Music by our members, their families & friends

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Fraggle Rocker, May 25, 2011.

1. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I'm starting this thread for you musicians. I'll move over a couple of posts from other threads. If I've missed any, please bring them to my attention.

There's a lot of talent here, let's hear it!

Unfortunately I can't post my own band's music because I zealously guard my anonymity for business reasons. If we get a song on the radio or go on tour I'll probably have to rethink that.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bebelina Feminazi Messiah Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Eh, you're in Gavle? (Just imagine that I typed that correctly, with the "special characters") I've performed in Umea (again, just imagine...) a number of times, but mostly the southern parts--Gothenburg, Malmo, etc.

Once I was in Umea in February, and my hosts pointed out this mattress by a dumpster (amidst piles of snow, of course) and said, "That's where we'll be putting you up for the evening."

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. synthesizer-patel Sweep the leg Johnny! Valued Senior Member

here's a link to some tracks I recorded with my old band - Kick Junk (I'm on bass and harmonica) - worth a download if you want to hear the greatest Springsteen cover version you will ever hear in your life

we formed as a sort of homage to the late 70's post-punk pub rock scene in London (think Dr Feelgood, The Stranglers, Squeeze, The Blockheads, etc) and in my completely biased opinion we fucking rocked!

http://hotfile.com/dl/118784143/76e503f/Kick_Junk_-_From_Camden_Town_to_Astbury_Park.rar.html

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  8. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

I think I will hold back for right now . I am still building anticipation. There is some stuff you can find if you have a desire from when the band first got together on the internet . Very primitive compared to our sound now . My work with Mary will have to wait at least until our demo is cut. We will be ready for promotion then . Looks like a drummer that played with Bob Wire might sit in with us on the demo ? I don't know . We are trying to nail down a permanent drummer now . Not much luck yet . F--ck our first show is coming up June 12 at Caras Park for Summer Carnival Festival . WE got to get busy getting a drummer .
    I thing I got to say . F--ck I can play guitar . Shit I surprise my self and that is fucking hard to do . I told my nephew when I first got in the band that they were surprised how I played guitar and he say Isn't everybody uncle Mike . So that may all sound like bragging . When you get to finally hear Me playing you to may just say the same thing . Who knows . Could be I am just delusional. I been plucking that fucker Mom . That was a little joke for Lori7
    You all are going to love Mary's singing .

Bebe my favorite and you probaby hear it from lots of people " Fuck You "
    that is a great great song . I listened 2 times and might have to listen to more and more . That line at the end is the hook " Fuck Me " Ya Yeah I wish in my dreams . What are you using for the bass . I was telling Mary about another song that has sustain on the bass like that . Very cool . It is an emerging sound you are ahead of the times . We got one song that mimics sustain like that but is an illusion of the song and really don't have the sustain like your song and that other song that another band did .
    Dear I have to say after hearing that, you do . you have talent .

Maybe when Fraggle posts I will ? Chicken ! Bach! Bach! Bach !

9. Bebelina Feminazi Messiah Valued Senior Member

I hope they were kidding..?

I haven't been performing for many years. I sang on my dads funeral i January, but other than that, just haven't felt like it. Maybe sometime in the future, if I find some people to play with.

10. gmilam Valued Senior Member

Thumbs up! :cheers:

11. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

They were--it was like minus 15 degrees outside.

You ought git yer ass down to berg 211 in Gothenburg. It's this massive cave which was used for artillery storage during the war, and it was almost like playing at the Rheims Cathedral. Not that I've played there (the cathedral)--they haven't had a show since the infamous Nico and Tangerine Dream event in '74--but it was how I imagine that would have been like.

And for the record--Samla Mammas Manna and Trad Gras och Stenar/Parson Sound/International Harvester aside--Finnish musicians kick Swedish musicians' butts.

12. Bebelina Feminazi Messiah Valued Senior Member

Well, I'm half-finnish so I can kick my own butt then, I actually can too!

Looks like a cosy place, usually I go down to a small town near Gothenburg where I have my summerplace, but it's uncertain if I can go this summer. Yeah, tell them to book me in for a concert somewhere around July and make sure they pay well, in advance, then it's a deal.

13. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

Interesting Sweden Aye . Do you know your histoory . Can you tell me any thing about King Charles the 12th . From what I gather He would ride into battle with his Men and was of High integrity. He got a Greathouse to obtain loans from the Jewish peoples so he could fight his wars . Albrec I think was the Greathouse's first name . I can't figure out if the loans were ever payed in full or not .
    Americans are cutting edge when it comes to music . Ah Yeah right here in river city . The Jazz abounds . A new sound is emerging .

14. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

I'm just partial to the Finns 'cuz they wrote an epic song about my dog--Circle's "Parmalee"--whom Jussi described as being more wise than any person he had ever met. And I've got stuff on a Finnish label.

How much is "well"? They gave me something like four hundred U.S. dollars, decent accommodation and meals, and a plane ticket to my next destination. That's more than enough by my (virtually nonexistent) standards. Plus, they projected La Cicatrice Interieure (Nico/Philippe Garrel) onto a big screen behind me.

15. Bebelina Feminazi Messiah Valued Senior Member

Hehe, nothing more fun than to torture your audience.

400$ ? Hmm, I think that's too little..doesn't even cover my rent.

16. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Yeah, I guess Scandinavian countries are kinda pricey. By American standards--rather, by lumpenproletarian American standards--400 plus amenities and transport ain't bad for 45 minutes to an hour of wankering about on a stage. Of course, there's also the decades of study and the four hours daily I spend practicing scales and cadences (just kidding).

American venues typically pay shit, unless you're a "mainstream" sort or in a crappy "cover" band (uchhh). The exceptions are festivals and university gigs.

In fact, I've toured the U.S. with a number of European artists and they're always quite shocked to discover that they're responsible for finding their own accommodation and (often) scrounging their own meals. My former band toured with the aforementioned Finns, Circle, a few years back: three of the five were on the dole, and rather disturbed to discover that a refractory epileptic such as myself (who seizes constantly while on tour) can't even get health insurance.

17. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

And how . Even the Music Professor, Me partner in crime he makes shit . Main stream could learn a few things about music from that guy . His Brother Has a show on Public radio and I imagine he don't make shit either . I think about my aunt Linda . She was head of day time programing for N.B.C. several years back and I don't know if she made shit , but her house and life style indicated she didn't make shit . I think there is a miss conception with even main stream artists . After they get finished partying and paying roadies, other musicians , sound people , stage hands and the likes unless you go big time you just don't make all that much. It is a labor of love . Scales , don't even go there . 4 hour ain't nothing . When a guy has no rhythm and needs to get some 4 hours don't cut it . Glad I got those days out of my way while I was still a teenager .
    I played in a band called the High Tops and that band made pretty good extra money . You could count on 2 grand for a show , play once a month and that was pretty good extra money above the day job compared to most bar venues . It was all 50s music . 3 chord wonders . Oh it drove Me crazy . Not my thing, but the Americans love the shit. There was a drummer in the band . Wish I could locate Him now . Last time I saw him he wanted to get together , but the band has Bill . I didn't know the Mary thing was going to happen then . Bill can't play Jazz or he would be it . We need a drummer that understands rudiments . Mark the old drummer from the High Tops does . Mary's getting nervous . Must get a suitable drummer . My main man at the Music store just told me drummers in town are all working and hard to come by . All of them are playing in several bands already

18. spanglo Registered Senior Member

Anyone listen to electronic music?

http://www.box.net/public/5udabs8a1u

The page I've linked above is a collection my favorite electronic music DJ mixes, and a few of my own. I mixed the "Live..." sets for after hour parties, keeping me awake on long drives, and for working out. The music I play was created by others, is mixture of vocal house, electro, tech house, hard driving techno, and tends to have very high energy.

19. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

My niece loves this shit . I have heard some amazing techno my self over the last several years . I will tell you the king of canned music . The Michael Jackson of canned music step on down " MILES RICHMOND " my old buddy who I took many guitar skills from . That dude can play guitar like nothing you have ever seen . Don't let him fool you into thinking otherwise for he is kind of bashful about it all . He comes from the victim class of Americans Like Me . The internet has been good for his soul . He told Me that about 2 years ago and you know what " I think he is right . Thanks for your support Miles . He probably is reading this as he does know very well who Mekigal is . Stop laughing Miles . I said stop it is not a joke said the thief to the joker

20. gmilam Valued Senior Member

21. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

Is that you doing that flat picking ? Shit that is good good ! Sounds like you alternate between your thumb and a pick . The tone at points has that rounded off sound of a finger. Nice Nice Doc Watson is standing proud .

Well Mary was not freaking as much last night . I put some sweetness in a song and she had an orgasm right then and there . She said my ancient ones were shining on me . I am really good at holding a notes value so me guitar does take on violin characteristics. I don't know how to explain it except you hold the value until the next note encompasses the sound of the last notes .
    Mary had an incident at work . She is Hospice and she was at the old folks home and this 101 year old man was burning holes in her with his staring . He was a Teacher at the University here in Missoula and a avid violinist. Mary asked Him why he was starting . He said he was attracted to her for reasons he could not explain . She asked him if he wanted one of his violins and he said yes you pick it out for he had about 8 violins . She picked it out and he tried to play it with not much luck . Mary still is bewildered from the experience for he is always asleep when she has been there before and was shocked to see him alert like that . Crazy shit . Mary comes from an old Croatian family of Violinists a lot like Me and my German Family of Violinists

22. gmilam Valued Senior Member

Anything that reminds you of Doc Watson has to be my friend Kavin. He's a much better acoustic picker than I am. Moves from pick to fingers seamlessly. I'll pass your praise his way.

23. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I saw Apocalyptica a couple of years ago. Dynamite concert!