Muslims promote Sharia law. Why do Christians not promote their law?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Greatest I am, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

Muslims promote Sharia law. Why do Christians not promote their law?

Some Muslim communities run with Sharia law. Other nations with a high Muslim population promote Sharia. It would seem from this phenomenon that Muslim law can be used to run a society as it does so in a few countries.

I know of no country that uses Christian or biblical law and have not heard of any Christian effort to have their law accepted in their nation.

This indicates that either Muslims are more religious than Christians, or Christians know that their laws would never be accepted as the law of the land.

Meanwhile, the vast majority of nations have rejected both sets of religious laws for a more secular approach to law and governance.

Briefly ---

Which of these three sets of laws do you think are superior and why?

Regards
    DL

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. billvon Valued Senior Member

They do; it's called Western law. It is founded on Christian principles. Even the documents that we used to establish law in this country refer to God. It hasn't been until relatively recently (1950 or so) that US courts have stopped using "it's what God would have wanted" to decide cases.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Hello;

Matthew: 15-22 becomes the 'first' building block with which Christians formed the belief that Jesus was suggesting separation of Church and State.

And I for one, like it that way. lol

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's called the enlightenment. It improved society in a way that centuries of Christian rule never did.

8. Gage Registered Senior Member

+1 It's ingrained in us, we've become desensitized to it.

9. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I completely hadn't thought along these lines, because as Gage's post points out...we have grown desensitized to it.
    Despite my own beliefs, Ive never believed in "faith" or a "majority religion" becoming part of a governing set of laws. There is too much danger in that.

As always, billvon, you illuminate important points and get me to think.

10. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

Most of the Ten Commandments are in the Book of the Dead.
    Nothing in Christianity is unique in terms of moral values. A lot is immoral in fact.

Regards
    DL

11. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

If only it were true.

It may have been written as the first building block but we both know that the churches and religions went from there to controlling most governments to the point like England Germany and France, the government had to fight back. Religions became too powerful.

Regards
    DL

12. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

Are you saying enlightened Christians know that their laws suck?

Or that secularism had to teach them what good laws where?

Regards
    DL

13. billvon Valued Senior Member

And still appear on some US courthouses.

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The facade of a courthouse is not a legally binding document.

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Yes, both.

16. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

20/20

Regards
    DL

17. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

Not surprising given the heritage.
    They are still a plagiarized set of rules.

Regards
    DL

18. Yazata Valued Senior Member

Christianity isn't a legalistic religion in the same way that traditional Judaism and Islam are. Christianity doesn't possess a detailed law governing all aspects of life. Christian clergy aren't primarily jurists and legal scholars.

19. Yazata Valued Senior Member

I think that the source of most Western law is ancient Roman law, extensively modified by Germanic tribal tradition in the early medieval period.

In the late 18th century, when the United States was established, the issue was defending the 'bottom-up' rights and liberties of individual citizens in the face of the 'top-down' power of the state, personified by the monarch. (Today, the issues haven't changed very much.)

The founders of the United States were opposing the traditional idea that all rights and powers flow downwards from the absolute monarch, in whom all soverignty resides. In that kind of scheme, individuals only possess those rights and liberties that the monarch condescends to let them exercise, subject to the monarch rescinding them whenever he desires.

In place of this theory of absolute monarchy, the American founders substituted the idea that each individual receives his or her rights and liberties direct from God himself. The monarch has no say in that. Soverignty resides in the people themselves, and the state only exists dependent on the people's will, so as to fulfill their purposes.

That kind of idea ultimately derives from classical scholarship and from the model of the kind of popular democracy that once existed in ancient Athens.

20. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

True. They are more like con men out to fleece and butcher sheep.

Regards
    DL

21. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Laws based on Christianity don't suck wholesale. Murder is bad. Stealing is bad. But there are many elements wedded, obviously, to belief and the maintenance thereof. Those are the ones to dodge.

22. billvon Valued Senior Member

Correct. However, it speaks to which principles the courthouse chooses to espouse.

23. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

Like stoning fornicators and unruly children. Yes.

Regards
    DL