"My Ignorance is as Good as Your Knowledge" --Asimov

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by danshawen, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Tralay Registered Member

This is an electric reality that we live in. As such, everything within it is composed of electrons all vibrating at perspective frequencies. If one were to theoretically stand out of this reality and create a test of it with an osciliscope they wouldn't be ale to tell the difference between humans or their thoughts and ideas based on the sine waves they would detect, unless they were to have that data already ready for them. So therefore, our idea of what "real" actually is would be based on how deep you want to go

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

I very much doubt that the "hoi polloi" or whatever applicable population is highlighted by the topic (which intellects are supposedly frowning upon) would usually refer to their own personal views as "ignorance", anyway. The statement would not be the original remarks, but a reflection of how a purported scholarly authority has already subjectively evaluated or framed the discourse later (i.e., "You are of an unlearned group. Your claimed knowing or feeling about _X_ is wrong or equivalent to ignorance"). The statement is not a fragment of a non-mediated account of what might transpire in such cases or encounters. A filter and judgment has already been descriptively implemented.

- - -

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tralay Registered Member

I agree, it is doubtful that the sentence would actually catch a ride on someone's breath in the first place.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I don't think it's uncommon for people to think that their ''knowledge'' is as good as anyone else's, thus the meaning of Asimov's quote? Ignorance and knowledge are close cousins, in that many people think they have knowledge of a particular topic, but they are really quite ignorant. I guess this is Asimov being flip about it. lol

8. kx000 Valued Senior Member

In my religon we believe that Lucifer is the living emodiement of knowledge and was sent here by YHWH in order for the heavens to not be ignorant of human suffering resulting in the creation of science on earth.

9. Neddy Bate Valued Senior Member

Is this a "tree of knowledge" thing? Or a Lucifer = "morning star" thing?

10. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Think it is more a - making up brown stuff - thing so - we are different - from the others who make up brown stuff

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. kx000 Valued Senior Member

That light is the element of knowledge, and morality, and that Lucifer is already called the light bearer caused me to rebecome enlightened.

It's a forbidden fruit thing, and that forbidden fruit must be war.

12. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Here's the full quote, posted two years ago:

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.

It's not so much about thinking that you have knowledge when you don't (although that's probably part of it). It's more about thinking your opinion should "count" for just as much as the opinion of an expert, even if you know essentially nothing.

These days we see this kind of attitude on display everywhere. In relation to science, we see it from parents who refuse to vaccinate their children, and we see it from the people who continue to deny that global heating is happening. There's a general distrust of experts of all kinds. If you need a good example of the kind of attitude being discussed by Asimov, look no further than your current Commander in Chief.

wegs likes this.
  13. river

Indeed

Trust .