most innovative artists of the last decade

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Unregistered, Aug 24, 2003.

1. Unregistered The Original Conservative Registered Senior Member

Since 1990 (okay, so its not the last decade) the digitalization of media into the mainstream has made it possible for music, art, and the consumer lifestyle to be beamed to your cellphone, your computer, your personal computer, your television set, your automobile, your watch...

This spike in the growth of technology has brought awareness of different styles of music and art to be more widely known and acclaimed.

who do you think is the most influential artist/band/musician since 1990?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. exsto_human Transitional Registered Senior Member

Do you mean bands that started after 1990 or do you mean bands that were active after 1990?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. theonlyguyever omg met's lake out!!1 Registered Senior Member

Nirvana.

their influence on everything rock/alt in music over the 90's is incredible and unmatched.. after Nirvana, no one quite knew what to do next!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sweet Pentax Registered Senior Member

uncle sam ....

8. Unregistered The Original Conservative Registered Senior Member

Bands that were formed post 1990.

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

10. YoungWriter Audiophile Registered Senior Member

Just because someone is inlfuential doesn't mean they're innovative.

11. Xev Registered Senior Member

Master. (Although Speckmann over-states his significance)
    Sadist.
    Athiest.

12. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Matt Groening...who hasn't heard of "The Simpsons"....

13. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

14. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Unregistered:
    I will invariably get shot for saying what I am about to say, but considering that I'm a sucker for fresh air, creativity, childish fun, and colorful avante guard.......... I would have to say:

Missy Elliot.

(edit: barring other genres where pioneering has been just as creative- Tool, Nirvana and Reznor for one)

15. Xev Registered Senior Member

How is Tool innovative?

16. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Xev:
    Not as much innovative as it is borrowed sound infused with creativity.

Then again, music is not my forte trust me but there's something I strangely dig in bands that sound like waling banshees , if you follow (Perfect Circle being another)

17. static76 The Man, The Myth, The Legend Registered Senior Member

*Pulls out his shotgun*

Missy Elliot???? She has no talent, she can't rap, she can't sing, she can't dance(it looks like she's having a seizure), and to top it all off she's ugly and distracting to look at.

18. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Static:
    Now, now, fret not pilgrim. Keep your panties on. I only brought her up because I distinctly remember being captured by the art of her very first video. It was like the striking nonsense of Magritte's juxtapositions.

You wouldn't begrudge her the art in her vidoes would you? Even if her ass is "too big" she was a first.

Her music sucks. She's hellatious fat and quite frankly a sore for sore eyes but dangit her videos were cool.

Yes, I should be.

19. Unregistered The Original Conservative Registered Senior Member

I would tempted to say Weezer, but they are just a rehash of the Beatles for the new generation.

I would like to say Nirvana because they started a revolution...but if Kurt Cobain wasn't dead...they would be much less 'influential' in the worlds eyes

I would be tempted to say S.T.U.N. but I dont agree with the flagrant ignorance their lyrics..even though they look and act like a rock band, and on many levels, are extraordinarly intelligent (love and chaos theories, rights of existence)

I might say Radiohead...but I didnt.

The Horizontals would be an excellent choice...but they haven't perfected they're formula yet.

that narrows it down to like..nothing. Except..

The White Stripes, hands down.

20. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

The Spice Girls.

21. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

A random aborigine shaman with a didgeridoo.

22. Xev Registered Senior Member

How are the White Stripes innovative? Sounds like standard pop to me.

23. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Jesus Christ - what is so difficult about the word "innovative".

Nirvana - For starters, they were formed before 1990. Secondly, they weren't innovative at all. They were massively influential, but their music was standard grunge - standard chords, standard progression, standard music.

Matt Groening - Simpsons started in the eighties. Groening was cartooning long before 1990.

Tool - See what Xev said.

Missy Elliot - Oh come on. Innovative? If you're impressed by a video - at least give the credit to the director!!!

White Stripes - Their music is just basic rock chords with basic rock riffs and basic rock solos. The first time I heard the song I picked up my guitar and could play the whole thing from ear.

Xev, I really am not big enough into it to comment on the metal choices, but as far as innovation goes in the last 10 years I believe metal has been relatively dry outside of true Norweigan death.

As for my choice? I can't narrow it down.

1) Quentin Tarantino. Made his own distinct type of violence pop, and mainstream. Made his own type of dialogue mainstream. Made his own type of directing mainstream. On top of that, he's gotta be the first and only scriptwriter capable of putting the word "motherfucker" twice in succession in a sentance and have it both make sense and sound cool.

2) Medeski Martin and Wood. Take The Meters, mix in Jimmy Hendrix, and add a touch of Oscar Peterson and Duke Ellington and you have the single most revolutionary band in music. Originally called "acid jazz", MMW got to the point one day where reviewers stopped trying to classify them and just called it "groove". This would fit perfectly, if not for the fact that some MMW songs have seemingly no beat, go off on wild and wierd solos, and abandon all logical structure.

3) Trey Anastasio. Fuck you I'm putting him here! Phish may have been formed in the eighties, but Anastasio's solo stuff and his joining with other bands has been all since 1990. And while I loooove Phish - his stuff with others is much more innovative. How the fuck do you turn a 10-piece big band into a rock group? How the fuck is one man the guitarist for both acid-groove-jazz band Galactic and Kid Rock? How the fuck does any human being cover every genre of music on one instrument - and all the while have a stupid grin on his hairy face?