"Multiple Universes" is redundant and misleading

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Hesperado, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Gustav Banned Banned

i dont know about the rest of us, but science does try to instruct those that insist on clinging to quaint and medieval notions

i'll quote a famed physicist......

ja
    it is that simple and straightforward

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

um..you have just stated that a New alternate universe would be created, so the timelines would not conflict,there would be the original timeline and the others that were created by traveling through time.

only in the universe/timeline that you had changed. if your goal is to make a better life for yourself, the original 'you' would not experience it, you would only be changing the timeline you are in(assume another 'you' exists here), you would have to use your Tardis to bring you back to your original departure timeline, but nothing should be affected in the original timeline, only the alternate experienced the changes (and so has the alternate 'you')

but yea..i suppose it would require such a prohibitive amount of energy to create such a new timeline/universe, that it would render time travel impotent. (at least going backwards..)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Hesperado Don't immanentize the eschaton Registered Senior Member

Apparently you have not noticed that I consider the term "universe" to be equivalent to "Everything" / "All" / "Totality".

Can there be multiple Everythings / multiple Alls / multiple Totalities?

It's linguistic nonsense. And no matter how sophisticated the science is, if it cannot be expressed in language that is not nonsense, then something is wrong Houston.

However, toward the end I conceded that if "universe" simply means One Thing out of a Totality of Things of the same category, then "multiple universes" can make sense.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

"Whether there is one or more sheep, they are still sheep."

So the plural of more than one sheep is sheep, the plural of multiple universes is?

It's hardly nonsense to use a "noun" interchangeably with the pluralization of a singular not being denoted by the noun itself but how the sentence in phrased. This is just a syntax point of language.

8. Hesperado Don't immanentize the eschaton Registered Senior Member

There is no plural form of "everything" (except, playfully and poetically, perhaps, in a George Gershwin song).