Mormons are a CULT!

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by pumpkinsaren'torange, Sep 21, 2002.

1. Hey, get up you lazy bum, times a wasting

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

ohmigosh!!! *witnesses the resurrection of thread* nnnnoooooooo. *runs*

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Yep, Chromatose couldn't stay away too long, see string of posts on previous page

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Funny, how for a religion that says that they were founded here in the Western Hemisphere, whose various members say or have said, "that Mayans or other Mexicans are the remnants of some ancient 'Reformed Egyptian'-speaking Jewish civilization that wrote the Book of Mormon"; says they are the one & only true church, has no proof of any of their claims, & that when you google the keywords " "BYU archeology" mexico ", that the only two sites that Google finds are this Sciforums thread & the one below, says to me, that BYU isn't doing their job & that they can not prove the BoM true, so they stay out of any "claims", except through their flunkies, & 'front men':

If this story were true, there would have been MAJOR news & academia activities.

Stop & think, what would be the result of someone finding a real dinosaur, ala "Jurassic park", tell us, would there be a similar commotion if a verifiable ancient Egyptian or Jewish civilization could be tied to the Western Hemisphere?

8. Chromatose Hyperactive Catatonic Registered Senior Member

Probably bogus, but the LDS church is still the right one.

Can't prove it? Well first, you're going to have to prove the existence of God anyway.

The LDS church is no more a cult than any religion.

The current leaders just marked their 10th year and noted that the church has given $640,000,000 in humanitarian aid during that time, no matter what the disaster or country. LDS church members are friendly, generous people for the most part, so whether you believe in the religion or not, it's a waste of time to single them out for picking on. Such activity is part of the prophesies.

The evidence of the truth of the LDS church is a matter of perspective. There are a good 11,000,000 of them (us) who are quite certain because the Holy Ghost has made it clear and many have experienced too many personal spiritual happenings to deny it.

Lastly, why are you replying to a thread that's been dead since January 2003?
    I'd completely forgotten this place.

9. because I found this, while google-ing " "BYU archeology" mexico ":

10. if numbers alone are the tellers of truth;
    there are 1.2 billion muslims, 1.6 billion Christians, 1.1 billion hindus

11. battig1370 Registered Senior Member

CULT: > ritualistic religious system

I have noticed that those who belong to a CULT accuse others outside their own CULT of belonging to a CULT. One ritualistic religious system pointing their finger at another ritualistic religious system saying their a CULT. One ritualistic religious system
    saying that the others are of the Devil. A NEVER ENDING WAR!

Peace be with you, Paul

12. mormonchik Registered Member

Excuse Me Pumpkin! Nobody wants you writing about something you know nothing about!

13. huh? censorship? just rebutt her, if you have anything to say

& welcome to SciForums

14. Nehushta Registered Senior Member

I'm just curious, are all Christian groups (e.g., Mormons, Catholics, Jehovah's Witnesses, etc.) included in the 1.6 billion?

15. no, because they are not christian; they believe in things that lead people along the wide path that leads to destruction; I would dare guess that maybe 99% of all mormons don't know Jesus enough to go to heaven; maybe 90% of catholics don't & 100% of JW's don't.

You can be a catholic & not a christian
    & you can be both a catholic & a christian,
    & you can be a protestant & not a christian
    & you can be both a protestant & a christian
    & you can be a christian & not a Christian

because you must be born-again to be saved, read John 3: 1 to 21, the lecture to Nicodemus

16. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

I agree that the Mormon Churches involvement in archaeology is, to a large extent, academically flawed, but there are some archaeologists of high caliber that are smart enough to take advantage of their funding to do the research they want to do. I know of at least one!

But I must point out that you might increase your Google hits if you spell it "archaeology" instead of "archeology."

Lastly, anthropologically speaking, any cult/religion that believes that Jesus Christ was the son of some god is a christian cult, be they mormon, catholic, protestant, or Heaven's Gate. I'll agree, however, that there is Christian behavior, but there is also Christian doctrine, and that's the defining characteristic. Members of some cults/sects may want the behavior to be the defining characteristic, but in the end, it's simply whether or not they believe that J.C. was a real figure or not.

17. Gravity Deus Ex Machina Registered Senior Member

The only difference between a ''cult'' and a religion is the number of believers.

18. Marlin Registered Senior Member

And what, pray tell, do you have to know about Jesus to go to heaven, that the Mormons don't know?

19. Chromatose Hyperactive Catatonic Registered Senior Member

That's complete nonsense. In no way is it the job of the BYU to prove LDS theology. If you've paid attention to much of the archeological and DNA research being done around the world, you've seen that the BYU is right at the forefront. They let the science lead where it may.

However, LDS people are mostly aware of the scripture that says essentially that compared to God, man's knowledge is like a grain of sand on a beach.

Too many scientists (and atheists) have a couple of major misconceptions about it:

1 - That it is the only way of obtaining truth and knowledge.

2 - That it's methods can apply to everything. (hence they try to do foolish things like apply their logic to God's actions)

If God is essentially omniscient and omnipotent, the universe we, as mortals, perceive can have been arranged for us to perceive as he desires. Or, most likely we're currently in possession of such a tiny amount of the whole of knowledge, that almost all is still beyond the scope we can understand.

In the context of LDS doctrine of mortal life being something of a test, if everything in the Bible and Book of Mormon were provable, faith would be obsolete and the test would have no purpose.

20. Gravity Deus Ex Machina Registered Senior Member

Santa, Fairies, Witches, Demons, Jesus, Thor . . . yawn. BeLIEve whatever TF you want to. Just keep it out of laws that effect me, wars that could kill my children, my tax dollars and etc.

21. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

1 - That it is the only way of obtaining truth and knowledge.

What other way is there (assuming you are referring to 'science.' Your statement was ambiguous)?

Scientific method can apply to everything. It is just that humanity's natural affliction of magical thinking attempts to override the logical, critical thinking choice. But with regard to "god's actions," I'd have to ask which god? and why would science wish to apply logic to magical thinking?

22. Chromatose Hyperactive Catatonic Registered Senior Member

I said nothing about numbers being the lone teller of truth. I'll thank you to debate what i say, not what you infer from what i say.

In fact the numbers in a religion are insignificant alone. Large groups are swelled by procreation; raising kids within a faith. Also, many people choose a religion a bit like they choose a car. Look at this new surge in this Kabbalah silliness. It's a complete distortion of the original material but it makes great waves among the those with a lot of money to blow, looking for a no-hassle religion, like celebrities.

Forget religions for a moment, how many people do you think you could find on the planet that would sincerely swear they are certain God exists, as opposed to just believing, or thinking he might.

It would be far too many to be explained away as just self delusion, or mental instability, brain washing, or whatever.

23. Chromatose Hyperactive Catatonic Registered Senior Member

I agree that a religion as the holder of govt. power is a recipe for disaster. However, i think it almost equally bad that those making up a govt. think they're the ultimate power; i.e. no God, because they're likely to think there's no real consequence to their actions beyond the imediate, and seek less diligently for answers the benefit all.