Moving out on my own

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Master Jordan, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Master Jordan Registered Senior Member

Oh hi there Sciforum community,

I am a recent high school graduate (a year early I might add), and I am in University.

I really want to move out on my own. I am ready for the responsibility, but not the finances.

The input i'm looking for is,

what should I know before moving out on my own, and how much money will I need to have/need to make to stay alive? I live in Canada, work at Staples part-time, and have enough money saved up to get me through University for the first few years.

I am a motivated little boy, and am extremely dedicated to moving out. Any suggestions?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Boogiepop Registered Member

Don't trust humans and wireless devices.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

From my espereince... dont leave you'r boots in plane site or a room mate mite squirt 'em full of lime after shave an if you'r runnin late for work an dont have time to clean 'em out you'r feet will be all pruney after 9 houres an the smell of lime will near make you sick for about a year.!!!

</jus sayin>

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. jessiej920 Shake them dice and roll 'em Valued Senior Member

My advice is to face the reality of the situation:

Going to a University full time, working part-time, doing homework, and trying to have a life of some kind inbetween all that is not impossible, but it's extremely hard. There is just no way to afford a decent place by yourself while working and going to school. Believe me, I have been there.

If you are extremely motivated to get out on your own, for one, you are going to need a roommate, maybe even two. Look at the message boards for your University and see who is advertising for roommates that you think you can get along and live with.

Start there, see how well you handle your money, start a budget, see if you can do it with roommate first, and then think about getting out by your lonesome.

8. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Do what I did... pay in full to live in the dorms for a year. I did that my freshman year. All I had to worry about was feeding myself and making it to class... despite the hangovers.

9. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Literally, seriously, no kidding:

About 150% of your best estimated budget, after all input from your mentors and six revisions of your spreadsheets!

For real dude! :m:

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

never say that you are a little boy

11. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

Since you're at University, just live on campus if you can. The dorms, or an apartment, or whatever. It will be easier, and possibly cheaper than renting your own place. This will give you a good idea of what it takes to live on your own. You can buy your own food, do your laundry, and take care of yourself. That will give you the "responsibility" aspect of living on your own.

If you're worried about money, it's definitely worthwhile to move in with roommates somewhere, so you can split the rent. It's also a good way to expand your circle of friends, and have fun while in college.

That's extremely true. I have worked part-time all through my college career. I put in less than 20 hours a week, because classes and homework take up almost as much time as a full-time job.

Those 20 hours a week, at minimum wage, couldn't have paid for an apartment, utilities, food, transportation, and emergency expenses. If I didn't have financial aid and loans to help pay for my on-campus apartment, there's no way it would have happened. If you are trying to put in enough hours to pay for all of that, you won't have any fun whatsoever. Maybe that's not important to you, but keep in mind, you will be living in a very cheap apartment, eating ramen and beans every day, and not having any free time to relax.

My advice is to just take it easy for now, and move out gradually, like most college students. By the time you graduate or land a better-paying job, you will have a pretty good idea of what it costs to live on your own.

13. John99 Banned Banned

personally i would live at home for as long as i can...or a dorm. i myself moved out at 19, way too young for me.

14. vslayer Registered Senior Member

get a flatmate to help keep the house tidy. even if they don't really pull their weight with the work, having another person living there will motivate you to do so. it's easy to live in your own filth, but when it's someone elses filth you tend to feel a lot more urgency with cleaning up.

also, i agree with the budget +150%. there are a hell of a lot of costs you don't tend to notice to until you have to pay them yourself. i found that about $250/week(plus whatever you pay for rent) would suffice to pay the bills and buy me a tank of gas a fortnight, but you really have to scrimp at the grocery store. if you want to eat anything other than pasta then you need to throw another $50/week on there.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009