not be allowed to hold the Priesthood during mortality, in fact, not until after the resurrection of all of Adam's children. The other stipulation requires that Abel's seed receive the first opportunity of having the priesthood....the last of Adam's children will not be resurrected until the end of the millennium. Therefore, the Negroes will not receive the Priesthood until after that time... this will not happen until after the thousand years of Christ's reign on earth." The Church and the Negro, 1967, pages 45-48.
    Albert B. Fritz, NAACP branch president, said at a civil rights meeting Friday night that his organization promised not to picket the 133rd Semi-Annual General Conference of the Church on Temple Square. He added, however, that the NAACP will picket Temple Square, next Saturday if the Church does not present an ‘acceptable' statement on civil rights before that day." Deseret News, Oct. 5, 1963.
    "Some 3,000 students, led by the BSU, paraded peacefully on the school's campus in Seattle Monday over the issue of alleged racism at BYU." Deseret News, March 10, 1970.
    "The demonstration was the latest in a series of protests against The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon) because the church bars Negroes from its priesthood." Deseret News, Jan. 10, 1970.
    In June of 1978 the Mormon church officiated a ‘revelation' stating that blacks could then hold the priesthood.

The Bible says that God is not a respecter of persons, but the Mormon church is: First in its prejudice of the blacks for being black, and second in its succumbing to political and social pressure to change its doctrinal views. Is such a church really from God?

I am greatly indebted to the book Mormonism Shadow or Reality by Jerald and Sandra Tanner for the sources cited above.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to the Mormon Page

CHRISTIAN APOLOGETICS AND RESEARCH MINISTRY
    Home | Contact | Newsletter | Publications | Donations
    © Matthew J. Slick, 2002

8. GB-GIL Trans-global Senator Evilcheese, D-Iraq Registered Senior Member

Dude, quit picking on mormonism.

You're being an uncool bastard. Sorry...

9. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

Question?

Doesnt the Mormons believe that God came back a second time already and showed himself to a pirate and now they're waiting for the third return of God? Or is that Jehova Witnesses?

10. GB-GIL Trans-global Senator Evilcheese, D-Iraq Registered Senior Member

No, Star, that's the Catholic 7th Day Jehovah's Mormons, they also believe everybody goes to hell unless they drink the kohol at least once in their life... meh...

11. Ekimklaw Believer in God Registered Senior Member

Haha

==============================================
    GB-Gil-Trans-whatever wrote:
    ...the Catholic 7th Day Jehovah's Mormons...
    ==============================================

LOL!!!

That is funny!!! LOL!

12. Malachi Registered Senior Member

wheels within wheels, my friend. wheels within wheels.

13. ubermich amnesiac . . . Registered Senior Member

its not as if what pumpkin's saying isnt supported w/ evidence. actually, i really enjoy listening to scathing diatribes that can't be argued w/

hmm, and now i have another reason to dislike mormons. they're racist. of course, i really dont care if the church was segregated up until 1978. personally, i can't see why blacks would bother trying to find equality in a shithole. civil rights should help you better your living conditions, not help you fight for your right to a piece of shit cult.

14. Mormons aren't bigoted or prejudiced towards anyone. I know, because I was raised in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (informally known as "the Mormon church"), and although I am no longer an active member, I never saw or was taught any discriminatory doctrine regarding blacks or anyone else in church.

Here is a site you might want to read carefully if you want the lowdown on what Mormons REALLY believe about blacks:

http://www.jefflindsay.com/LDSFAQ/FQRace.shtml

Racism has always been condemned by the Church and has never been justified, even if some of the Church leaders erroneously assumed that it was. Joseph Smith, founder of the Church, taught against slavery and advocated equal rights to all men. The Book of Mormon, a Mormon scriptural book, says this about Christ (to paraphrase): He invites all men, bond and free, black and white, male and female, to come to him and partake of his goodness. Does this sound like an exclusionary policy?

Read the link for an extensive refutation to the idea that Mormons are racist, or that Mormons believe that blacks are inferior in any way (they're NOT--anyone who says Mormons believe this is mistaken).

Of course, anti-Mormon web sites love to take Church leaders' statements in the past and distort them to suit their own agendas against the Mormon Church. These sites make the mistake of assuming that Mormon leaders are believed to be infallible--to the contrary, they aren't. They have their own opinions, grow up with perhaps their own cultural misconceptions, and are only prophets when acting as such. Otherwise they are fallible men just like the rest of us.

Joseph Smith was defending the black race and advocating abolition of slavery when the rest of the Western world was denying that blacks even had souls, for goodness sake. If leaders of the Church have, in the past, assumed erroneous things about blacks due to their cultural upbringings, rest assured that their compatriots in other churches expressed similar opinions and prejudices. I wonder why those compatriots are not mentioned on the CARM web site? Hmm...could it be that CARM is BIASED and is trying to make the Church look bad? Check out the link I've provided and decide for yourself.

15. Xev Registered Senior Member

16. Some statements by LDS ("Mormon") leaders and authorities:

[From http://www.lightplanet.com/mormons/response/qa/blacks_prejudice.htm ]

17. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

coolness

first of all... you don't need to apologize to me for stating your opinion....that's what's cool about being a free, human-being....we can all actually HAVE opinions opposite of what others agree with. pretty cool concept, huh? and, another thing....in order for me to be "being uncool"....that means i would have had to at one point in time time been "cool" (in order to be uncool..follow the logic?

) ....and, i have never, ever, ever, ever, tried to be, stated to be or purported to be cool. the end.

18. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

biggotry

btw...one of my real beefs with the Moron...er, i mean Mormon church is their biggotry...go ahead...look it up...see how many black bishops they have ordained....see how many blacks are in their congregations...hmmm. go look at the printed word by founder Joseph Smith himself....he called blacks evil and heathens, basically. if you want i will find his exact words and quote them here. no problem. now...just one question ...how christian is THAT??

19. Malachi Registered Senior Member

bigamy = ok
    bigotry = not ok

20. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

er....i'm not even sure if i agree with that....i don't think bigomy is ok, either. :bugeye:

21. pragmathen 0001 1111 Registered Senior Member

According to this <a href="http://www.africana.com/DailyArticles/index_20010219.htm">site</a>, the LDS church spends most of its proselytizing time in Africa as opposed to converting African-Americans here in the USA.

Most of the disgruntlement from blacks and whites would be regarding the 1978 change of doctrine concerning whether blacks could hold the priesthood. From the church's point of view (and its accepting members), the doctrinal modification allowed their brothers of color to partake in a priesthood that was originally reserved for non-blacks. But, just the very fact that the Lord had to actually change his mind with regards to blacks and the priesthood sent quite the message through his flock.

Generally, there was no racism or bigotry taught outright in the church; topics such as reasons why blacks could not have the priesthood prior to 1978 were glossed over in the same vein that anything having to do with current doctrine on polygamy is shoved to the backburner.

And, <b>Lamplighter</b> (welcome), people take issue with what a prophet says because of his calling. He cannot be expected to put away the cloth and make a disparaging comment and then make some other comment and decide when he was speaking for the lord. Thus, people will have problems with much of what some of the early prophets said.

Since the LDS church is largely concerned with mainstreaming its image to other Christians (which involved a heck of a lot of insider-doctrinal changes not revealed to the greater portion of its members), it will be very rare for the Church to be embroiled in another situation like the 1978 issue with blacks and the priesthood.

Rewriting history does have its advantages, apparently. And, quotes being taken out of context? I suggest you read the <i>History of the Church</i> (a Church-sponsored publication) as opposed to the Gerald N Lund series <i>Work and the Glory</i> to get a non-diluted version of context.

Thanks!

prag

22. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

Pragmathen

who are you? i notice you don't have a member thingy under your username, however, you do have a set of numers? what's up with that? i don't know all the protocol on this board..so, does that make you an admin. or...just what the heck?? i am curious. btw....you forgot to comment on the fact that the founding father himself, J. Smith, hated blacks and thought they were a blemish in the human race. would you like to see his exact words? my point is this: the founder of that religion was biggoted, prejudiced and full of hate. now, how's THAT for a founding father?? what a foundation to build a church upon, eh?

23. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

HERE:

Under Brigham Young, the church's second president, BLACKS WERE denied the Mormon priesthood and could not participate in sacred temple ceremonies. Although there is no specific reference in Mormon scripture as to why, Young and other Mormon officials -- along with many other church leaders at the time -- publicly theorized it had to do with the biblical curse of Cain, Adam and Eve's son, who murdered his brother Abel.
    Mormon theology includes another reason: Blacks on Earth were cursed with a dark skin for having failed in a heavenly pre-existence to fight with God in a battle with the devil.

and, no, btw...if anyone is wondering, i am not black. i am white. i just can't tolerate the Mormon church's bigotry, hypocrisy, blindness and ignorance.