Nazi Food?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by D'ster, Aug 23, 2006.

1. D'ster Registered Senior Member

Row over Hitler-themed restaurant
    Tuesday, 22 August 2006,

The Jewish community in the Indian city of Mumbai (Bombay) is outraged by a new restaurant named after Adolf Hitler.

The restaurant, Hitler's Cross, opened last week in the city's outskirts, initially displaying a giant poster of Hitler at the entrance.

The owner says he will not change the name.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/5275866.stm

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. perplexity Banned Banned

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

(Romeo and Juliet, Act II, Scene II)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Thats pretty bizarre, I must admit.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

D'ster, I still can't take you seriously, but at least this one's mildly hilarious. Well done.

8. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

geez, dont encourage him.

9. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

How can every comedian be Jewish, and yet, as a people, none of them have a sense of humor?

10. Soror Registered Member

Maybe it's the 'no one can make fun of us but us' principle?
    (see also: 'No one can beat up my little sister but me.')

11. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

Maybe it's a middle eastern thing. Remember the Danish cartoons? Remember the Danish embassy? Better check that local Indian embassy is still standing...

12. Bells Staff Member

What amuses me about this story is that Hitler is probably rolling over in his grave at the thought of such a restaurant (being what appears to be in homage to his very self) being opened in India. Nazis would scream in horror. This restaurant is not an insult so much to the Jews but to Nazis as a whole.

Now do you honestly think Hitler would be happy that someone named Punit Shablok was opening an eatery (and planning a chain) named after him? If I was the owner, not only would I have Hitler's image on the seat of each chair, knowing how well the very man would take having a bunch of coloured folks planting their arses on his face, but also on the toilet seats as well.. take the theme the whole way.

Personally I think it's hilarious.

13. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

I want to go to Bombay and eat at this place. It sounds glorious on all levels. And I shall heil! Heil! Right in der Fuhrer's face!

14. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Anyone that gets offended by the name should re-examine their own beliefs. Words don't always imply intention.

15. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

I read this on another forum. It makes me seriously question the validity of humanity's existence. Racists and neonazis disgust me on so many levels.

16. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Hapsburg:

You are a walking pile of contradictions. You are a nihilist in the ethical sphere, yet have a problem with people's behaviours.

17. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

LOL! I just saw the thread. Do you think they serve kosher food there?

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

It's Mumbai; there are no racists or neo-nazis, just new ways of grabbing headlines in a very commercial, very multicultural, very tolerant and incredibly divine city. (I'm a Mumbaikar, I know

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mumbai_culture

Mumbai is known to be one of the most liberal and cosmopolitan cities of India, with the city embracing many concepts which would be taboo in other cities.

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

What's funny about this?

20. mountainhare Banned Banned

What ever happened to free speeech?

I mean, it is INDIA. Not Israel. So the whinings and bitchings of the microminority of Jewish immigrants is incidental. Suck it up, nancies. You don't like the restaurant's name? Then don't go there.

Whiny European Jews at it again. Won't they ever shut up?

It would be interesting to see what music this restaurant played in the background. The Horst Wessel? Deutchsland Erwache? Perhaps they should blast it out of the speakers into the neighbours, just to piss off the whiny Jews.

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

They immigrated in the 2nd century BCE to escape persecution from the Romans. Surely they can be considered Indians now?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

http://www.shamash.org/lists/scj-faq/HTML/faq/13-09.html

22. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Samcdkey:

They have a distinct religion, distinct culture, distinct practices...They are no more Indian than I am.

But I must agree with Mountainhare. The Jews are bitching again and it is sickening. Truly. They cannot stop whining and then wonder why they are hated.

23. mountainhare Banned Banned

samcdkey:
    No, 'they' did not. Read your own damn link. Only the Bene Israelis immigrated during the 2nd century BC. The other three groups did not.

Also, I mentioned in my previous post that I was referring to European (aka. White) Jews.

Prince:
    I can imagine the Jewish chant (if they had one). These would be the first two lines:

"Boo, hoo, hoo,
    I am a Jew, Jew, Jew"