NASA has been shutdown!

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by TuesdayNightCompany, Oct 5, 2013.

1. TuesdayNightCompany Registered Member

All NASA employees have been sent home, with the exception of a few that run the unfortunate astronauts in the ISS, the guys still working on the MAVEN project, and a few select other groups.
    Everyone else?
    Go home.
    There's less than 600 of about 18,000 NASA employees still working as of Oct 4th.
    Website is down, Twitter is down, phone lines are down.
    There's no one to run the Hubble should it need to temporarily shutdown in the face of radiation, which it does several times a year. When it shuts down, someone has to manually command it to reboot.
    There's no one to do that.
    The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is still running, thanks to the fact that they're run by California Institute of Technology employees, who aren't government employees.
    MAVEN, which has to be launched towards Mars by Dec. 7th, is still okay.
    Honestly guys, I'm freaking out here. We could stand to lose a ridiculous amount of astronomical data, and the entire space program, already on crutches, could be eliminated. Even ground-based astronomy is losing out, due to the shutdown of the Very Large Array and probably others I don't know about.
    When the shutdown ends is unknown, and what condition things will be in is unknown.

Thoughts? Panic attacks? Information?
    Do tell.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. arauca Banned Banned

I wonder is congress made of American people ? or is there a Syrian conspiracy.

Do congress man and senators , give a dam about this country ? or they think they are self centered entity which does not give a dam but only about thenselves ?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

well basically it goes like this...NASA subsidiaries are still operating and so are NASA employees under them, and majorly all missions pretty much are ran using other companies through NASA>

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Seattle Valued Senior Member

When one thinks of the government shutting down the first problem that comes to mind isn't NASA.

8. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

...but what?

9. Seattle Valued Senior Member

The financial markets become unstable, people losing their jobs or income, agencies shutting down when you are required to make use of them, etc.

10. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

Military, justice, health, education . . .

Here's a pretty extensive summary of how sweeping the shutdown is.
    http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2013/09/politics/government-shutdown-impact/

It looks multifaceted. It seems to single out any agencies they might target as "Big Government" plus some targets that look cynically chosen -- Obama's legal office, and his office on Budget. (I haven't noticed that they've shut themselves down).

Also, look at DOJ. They managed to shut down civil and anti-trust litigation.

11. common_sense_seeker Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador Valued Senior Member

The Juno site is also closed. It's making it's flyby on Oct 9th. It will need a trajectory tweak just after Earth closest approach. Will staff be watching for a flyby anomaly? Will the data be recorded and recoverable afterwards?

12. arauca Banned Banned

I can't believe how irresponsible the so called representable of the people are

Next question : do this people who are off work will the get back pay, for their days off ?

13. arauca Banned Banned

I would believe the NASA employe wold be loyal to the job , they will not abandon their fellow coworker in jeopardy or in danger, I wold think at some point their dedication to science becomes more important then the paycheck.

14. someguy1 Registered Senior Member

You don't need to worry. The wars, the torture, and the spying continue without interruption.

15. ForrestDean Registered Senior Member

I'm curious. Why is there so much concern and hype over this government shutdown? Is it because there are 7+ billion people on the planet? Is it because the Internet is so prevalent and people can spread a lot more information/fear to a lot more people much more quickly these days? It it because of technology? Is it because that our economy is not recovering like many are claiming it is and society is much weaker now than ever before and on the verge of collapsing? All of the above? None of the above? Why all the commotion, fuss and fear?

16. arauca Banned Banned

To me is very simple Those overpaid bastard in the congress playing a game that might affect the economy . Now if the people who are off don't get paid the is how should it be but if they get paid then we the public who pay their salary give them more vacation for doing nothing

17. billvon Valued Senior Member

Because fear works.

18. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

It's not clear. This has happened several times in the past. Sometimes they were paid, sometimes they were not. This shutdown will probably be the longest ever, and I doubt very much that the same people who caused it (the "Tea Party" faction of the Republican Party) will be willing to reimburse the federal employees for back pay.

In any case, many private contractors will be off work. The companies they work for won't be reimbursed for the shutdown, so they won't have the money to pay their employees.

Because the federal government is the largest employer in the USA, with more than ten million employees (last time I checked). And that doesn't count contractors: a number that no one has ever figured out but is probably of the same order of magnitude. Putting all of those people out of work at once will be a tremendous blow to the economy. We will see a recession like we haven't seen in decades.

Actually less than half of the federal workforce is on furlough because so many of them are deemed "essential." But the majority of the contractors will be unemployed for the duration.

The United States is still the world's largest economy. When we have a problem it reverberates throughout the entire world. There will be layoffs in China and Pakistan as our people cut back on their spending. Canada is our biggest trading partner (because of petroleum) and they will be very hard hit. Mexico will also suffer and they are not as wealthy as the Canadians.

This is a global problem, not a local problem.

19. ForrestDean Registered Senior Member

Ahh, so the reason for all the concern is because we have a lot more people on the planet than say 20 years ago? And because there is more people today a government shutdown in the past wouldn't be as significant as a government shutdown today?

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's important because we very much need the government.

21. arauca Banned Banned

Hi spiddergoat . are you a fed. gov. employe ? if so how is it affecting you ?

22. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

Adding to what spidergoat said, the concern surrounds all of the work which should be going on which is left undone. Ultimately people are only concerned about things that affect them directly, or else things they see coming down the pike which are likely to affect them, and/or the things which affect people they know, or strangers for whom they feel compassion.

The only questions that seem to be relevant to your remarks are: what work is being left undone, and what are the consequences? How does that affect me? How does that affect other people I care about, or people I don't know, but who I do not wish to become the random victims of the Republican struggle for power?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  23. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I'm not so selfish that my only concern is for my own short term well being.