Muslim Women Dress Code?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by shorty_37, Oct 7, 2008.

1. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Ok I would like to be enlightened about the Muslim dress code for women.

I have seen a lot of women coming to the school dressed in head to toe black only showing their eyes . Is this what they call a burqa ?
    Does it have to be all black? because some of them use a patterned material for the head part. I saw a woman today with a black and white checkered head scarf and the rest all in black.

What is the difference between a head scarf that shows the face, compared to one that completely covers the face? Does it have to do with religion? or from what regions they come from? :shrug:

What kind of shoes should be worn? Does it matter? I see a lot of them in wearing running shoes like this one woman today with NIKE AIRS... Frankly it looks absolutely ridiculous.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I don't think there is a universal Muslim women dress code, two of my fellow lab mates are Muslim, one is completely modern in her dress code. Another one wears a Hijab, usually very flamboyantly colored and decorated hijabs at that.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I agree. I see no point in drawing attention like that. A Muslim womans dress code is whatever she chooses it to be. From this in Saudi Arabia:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

to this in Iran:

to this in India:

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

So a woman that is covered from head to toe only showing her eyes, could show her face the next day? :shrug: Or do they stick to one particular way of dressing.

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its whatever they culturally consider as normal. I remember one Bedouin woman asking me why in the west, where it is cold, woman want to be naked like poor tribals.

9. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Well here in Canada we wonder how the Indians can wear only flip flops in the winter.

10. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I think it cultural norms, but I don't know, lets see
    Turkish Graduate student = Completely Modern
    Malaysian Graduate student = Flamboyant Hajab

but two sample does not make a survey, next would be to try to find surveys and compare of women in predominantly Muslim countries. Another effector could be Muslim in non-muslim dominated countries may be more lacks on average in dress code, or maybe it only coverts over with 2nd-3rd generation immigrants.

11. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I have seen some of the daughters with the women with only the eyes showing. Their daughters wear the black head scarf but not over the face. Do they only start covering the face at a certain age?

12. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Yes and No depending on place and culture.

13. nova900 more spirituality,less dogma Registered Senior Member

Heard on the news this morn on the way to work that a Saudi cleric has called for a burqa that covers everything except for one eye..reason is that he feels some women are using makeup on their eyes and this is offensive.I guess only one eye showing,even with makeup would be preferable.

Some say this is strictly cultural but it really seems like a extreme religous interpretation of the Quaran as opposed to those who take a liberal interpretation.Like many of the women I worked with a few yrs ago that were from Iran..they seemed much more liberal in their dress code and said they had come to the west to escape the extreme religous b/s in Iran.

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I have seen Saudi women in Mumbai without niqab, so I guess it pretty much depends on the individual. There are some families in India where no one wears any face covering or burqa then one girl in the family will adopt it for personal reasons, this is also something increasingly common in western countries where women are wearing the hijab to defy what they see as ridiculing of Muslims. I would have done it too, but my family has yet to recover from the last time I wore it.

15. Balerion Banned Banned

I love how Sam portrays it as if it was all the women's idea to dress like Sand People from Star Wars...Ha!

"It's whatever she wants it to be!"

Yeah, except when she walks outside showing some elbow and gets stoned to death for it. Or raped and told by the courts she had it coming.

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I've lived in Saudi Arabia, only women who have lived outside of it are comfortable without niqab. The Saudi women are offended if you ask them to take it off. One of them told me, if I am so liberal, I should take off my shirt!

Uh please, I've been places in the US where I am the only one [apart from little kids] wearing a two piece bikini. I've never seen such prudes!

Can you tell me who was the last woman stoned for showing elbow? The rape thing is not very unusual. I've read of a case in Australia? where a man who raped an 11 year old was let off because the judge decided she was wearing "provocative clothing" and had it coming

The muttawas only have their way because the people don't like to go against the king [it is a dictatorship]. Sorta like Americans have no idea how to close down the torture camps their government operates.

17. shaman_ Registered Senior Member

What? Provide me with a link for this story please.

If that happened here the judge and the rapist would be lynched.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Oh alright, it was in the UK.

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/1494590.judge_claims_paedophile_victim_dressed_provocatively/

19. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Wow, what a nut job, oh will if one western judge says it so then it must be a universal truth in the west! So I'm going to go out and rape a women just because I like how she dressed, and if anyone has a problem with it, its her fault. Rrrrrrrrrriiight, and mean while in secularized countries women at least think they have the freedom to dress how ever they want and not be blamed as the victim, a status equal to men.

20. shaman_ Registered Senior Member

.. and he wasn't let off either Sam.

He was "given concurrent two-year and 18-month sentences, but could will be free in months after spending eight months in jail on remand."

That is discraceful anyway. Castrate him.... and the judge.

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

He's already out.

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Isn't that the standard that you all applied for the Saudi case?

And yeah, Saudi men cover up too.

23. shaman_ Registered Senior Member

Well surely some local vigilantes could take care of it.