NASA seeking ideas for Europa mission

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Arne Saknussemm, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

So what do you say we SciForagers all team up and come up here with a few ideas for NASA?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Click the cool picture to see the article

Suggestion: duck calls - sorry, that's all I got :shrug:

Question: if they do find life on Europa, won't they be Europeans?

Follow-up Question: What then will we call Earth's Europeans?

Suggestion: Western Eurasians

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

A month ago I started a thread about the Earth's interior ocean, and Trippy contributed these images to the discussion:

If these proportions are accurate, there's more water on Europa than on Earth - all the more tantalizing, wouldn't you say?

Incidentally, if that doesn't look like much water on Earth, consider what Henry David Thoreau wrote about the depth of Walden Pond (and remember he was a trained and experienced land surveyor)

The same holds true for the Earth's oceans. They may seem deep from our puny point of view, but given the size of the Earthly orb even the Marianas Trench barely dents the surface.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Send a rover that can use a laser to bore through the ice and drop a fishing line in to see what will bite!

Actually the rover would be like those on Mars now only remade for its Europa trek across ice. Fit it with instuments that can take samples and video the surface.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

Good idea. And since we used to name rockets and probes after Greek gods, could we name this one after a Christian elder? I'm thinking 'The Saint Peter Probe', get it?

8. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

Serious note: what to bait your fish hook with? We dare not 'contaminate' Europa with Terran proteins, do we?

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

It would have to be an artificial type of lure so that it could hold up to the severe conditions on Europa. It would emit a electronic signal to attract the critters living under the ice.

I'd think the the name Poseidon would be more appropriate for this mission if they ever actually do it.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  10. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

but Titan's water has not been proved to exist...it might as well be liquid ethane/methane/propane

for Europa mission I propose the Venus Express' instrument Visible and Infrared Thermal Imaging Spectrometer the one that detected hydroxyl in Venesian atmosphere, could skim over the water clouds of Europa's geysers.