Neutron , Manifestation .

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by river, Feb 17, 2022.

1. river

Why does the neutron manifest ?

Is it because the neutron is in a fluid of a sort ?

Or because it takes two protons to manifest a neutron .

If you look up the decay of a neutron , you get , a proton , electron and an anti-neutrino .

Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. river

The Hydrogen Atom has no neutron .

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Why does anything manifest?

Neutrons are just a common type of baryon. They are found in all atomic nuclei except for hydrogen-1.
    No. A neutron is a particle, rather like a proton.
    That's incorrect. No protons are needed for a neutron to exist.
    Yes. Free neutrons - not bound in atomic nuclei - tend to decay after a few minutes. The particular type of decay you mention is energetically favourable for a free neutron.

It is also possible for a proton to turn into a neutron, a positron and a neutrino, but that tends to happen only to bound protons in heavy nuclei (because, there again, it is energetically favourable).
    Hydrogen-1 has no neutron. Hydrogen-2 (a.k.a. deuterium) and Hydrogen-3 (a.k.a. tritium) have one and two neutrons, respectively.

Hydrogen-1 is the simplest possible kind of atomic nucleus, in that it can bind with an electron to create a regular hydrogen atom.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. river

Why ? With more than one proton in an atom , a neutron comes into existence , why is that ?

And electrons .

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
  8. river

Is Nuclear Fusion more about producing neutrons ? Without neutrons Helium would not exist .

9. river

More than one proton produces a neutron .

10. river

Do electrons produce a neutron ( of their sort ) , like protons do ?

11. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

No. Protons do not cause neutrons to come into existence. Who told you they did?
    No. Protons do not cause electrons to come into existence. Who told you they did?
    Nuclear fusion is about smaller nuclei fusing together to form larger ones. For the most part, no new neutrons are produced in the process.
    Yes. The Helium nucleus would be unstable and quickly decay. And so...?
    No. Why do you think that happens? Who told you that?
    Protons don't.

What do you mean by "of their sort"? Neutrons and electrons don't have a "sort", as far as I'm aware.

12. river

What does cause neutrons to come into existence ? , then .

13. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

river:

Some of them were formed in the big bang. But stars also produce neutrons in the regular fusion of hydrogen into (ultimately) helium. When a proton collides with a hydrogen nucleus under appropriate conditions, one proton can combine with an electron to produce a neutron. This is actually the first step in the proton-proton fusion chain.
    ----

P.S. Looking back over my previous replies to this thread, I realise that I neglected to point out that certain fusion processes can and do produce neutrons from protons and electrons. But that only happens under certain conditions. Proton-proton fusion, described just above, requires very high temperatures, because protons are electrically charged; free protons tend to repel each other electrically, and that repulsion has to be overcome for two protons to fuse and produce a deuterium nucleus (which contains one proton and one neutron).

I was thinking that, in the ordinary course of events, at "room temperature", protons do not produce neutrons.

I also wrote this:
    which is probably too definitive a statement. Whether neutrons are produced in a fusion reaction depends on the conditions under which that reaction is occurring, as well as in which kinds of nuclei are fusing. I should have been clearer, and I apologise for any confusion.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
  14. river

Thanks for the info .

Highlighted , what conditions ?

Hence more than likely unstable .

Helium is two Neutrons and two Protons . Where did the neutrons come from ?

15. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Here:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

exchemist likes this.
  16. river

In Summary .

17. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Maybe here?

18. river

Anyway so why does the neutron manifest ? It doesn't change the charge of the nucleus , of the atom , from positive to neutral . So why does the neutron exist ? What is it doing ?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2022
  19. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

You could equally ask why anything exists.

Neutrons are a relatively stable arrangement of quarks. They can be formed in stars. A lot of them were formed in the big bang. That explains why we see them. On the other hand, there doesn't need to be teleological* reason for their existence.

The question of what they do is the more interesting one. In atomic nuclei they do all kinds of interesting things. They add mass to the nucleus. They help to stabilise nuclei against the force of electrical repulsion between protons. They affect the magnetic properties of the nucleus. etc. etc.
    ----
    * look it up.

20. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

You could even ask why mass exists. But there isn't any answer that makes much sense, because mass has physical units.

So you might as well ask why physical units exist. Which is not the same question as why do humans call units of mass kilograms.
    That latter question will have the same kind of answer as the answer to the question, why do humans use the symbols they use to represent numbers (?).

Numbers don't have physical units. Though.
    In support of which theory, I can cite the use of the various dimensionless numbers in physics. Numbers themselves don't have dimensions, nor do the logical 'values' true or false. Nor do the probabilities of coins being heads or tails.

Right James?

21. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Right. But I think we should keep your problems with physical quantities in the separate thread where we have been discussing that topic. So I won't comment further on that here.

exchemist likes this.
  22. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

You mean the thread where you say you can't put mass in a bottle that's made of matter, which has mass?
    Or where you say you can separate the mass from the bottle? That thread?

The one that makes you look like a moron?

23. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Yes, that thread. Go there.
    I don't say that. You do. Go to that thread. How hard is it to keep your nonsense confined to one thread? Sheesh.
    There's no such thread.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2022