Name your favourite BioFuel Technology

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Singularity, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

That is lame, nonsense. Lots of coutries, even ones that US indirectly runs, like Afganistan, make tons of much more dangerous drugs. If it were good as you say for biofuels, Brazil sure would be using it, and many others. If that lame responce is best you can do, I must conclude your support for hemp is more related to its :m: use than biofuel source.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Billy, you're a little bit old to be acting like that.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Attacking one who ask for your reason, instead of giving one, is even laimer than your first non-sense. Again I ask: Why is hemp not used anywhere as a source of biofuel, if it is as good as you say?

In Brazil alone million of dollars are being spent on investigating how to most economically make biodiesel and at least 7 potential plant sources* have been considered, but hemp is not one.

Yes I am old enough to know that when millions are being spent to find the most economical source, by investigators much more qualified than you or I, this failure of hemp to be a candidate worth more investigation does imply it is not a good source.
    --------------------------------------
    *current issue of Scientific American (Portuguese version, so may have appeared earlier in English) is entirely devoted to energy - these seven are listed in a table in the biodiesel section.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2006
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

So you want to pretend that significant bits of world history simply didn't happen, like the U.S. using extremely poisonous herbicides against farmers in Mexico, a country that we weren't at war with? Or that the U.S. does not pressure anyone who wants to grow significant amounts of hemp? Or that the oil industry is not absolutely nuts to prevent the use of alternative fuel sources that could actually replace petroleum?

8. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

No, I don't want to do, or pretend, any of that. It is clear what I want, after asking three times:

I want you to answer the question, not attack one who ask or raise other diversion.

Again: If hemp is a good as you say, why have ALL countries (especailly, Brazil or India, which US has as friends and who are spending millions on plant research for biofuel sources) not thought hemp a source worth serious consideration compared to seven others?

PS - I do not know about India, but in addition to coffee, "there is a awful lot of :m: in Brazil" so there is no reason why it could not be grown for biofuel also if it were any good for that use.

9. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

I already answered that question.

10. Roman Banned Banned

With unsubstantiated delusion.

11. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I suspect his inability to understand that that is the case is due to the effects of other* use of :m: he must be enjoying.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

----------------------------------
    *Other than rope making that is, not "other than biofuel" as it seems to be useless for biofuel.

12. erich_knight Erich J. Knight Registered Senior Member

13. draqon Banned Banned

14. erich_knight Erich J. Knight Registered Senior Member

I have sent them an email for installation costs at diferrent scales and feedstocks. Will report back.

RE: Nature Article — the link given will not allow access without being a subscriber to Nature.

I posted it Before Nature started requiring a subscribing membership, here is a link to the original pdf version. The pdf version is still accessible without a membership.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v442/n7103/pdf/442624a.pdf

15. Singularity Banned Banned

Can u believe this, sounds like MiddleEast is going bankrupt.

http://in.news.yahoo.com/061211/48/6a7f7.html

...a project to produce a complete alternative to petrol blended fuels from non edible vegetable oils like jatropha and castor. It involves thermal cracking of non-edible vegetable oil at high temperature and pressure using a silica alumina catalyst, to produce a hydrocarbon compound that can directly substitute petrol/ diesel as an energy source.....

(please save a copy of the article before its taken offline)

16. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Or they could squeeze hemp seeds in a wooden press and strain it through cloth.

17. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

it will cost too much. just think of the complexity and energy needed to produce what is equivalent to crude oil. I don't see any way of making that cheaper than middle-eastern crude... the stuff practically pours out of the ground.

your hemp ideas seem to be a bit too optimistic.

18. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

How so?

19. Singularity Banned Banned

"These trees produce 97 lakh tonnes of oil bearing seeds, yet only 12 per cent has been used so far,'' he said.

I hope u can read http://in.news.yahoo.com/061211/48/6a7f7.html

20. Singularity Banned Banned

I think Hemp seed is a biProduct of Hemp Fiber production, if thats true then whats stopping us ?

Please give a link about Hemp Seed and its Oil for fuel

I think this monkey is owner of an Arabic Oil well.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2007
  21. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Google results

A lot of them talk about esterifying the stuff to make a different fuel, but I think that pure hemp oil is the best way to go.

22. Singularity Banned Banned

Thanks, all this is really shocking.

http://ambergriscaye.com/BzLibrary/trust512.html

but this one say that third world countries are really third class.

23. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

I think that it is unfortunate that the biodiesel bandwagon looks like it is going to go with reformulating natural oils to be more like petroleum-based diesel fuel. Maybe they have to to gain support from some chemical company, but I personally would prefer to be able to simply squeeze the fuel out, put it in the tank, and use it. That way, yes, diesel fuel grows on trees and we need very little in technology just to run our cars.

Hemp grows quite well in places where farmers don't like to plant and is more likely to grow on soils that aren't suitable for other crops. It can also be grown in forests if those forests aren't too dense. I see the oil as a basic fuel, a primary energy source that can readily be used to run all sorts of high technology, so if need be, if you have a portable generator and a stock of power tools, you can build a hi-tech village from scratch and keep the computer and entertainment center. Any readily available fuel is the difference between civilization and subsistence.