Music Video: MSI - Shut Me Up Directed by Johnen Vasquez

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Mystech, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Mystech Adult Supervision Required Registered Senior Member

I'm admittedly a little out of the loop when it comes to newer (as in made in the last 10 years or so) music, but a friend turned me on to MSI recently, and I was surprised to find that one of their videos was directed by goth-subculture super star, Jhonen Vasquez.

Vasquez was, in the mid-late 90s well known for his underground comic titles "Johnny The Homicidal Maniac", "Squee", and "I Feel Sick", which were essentially required reading for any self respecting (hating?) high-school aged goth. He later went on to work with nickelodeon and create the work he's probably best known for, the cartoon show "Invader Zim".

Anyhow I hadn't heard anything from Jhonen (mostly because I was hoping for a return to comic work) since Zim was canned and figured he basically dropped off the planet 'till I found this MSI Video.

This video is extremely well done and it's quite exciting how well Jhonen's visual aesthetic translates to live action. Many of the shots wherein a foot or hand zooms in from out of frame, or wherein we get a strangely angled close-up using a wide angled lens, making for a sense of extreme foreshortening bordering on fish-eye seem like they could have come directly from the panels of his earlier comic work, and really seem to scream of his presence in the video's production.

I strongly recommend a viewing with a critical eye, it's sure to bring back waves of nostalgia for anyone who wore white makeup and black clothes to school in the mid 90s.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3435468188474233742&q=MSI - shut me up

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

Sounds like DEVO.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.