Mrsa

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by mrow, Aug 3, 2008.

1. mrow Unless Registered Senior Member

Does anyone know anything about MRSA infections? My dad was just diagnosed and I can't be with him right now so I'm a bit nervous. How serious is this? I read an article that said it kills more people a year than AIDS every year since 2005. Is it still this fatal or is there a cure? Anyone know? I tried searching for awhile but I couldn't find enough to reassure me.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

morow it depends on a lot of factors. The age of the pt, the strain of infection, the type of infection (is it local to the skin or is it sistemic through the whole body) the general level of health of the pt

The reason it kills so many is because it effects the elderly and the imunocompromised so often.

As for a cure there are some heavy duty antibotic which have been shown to still work but hospitals dont like to use them incase MRSA becomes resistant to those as well

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. mrow Unless Registered Senior Member

He's in his fifties. It's in a pretty deep open wound.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i cant give you any garentiees but he SHOULD be ok if he is that young

8. mrow Unless Registered Senior Member

Thanks Asguard.

9. mrow Unless Registered Senior Member

I just have rarely even heard of this before. Anyone know more about it?

10. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I have never heard of this? what is it exactly?

11. mrow Unless Registered Senior Member

It's a certain type of Strep bacteria. It's like a very severe Staph infection that's sort of like flesh eating bacteria and is extremely resistant to antiobiotics including penicillin. That's about all I know. I found most of the little I know on WebMD.

12. Roman Banned Banned

The wiki is your friend

tl;dr
    Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus is a bacterium. They're resistant to a wide spectrum of antibiotics, so are difficult to treat. This is bad, because S. aureus can be a flesh-eating strain, necrotizing tissue and causing all sorts of horrid stuff. Without antibiotics, doctors are stuck with amputating and removing tissue.

13. mrow Unless Registered Senior Member

Yeah, his is the flesh eating type. They scooped out what they could from the tissue in his arm. He had surgery on it today. But they're not sure what else is left or how far it's spread.

14. draqon Banned Banned

Buy him vancomycin immediately!

15. mrow Unless Registered Senior Member

That's something we can buy? Anyway, I'm nowhere near him unfortunately. The doctors will know this and use it then I hope?

16. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Oh no.....sorry Mrow, hope your Dad gets better.

I have heard of this. It was actually going around in Canada a couple yrs ago. I remember seeing it on the news.

17. mrow Unless Registered Senior Member

Thanks shorty. I hope so, too. I think it was caught pretty early (I hope). It started as a brown recluse bite (which is poisonous) which then also got infected.

18. draqon Banned Banned

call the doctor and remind him of this drug and tell him that he does research on it.

19. draqon Banned Banned

20. mrow Unless Registered Senior Member

Um, I'm not sure how to call the doctor. He's in an ER. I could call my mom though and have her pass it along. She's there with him. I will be, too, but not until Friday night. And hopefully this will all be better by then.

21. draqon Banned Banned

why not call as soon as you can, immediately. What bad will that do?

22. mrow Unless Registered Senior Member

Well my mom is not awake right now as it is 4:00am but I will call first thing in the morning.

23. mrow Unless Registered Senior Member

Although, I was told today they're bringing in someone from the CDC tomorrow to look at him. That didn't sound good to me.