Mt Rushmore Vault

Discussion in 'History' started by Orleander, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

They dug a vault into Mt Rushmore years back. Anyone know if they are still putting stuff into this "Hall of Records" for the future? Or is it just a one time deal, kinda like a time capsule?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

I googled the phrase "mount rushmore vault", and the first entry up brings us this article from the U.S. National Park Service:

Few people have heard about the Hall of Records; it wasn't mentioned in my public school when we glossed over the glory of Rushmore. In fact, I confess I was surprised to see the image in the trailer for the new National Treasure film, and thought, "Oh, for f@ck's sake, what is it this time?"

I would expect, all things considered, that the Hall will take on some greater significance among conspiracy theorists; I recall that, shortly after the "Chupacabra" episode of the X-Files, chupacabra merchandise and discussion suddenly appeared with the strange pretense that people had always been so interested in the subject. And the tracking devices in the twenty-dollar bills: when a friend swore to me the story was true because she'd heard it from a good friend who had been recruited as a child by the U.S. Army as a test-subject for the secret ESP and telekinesis research, she gave me, nearly word for word, the explanation offered in the X-Files episode when the Lone Gunmen explain the tracking-device theory; this was, of course, shortly after the episode aired that she received the story from her friends.

By the way, this topic is the fifth link available by that Google search.

A link from PBS' American Experience implies that there's not much new going on at the Hall of Records, but is perhaps more interesting for suggesting the advent of the modern coffee break and recounting a cartoonish accident with an air hose. Good stuff.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

What are they storing it all on, paper, CD"s , tape??? Why put it there and who is this person who decides what should be saved?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I have no idea. It wasn't there when I lived near there. Went back for a visit and I hear all about 'the vault.' I bet it was real popular with conspiracy theorists during Y2K.

I wonder how it gets opened for those future people.

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I'd believe that's where President Clinton had his love affairs.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!