Near Death Experience

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Zapper, Jul 12, 1999.

1. Zapper Registered Senior Member

Does a 'Near Death Experience' mean there is life after death ?
    I'm talking about a Near Death Experience where the person has seen, herd, or been aware of something that he/she should not have normally known. or been aware of, such as a loved one miles away from the person dieing washing the dog or doing something the dieing person can talk about and describe when coming out of the experience.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Zapper (edited July 14, 1999).]

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Boris Senior Member Registered Senior Member

Without having to go through trauma, another convenient way to experience something you cold never experience otherwise is (suspence... drums...) dropping acid!

Not that I'd recommend it. But it just goes to show you that in extreme circumstances the brain can misfire in rather interesting ways...

------------------
    I am; therefore I think.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Zapper Registered Senior Member

Boris

Call me gullable, but I can't buy into the
    "the brain misfiring" in all casses. True
    this can and probally does happen in some cases, but to misfire in such a way that a person can observe someone else doing something miles away is a bit too much for me to buy into in all casses.
    Perhaps someday this can easily be explained by Quantom Theory, but for now I can't just push it to the side as a 'just a cool
    happeing'.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Carla Rolfe Registered Member

Q: Does a 'Near Death Experience' mean there is life after death ?

No, a NDE doesn't confirm life after death, it's simply an experience. If you believe the Bible, you already believe in life after physical death. If you don't believe the Bible, life after death still exists, regardless of NDE.

Many people have had these NDE's, and come away from them with knowlege that they couldn't have known in any other possible way... or so they think.

Here's the interesting thing about NDEs. In the majority of cases anyone ever hears about, the person dies, is transported down this lovely tunnel, and into a presence of love, light, beautiful sights and sounds. Many people claim to see Jesus or God, and/or dead loved ones.

The Bible doesn't support this though. Scripture is REAL clear on God's holiness, and who will, or will not ever enter His presence. Those who have rejected Jesus, either intentionally or just passively didn't care enough to make any kind of choice about eternity - will NOT be in the presence of God.

So when you line up these NDEs with Scripture, they don't fit. I've always found it interesting that people have these experiences, and then suddenly have no fear of dying, and ALSO don't have any motivation to accept Jesus as Lord.

If the Bible is true (and it is) and it says that one MUST be born again to enter into the kingdom of God (and it does, John 3:3), then who's behind these NDEs, causing people to believe they can die and enter heaven, without the acceptance of Jesus as Lord?

I'll give you a hint, he used to be an angel, pride overtook him, he was cast down out of God's presence, and he hates humanity more than humanity can ever fathom.

------------------
    In His peace... Carla

8. Yin Yang Registered Member

Carla my friend, You make a beautiful prospect sound so cold, clinical and scientific. It seems today we rush to find a rational explanation to every experience. Let's face it science "can" explain everything in one way or another, but why should everything be so clear cut? People need to believe in such things, I need to believe too!

Will there be nothing left undiscovered for our children? Will the Bible and all the scriptures simply end up being explained away scientificaly?

God, I hope not..Where are we going to?

Peace.

9. Zapper Registered Senior Member

Carla, or Whoever

I've played your game, so to speak and I don't need any religious or bible lessons.
    I've made my decisions and live with them quite well.
    Since I'm not throwing my beliefs in your face, please get get out of mine. Play your 'I know it and you don't game with someone who wants to hear it'.
    If being chosen means being around a bunch of dimbo's please pass me by.

10. Lori Registered Senior Member

Here's a thought. It seems to me that all of this is too much to blow-off as some electrical response in the brain. Way too much. It also seems to me that I may be able to bring two opposing viewpoints together here with this little saying..."what you expect, is what you get". So, if you don't expect to see Jesus, then you won't. If you do, then you will. If you expect that you will never leave the earth, then you won't (that's called hell). There have been many NDE's who have claimed to not like where they had been. Even one who found himself in hell, as he was an atheist, and called upon Jesus to save him, and He did! (I love that story!) There have also been others who have seemed to have been in hell, but just didn't know it. I read one where they got a tour of some institution of "higher learning", where souls were furiously studying something; hell for scientists! Those who place all the importance in their lives on how educated in the ways of the world they are. Don't get me wrong, I'm not dogging education, but it's useless without our Saviour. It's this simple; you can't believe that you're saved, if you're not. So if you believe that you are, then you are!!!

------------------
    God loves you and so do I!

11. lonergan_r Registered Member

I have a question.

How can any one say that the bible is 100% true?

It is not- it is full of contradictions and stories for 'long ago peoples' that had no knowledge of science so to try and understand the reason of life.

12. Plato Registered Senior Member

And here we go again ! lonergan_r, it is useless to start this discussion again since we 've been having it even before this board had this outlook and it didn't get us one step further. It kind of reminds me of the trench war that the first worldwar was...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

About near death experiences though, I also was kind of hoping this showed into the direction of some kind of life after death but it seems that the experiences are still very much down to earth. There have been a lot of experiments going on around losing consciousness, this can be achieved in centrifugal machines that are used to train airforce pilotes for high g-forces. While studying how much force the human body can manage before passing out they stumbled upon an explanation for NDE's. What happens with the pilots passing out is very similar to the NDE, they get a tunnelling sensation with their vision and feel very happy as if they just got a shot of morphine. It appears to be some kind of defence mecanism of the brain, when the body experiences some high trauma due to pain or something else it produces a drug very simular to morphine. At the same time the visual imaging area of the brain experiences some kind of electrical overload, a white noise of impulses who get concentrated at the centre in front because that is most sensitive to impulses, creating a narrowing of vision to a central point thus giving a tunnel impression.

This might seem a very clinical and cold explanation of how NDE works, it was kind of sobering for me too but it let me realise something else : the real mystery of death is still untouched. It is science's duty to unravel as much as possible of the stucture of reality thus making it easier for us to see the difference between fact and fantasy. Where ever man has found something that completely escaped his understanding, he has made something up to explain it rather then admitting he just didn't know it.
    Death is the ultimate unknown and therefore subject to a lot of fantasizing, the truth is there is only one way to find out, unfortunatly we can't come back and tell the tale...

------------------
    we are midgets standing on the backs of giants,
    Plato