NASA At 'Critical Crossroad'

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by wet1, Apr 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Space Agency Chief: NASA At 'Critical Crossroad'

Oh, could it be someone is waking up at NASA? Please understand I am not a NASA basher on the whole. They have opened the doors to the beginnings of space exploration. Politics and political inspirations have had serious affects on the mission choices and IMHO the integrity of the NASA as a whole. The integrity of NASA is critical to its continued pursuit in the realms of space exploration. Without the public’s belief that what NASA puts out is both of value and a continuing inspiration it’s funds will dry up. If it’s funding disappears then we begin the slide off the pentacle of cutting edge tech into obviation that comes with falling behind. Rekindling the imagination should have been one of the foremost things in NASA’s aims from the very beginning.

Colorado Springs, Colorado – NASA wants to rekindle the spirit of space exploration, but finds its long-term future coming up short due to inadequate power and propulsion technologies.
    NASA chief Sean O’Keefe has begun wrestling with space agency goals for the 21st century. He presented a sweeping review of challenges facing the civilian organization here at the 18th National Space Symposium, sponsored by the Space Foundation.
    Recapture the spirit
    Buoyed by the docking of Atlantis to the International Space Station, O’Keefe said that he is in the process of selecting a program executive officer for the International Space Station (ISS). A task of that individual is to better integrate how each of NASA’s enterprises can utilize the unique capabilities of the orbiting outpost.
    Looking beyond the ISS, O’Keefe said that a near-term objective is to recapture a spirit of exploration.
    “We are at this point, I am convinced, at a very critical crossroad in the agency’s history as well as I think in the aerospace community at large,” O’Keefe said

For the rest of the article:*here*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.